inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '00s One Hit Wonders

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 10:00 pm

Avril Lavigne ("Complicated" was like THE biggest single of 2002 in some ways, if you were a 12 year old boy, anyway...ever since then, what's she done?)
The Divine Comedy
Travis (in the US, briefly very big in 2001-2002)
Alien Ant Farm
t.A.T.u
Vanessa Carlton (second album failed commercially)
Pink (had a few hits in 6th grade, sort of an '00s Cyndi Lauper)
Bubba Sparxxx
Jet (big 2003 Indie rock thing)
Hot Hot Heat
The Raveonettes
Norah Jones (another one-album wonder at this point)
Kings of Leon
The Darkness
Snow Patrol
Fountains of Wayne (big 8th grade one hit wonder for me)
Dandy Warhols

...will finish later.

Subject: Re: '00s One Hit Wonders

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 10:04 pm

Avril Lavigne ("Complicated" was like THE biggest single of 2002 in some ways, if you were a 12 year old boy, anyway...ever since then, what's she done?)
The Divine Comedy
Alien Ant Farm
t.A.T.u
Vanessa Carlton (second album failed commercially)
Bubba Sparxxx
Hot Hot Heat
The Raveonettes
Kings of Leon
The Darkness
Snow Patrol
Fountains of Wayne (big 8th grade one hit wonder for me)
Dandy Warhols

...will finish later.

Avril had a huge hit with "I'm With You" as well which was very popular in late '02-early '03, "My Happy Ending" was also a decent hit in 2004. Pink has had a number of hits. "Get This Party Started", "Most Girls", "There You Go", "Family Portrait", "Don't Let Me Get Me" "Just Like a Pill" all charted quite high. Bubba has had a few hits, not quite a one hit wonder. Jet isn't  either.

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/06 at 10:09 pm

The Divine Comedy
t.A.T.u
Hot Hot Heat
Kings of Leon
The Darkness
Dandy Warhols

Not sure about some of the others you mentioned, but none of these are one hit wonders.

I know Avril has had lots of hits, because where I come from, she's a local girl, thus her songs are on the radio 24/7.  Of the 8 hits that she has had, 7 of them hit #1 in Canada, 5 of them hit the US Top 40 and all 8 of them reached the UK Top 20

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 10:13 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/06 at 10:15 pm

t.A.T.u. has kind of been a one hit wonder here in the US, I really haven't heard much on pop radio from them other than "All The Things She Said".

Yeah, they are more of a dance fixture in the US.  They had two other hits called "Not Gonna Get Us" and "All About Us" that charted quite high on the Billboard Dance/Club Play Charts

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 10:18 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 11:55 pm

I still think of Avril Lavigne as sort of a Lauper-ish figure in that she'll always be remembered for "Complicated", the way Cyndi Lauper was always remembered for "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", even if she did chart some other singles. But nobody in the US really strikes me as caring too much about Avril Lavigne or Pink anymore...Pink is similar to that, she'll always be remembered for her 2002 stuff.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 11:58 pm

I still think of Avril Lavigne as sort of a Lauper-ish figure in that she'll always be remembered for "Complicated", the way Cyndi Lauper was always remembered for "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", even if she did chart some other singles. But nobody in the US really strikes me as caring too much about Avril Lavigne or Pink anymore...Pink is similar to that, she'll always be remembered for her 2002 stuff.

Pink's still doing pretty well with "Stupid Girls" but yeah '02 was probably her peak.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/06 at 12:00 am

Cyndi was better known for Time After Time

I dont think Avril will ever be remembered for just 1 song.  Complicated was her first hit, but she's improved along the way.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 12:01 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:07 am

I still don't think she's much above the category of a three-hit wonder, in the U.S. anyway. Cyndi Lauper had "Time After Time", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", and "She-Bop." I mean, Avril will probably always be around, but I can't see her getting as big again as she was in say 2002.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/06 at 12:10 am

Cyndi Lauper had "Time After Time", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", and "She-Bop."

You forgot "All Through the Night", "Goonies R Good Enough", "True Colors", "Change of Heart", "What's Going On" and "I Drove All Night" :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 12:11 am

I still don't think she's much above the category of a three-hit wonder, in the U.S. anyway. Cyndi Lauper had "Time After Time", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", and "She-Bop." I mean, Avril will probably always be around, but I can't see her getting as big again as she was in say 2002.

Yea I agree she'll probably won't be as big again as she was in 2002/03.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/06 at 12:14 am

Yea I agree she'll probably won't be as big again as she was in 2002/03.

I wish Avril would never be popular again ;D

She's everywhere Everywhere EVERYWHERE  :o  :\'(

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:25 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/06 at 12:26 am

Up in Canada, I assume? Is Celine Dion still big up there?

All of Canada, but more so in my area because Avril's hometown is 20 minutes away from where I am.  Celine hasn't put out much in the last little while, as she's in Vegas, but her songs still get lots of radio play

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:30 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/27/06 at 5:52 pm

There haven't really been that many one-hit wonders in the 00's. In fact I cant think of any of the top of my head. Not nearly as many as the 80's.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/06 at 6:08 pm

Steal My Sunshine by Len.  There's a one hit wonder.  The funny thing is that Len had two indie releases prior and made videos for like 12 of their songs.  I would have thought since Len were Canadian, they would have done better here in Canada, but they didn't.  "Steal My Sunshine" was all they had  :\'(

Written By: Daveyd989 on 03/27/06 at 7:54 pm

Umm Los Lonley Boys, Heaven, TATU, and Dirty Vegas. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 10:13 pm

Nina Sky is another one.

Check for new replies or respond here...