inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 00s things that 90s kids would find uncool (and vice versa)...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 1:46 am

I'm talking about anything; clothes, gadgets like ipods, way of life...Like, kids/teenagers in the 90s would probably find computer strategy gaming a bit geeky (cool but geeky) while we think of wearing overalls as kind of quaint.

Subject: Re: 00s things that 90s kids would find uncool (and vice versa)...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 2:18 am

I don't think Emo would have been a hot thing until 1998 or so.

For '90s things that are dated today, the dance music of the early and mid '90s.  Whoomp there it is, snap, etc.  That stuff would get nowhere today.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/29/06 at 2:31 am

I'm talking about anything; clothes, gadgets like ipods, way of life...Like, kids/teenagers in the 90s would probably find computer strategy gaming a bit geeky (cool but geeky) while we think of wearing overalls as kind of quaint.

Clothes wouldn't really look that odd except in the early '90s. I think iPod would be just as popular, I know I would have loved to have an iPod like device in the '90s. Computer gaming was big in the '90s. Nobody wears overalls really anymore, but yea I remember wearing them in the early-mid '90s a lot as a little kid.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 6:17 am

'90s Things '00s People Would Find Uncool:

-Grunge (it's too "grungy" for the preppy '00s world)
-Early-mid '90s dance music
-The Macarena and other mid-late '90s latin pop
-The clothing, as a whole. '90s clothing is way too casual and "messy" for the very preppy/tailored hipster look of the '00s. The haircuts also get alot of grief.
-"Saved by the Bell."
-"Home Improvement."
-Marilyn Manson.
-Some nu metal, like Korn and Limp Bizkit, by this point.
-"Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

'00s Things '90s People Would Find Uncool:

-Reality TV that's really vulgar/invasive.
-Computer-animated TV shows and movies.
-Emo and some of the more twee or pretentious "indie rock."
-Glam rap, for the most part, is a bit too '80s-like in attitude for the '90s.
-The iPod, because it's corporate, not because it's an Mp3 player.

Written By: Electric Youth on 03/29/06 at 3:19 pm

High School Musical

Though that's uncool in both decades  :D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 3:53 pm

Also, early-mid '90s techno sounds pretty uncool nowadays.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 8:49 pm

The whole hip-hop urban scene is one thing I know that's more evolved than changed. Backward caps are one thing I'm unsure of. Are they cool/uncool? Or does it depend on whose wearing them?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 9:34 pm

The whole hip-hop urban scene is one thing I know that's more evolved than changed. Backward caps are one thing I'm unsure of. Are they cool/uncool? Or does it depend on whose wearing them?

Uncool, sideways is cool now.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 03/29/06 at 9:47 pm

Those really loose capris that girls are wearing now.  And basically anything wide-cut.  I know when I was a kid in the 90s I didn't know how to dress myself so I was always wearing hand-me-down bell-bottoms.  Then I started outgrowing pants by the time bell-bottoms and other wide leg pants came back in style, so I was just screwed.    :D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/30/06 at 1:36 am

I find it interesting that people around the age of 20 or 21 today in 2006 seem to identify themselves as more "00s kids" then "90s kids", whereas people who were 20 or 21 in 1996 tended to view themselves as "80s kids" instead of "90s kids". 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 2:31 am

I find it interesting that people around the age of 20 or 21 today in 2006 seem to identify themselves as more "00s kids" then "90s kids", whereas people who were 20 or 21 in 1996 tended to view themselves as "80s kids" instead of "90s kids". 

Probably because they don't view the '90s as a separate era, whearas a 21 year old in 1996 would have been about 16 when the '80s culture was rid of, and thus would have spent the vast majority of their kid years in the '80s.  Whereas a 21 year old today would never see such a rapid change as the one that occured around 1989-1992, and thus would see themselves as '00s because they see no reason to say "actually I'm more 90s" unless they paused and though about it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/06 at 3:23 am

The 90s are not given the recognition they deserve. We don't look back to the '90s' like we look back to the '80s.'

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 03/30/06 at 11:16 am

I'm 20 and I see myself as more of a "90s kid"  since I actually "grew up" in the 90s.  I can't even listen to real current music anymore-mainly I just like Kanye West, Maroon 5, some older Jay-Z.  What I do like about the 00s is the technology some of the fashion. 
My favorite music comes from the 90s or older.  Oh btw, me & my fiance get 2 c Three Dog Night in concert on April 13- I'm excited!!!!!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 7:13 pm

The 90s are not given the recognition they deserve. We don't look back to the '90s' like we look back to the '80s.'

It's probably because they're still an ultra-recent time.  I don't think the '80s was looked back on a lot in 1996.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/06 at 8:53 pm

It's probably because they're still an ultra-recent time.  I don't think the '80s was looked back on a lot in 1996.

