inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best and Worst Motion Pictures based on video games

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/06 at 10:36 pm

I was gonna do this as a poll, but I figured i'd just leave it for open discussion. 

So far my favourite has been "Resident Evil" and the sequel "Resident Evil: Apocalypse".  The "Tomb Raider" ones were pretty good also (the sequel was better than the first)

The worst one was "Double Dragon".  They turned a wicked violent game into a family film  >:(

Here's a list of a bunch of 'em (did I miss any) ...

Alone in the Dark
Doom
Double Dragon
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
House of the Dead
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2: The Cradle of Life
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Street Fighter
Super Mario Bros.
Wing Commander

Upcoming releases ...

DOA: Dead or Alive
Halo
Hitman
Hunter: The Reckoning
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Seige Tale
Mortal Kombat: Devastation
Silent Hill
Spy Hunter: Nowhere to Run

Subject: Re: Best and Worst Motion Pictures based on video games

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/25/06 at 10:52 pm

Here's my brake down:

Sucks

Double Dragon
Alone in the Dark
Wing Commander
Street Fighter
House of the Dead
Street Fighter

Ok

Resident Evil
Super Mario Bros.
Doom

Good

Mortal Kombat

Would rather never see ever

Bloodrayne

Written By: Mushroom on 03/25/06 at 11:18 pm

Has there ever really been a good one?

I guess I am still dissapointed over the failure of "Leisure Suit Larry: The Motion Picture".

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/06 at 11:22 pm

Has there ever really been a good one?

I guess I am still dissapointed over the failure of "Leisure Suit Larry: The Motion Picture".

omg they really made a movie of that?  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 12:09 am

Here's my brake down:

Sucks

Double Dragon
Alone in the Dark
Wing Commander
Street Fighter
House of the Dead
Street Fighter

Ok

Resident Evil
Super Mario Bros.
Doom

Good

Mortal Kombat

Would rather never see ever

Bloodrayne

Spinoffs of any sort tend to be on the half-baked side. Movie game franchises are the same - thought there are exceptions. I didn't think the Final Fantasy movie (the CGI one) was that good...sure it looked great, but the story was all over the place. The Mortal Kombat and Mario ones were just awful. Having said that, you should check out the official Mario brother cartoons circa 1989-1990. In fact, for those who haven't seen them, I strongly encourage you to. One's education of the period is not complete until they have viewed the SMB cartoons.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/06 at 9:26 am

Spinoffs of any sort tend to be on the half-baked side. Movie game franchises are the same - thought there are exceptions. I didn't think the Final Fantasy movie (the CGI one) was that good...sure it looked great, but the story was all over the place. The Mortal Kombat and Mario ones were just awful. Having said that, you should check out the official Mario brother cartoons circa 1989-1990. In fact, for those who haven't seen them, I strongly encourage you to. One's education of the period is not complete until they have viewed the SMB cartoons.

You mean the ones on the Super Mario Bros. Super Show?

Written By: Satish on 03/26/06 at 12:33 pm

Here's my brake down:

Sucks

Double Dragon
Alone in the Dark
Wing Commander
Street Fighter
House of the Dead
Street Fighter

You listed Street Fighter twice. Are you including some of the other Street Fighter movies, like the Japanese anime or the Hong Kong live-action spoof?  ???

Or was the 1994 movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme just so lame that you had to mention it twice? Cause I can see where you're coming from! That movie was HORRIBLE!  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 03/26/06 at 12:42 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Satish on 03/26/06 at 1:12 pm

Oh, as I mentioned earlier, there were a few animated Street Fighter movies made in Japan to go along with the 1994 movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme. Most people consider these animated movies to be vastly superior to the live-action version(although that's not saying much):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_II:_The_Animated_Movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114563/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha_%28film%29
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185708/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha:_Generations
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0495900/

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/26/06 at 4:41 pm

there has never been a good movie based off of a video game. 

