inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The New Wave of A/C

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 9:42 pm

Is it me, or has A/C really undergone a revival in the past year, even if I'm not crazy about what's on it? New stuff like James Blunt, David Powter, Natasha Bedingfield, Jack Johnson, etc. seems to have revived the market for this type of thing, except this time it's an outgrowth of the metrosexual movement and targeted towards teenage girls, to a degree, who've missed life since the advent of the Dave Matthews Band. My problem with this sort of music is that it bastardizes the singer-songwriter. IMO, I think this is a sign that the whole emo thing is being absorbed into culture as a whole and is concluding in its individual power.

Subject: Re: The New Wave of A/C

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 9:47 pm

Whats A/C stand for?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 9:48 pm

Whats A/C stand for?

Adult Contemporary.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/27/06 at 2:23 am

Teenagers probably form a large component of the listeners of the artists you mention. I know when I saw Jack Johnson here in 2003, I nearly got crushed by screaming teenage girls in the mosh-pit.

True A/C is a bit different...and varies from almost nostalgic cocktail-music like Pink Martini, to World Music to singer songwriters like Fiona Apple.

Written By: Electric Youth on 03/27/06 at 2:27 am

Deborah Gibson is a great A/C artist, though unfortunately most people only think of her as the '80's pop princess

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/27/06 at 2:45 am

Whats A/C stand for?
Dave Lennox will straighten us all out.  ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:27 pm

Teenagers probably form a large component of the listeners of the artists you mention. I know when I saw Jack Johnson here in 2003, I nearly got crushed by screaming teenage girls in the mosh-pit.

True A/C is a bit different...and varies from almost nostalgic cocktail-music like Pink Martini, to World Music to singer songwriters like Fiona Apple.

I think the whole "A/C" genre was huge in the late '90s, with Cake, Sarah MacLachlan, Sheryl Crow, Aimee Mann (very good A/C alternative), Fiona Apple, etc., and ever since then it's lost alot of ground to more teen-oriented neo-A/C.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/27/06 at 1:14 pm

http://www.lennox.com/res/images/side-bar-dave-3.jpg

This is Dave Lennox. He ushered in a new wave of air conditioning back in the 1950's.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 1:15 pm

LOL^ ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...