Though, on second look, credit should be given to the Super Mario Brothers movie.  Yes, it was horrible...but do this, take away all references to the video game (there werent that many in there anyway).  Forget it had anything to do with Super Mario.  Now look at the movie.  Its a mindf**k.  Its a surrealistic nightmare that should scare the pants off of anyone watching it.  What the hell is happening in that movie?!?!?!?!  Now remember that its based on the video game again.  Think now: how on earth did they come up with this surrealistic vision out of a video game that had nothing to do with what the movie was about?!  THats why credit should be given to SUper Mario brothers....because the movie twists your head around in circles. 

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/26/06 at 5:51 pm

Silent Hill looks promising. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/ Roger Avery, the writer of Pulp fiction and director of Rules of attraction wrote the screenplay. I'm actually looking forward to this.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/06 at 6:22 pm

You listed Street Fighter twice. Are you including some of the other Street Fighter movies, like the Japanese anime or the Hong Kong live-action spoof?  ???

Or was the 1994 movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme just so lame that you had to mention it twice? Cause I can see where you're coming from! That movie was HORRIBLE!  ;D

My bad..... but it is my understanding that yeah, the other Street Fighter is bad too....  ;D

The most depressing thing about the Jean Claude Van Damme version, is that it was Raul Julia's last fim.  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 6:43 pm

there has never been a good movie based off of a video game. 

Though, on second look, credit should be given to the Super Mario Brothers movie.  Yes, it was horrible...but do this, take away all references to the video game (there werent that many in there anyway).  Forget it had anything to do with Super Mario.  Now look at the movie.  Its a mindf**k.  Its a surrealistic nightmare that should scare the pants off of anyone watching it.  What the hell is happening in that movie?!?!?!?!  Now remember that its based on the video game again.  Think now: how on earth did they come up with this surrealistic vision out of a video game that had nothing to do with what the movie was about?!  THats why credit should be given to SUper Mario brothers....because the movie twists your head around in circles. 

The very character of Mario does not seem set in stone. One moment he's an Italian plumber from the Mushroom Kingdom, another he's from Brooklyn, New York. Nintendo (Shigeru Miyamoto) should have worked to give Mario a distinct character with a history.etc.

I don't know if there are any other Mario cartoons, but this one features the whole Cooper clan (with changed names) with names like, 'Kootie Pie', 'Cheatsy, Bigmouth, Bullie. Bowser is sort of changed to become, 'King Koopa' as well.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/28/06 at 5:10 pm

I think there was supposed to be a Sonic the Hedgehog movie..what happened?

If they ever do any movie with Sonic..they should do it in CGI like the Shrek movies. Or get the DIC people to do an animated version based on the newer Sonic games..

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/28/06 at 6:43 pm

I though the Final Fantasy movie was o.k but not really great or anything. The Super Mario Bros. movie was horrible. I just hope next years Halo based movie works out.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 1:23 am

I think there was supposed to be a Sonic the Hedgehog movie..what happened?

If they ever do any movie with Sonic..they should do it in CGI like the Shrek movies. Or get the DIC people to do an animated version based on the newer Sonic games..

Sonic doesn't have enough CHARACTER to make it on the big screen. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/31/06 at 7:05 pm

Sonic doesn't have enough CHARACTER to make it on the big screen. 
Have you ever seen the 1990's Sonic "SatAM" cartoon? Sonic does have character....I guess as a fan of the blue hedgehog...I'm biased.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/31/06 at 7:09 pm

Does anyone here think there will ever be a Sims movie? What Sims game would be great as a movie?

Written By: twistedwarp on 04/01/06 at 1:49 pm

THE best  movie i seen  based on a video game and still is one of the best is MORTAL KOMBAT it stayed true to the story and characters. and the fighting  is wicked.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/01/06 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, I guess Mortal Kombat is the best.  Unfortunately, that doesn't say much.  Pretty much every other video game movie is downright horrible.  Mortal Kombat was the only decent one.  I don't have high hopes for the Halo movie either.  The track record of video game movies isn't exactly impressive.

Check for new replies or respond here...