But there was nostalgia for the 60s during the 70s, with heightened interest in the Beatles in the mid to late 70s. I guess things just changed alot quicker back then, and the past decade seemed more different. Case in point, the number of movies on the Vietnam War merely 10 years after they happened in the 80s, with the comparative few movies, TV series dealing with 90s culture (when are we going to see 'That 90s Show' in the vein of 'That 70s Show'). I'm talking sitcoms, serious dramas.etc. I've yet to see one definitively 'set' in the 1990s (probably cos people couldn't identify it).

Written By: Kyle 230 on 12/06/09 at 9:15 pm

1. Texting and ringtones
2.  Ringtone rap
3. Labels on clothing
4. Scene kids (emo is just a more modern grunge)
5.  MySpace like sites
6.  Web applications like the Facebook Farmville and Compare People

Written By: Zach on 12/07/09 at 12:27 am

I'm 17 and I wear my hat sideways.  I have been wearing it backwards but not straight backwards, its backwards and to the side (I've been doing it like that lately, before that it was forward sideways).  Sometimes 90's kids tell me how stupid my sideways hat is, but they used to wear their hats backwards and sometimes a visor backwards and upside down, which I think is more stupid than my sideways hat.
At my school I'll guess (of the kids that do wear hats, probably most don't wear them at all)
20% of the kids wear thier hats backward sideways  (mostly skater type kids)
20% wear them forwards but very slightly to the side (mostly preppy type kids)
20% wear them stright forwards (mostly althlete type kids)
10% of kids wear them straight backwards (I'm not sure what type to describe them)
30% of kids wear them sideways  (some are "gang" types but most are just normal decent kids)
I'm an primarly an athelete type kid but I like to wear mine backward sideways since I like it sideways and backwards sideways is more comfortable that forwards sideways, plus I am also a little bit of a skater type too.   Plus my girlfriend likes when I wear it backward sideways rather than forward sideways.  Sorry if I made a long post, probably alot more than you needed to know about teen hat wearing.  

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/07/09 at 4:15 am

1. Texting and ringtones
2.  Ringtone rap
3. Labels on clothing
5.  MySpace like sites

I'll have to disagree on the MySpace like sites. I think they would have been really popular if they came out in the 90's, especially at a time when chat rooms in Yahoo and AOL were in their prime.

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/09 at 7:22 am

Starting topics about 00s things that 90s kids would find uncool

Written By: joeman on 12/07/09 at 9:38 am

1. Texting and ringtones - Cell Phones were really popular in the late 90's, but there was no texting.  I am pretty sure  people would be in texting
2.  Ringtone rap- True
3. Labels on clothing- We had Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Polo, etc... As far as I know, there are still Air Jordan shoes!
4. Scene kids (emo is just a more modern grunge) - agreed, but Emo isn't a derivative of grunge. Nu-Metal was a derivative of Grunge.
5.  MySpace like sitesNO, but there were Geocities, which was a precursor to Myspace.  Plus, everyone was into AOL instant Messanger and ICQ
6.  Web applications like the Facebook Farmville and Compare People - I believe Sims was really popular, but that is an early 00 thing. Civilization was a popular game similiar to Farmville

Written By: 435wtr on 12/07/09 at 10:08 am

1. Texting and ringtones
2.  Ringtone rap
3. Labels on clothing
5.  MySpace like sites

I agree with ringtone rap and scene kids, but I think texting would be extremely popular if it were around in the 90s, same with farmville

Written By: No Longer Boomer on 12/07/09 at 10:10 am

I'm 17 and I wear my hat sideways.  I have been wearing it backwards but not straight backwards, its backwards and to the side (I've been doing it like that lately, before that it was forward sideways).  Sometimes 90's kids tell me how stupid my sideways hat is, but they used to wear their hats backwards and sometimes a visor backwards and upside down, which I think is more stupid than my sideways hat.
At my school I'll guess (of the kids that do wear hats, probably most don't wear them at all)
20% of the kids wear thier hats backward sideways  (mostly skater type kids)
20% wear them forwards but very slightly to the side (mostly preppy type kids)
20% wear them stright forwards (mostly althlete type kids)
10% of kids wear them straight backwards (I'm not sure what type to describe them)
30% of kids wear them sideways  (some are "gang" types but most are just normal decent kids)
I'm an primarly an athelete type kid but I like to wear mine backward sideways since I like it sideways and backwards sideways is more comfortable that forwards sideways, plus I am also a little bit of a skater type too.  Plus my girlfriend likes when I wear it backward sideways rather than forward sideways.  Sorry if I made a long post, probably alot more than you needed to know about teen hat wearing. 

I am shocked by these revelations! Why haven't the authorities been notified about these practices?

Written By: Kyle 230 on 12/07/09 at 3:53 pm

I agree with ringtone rap and scene kids, but I think texting would be extremely popular if it were around in the 90s, same with farmville

I think Farmville is a lot like Simcity and SimFarm, but more social.  I agree with you...people will have a kick out of farmville just like it was SimFarm in the '90s.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/09 at 2:41 pm

One word, Emo.

::)

Written By: tv on 12/10/09 at 12:46 pm

90's things that 00's kids wouldn't like:

1.) the NBA
2.) 90's fashion(baggy pants or grunge wear.)
3.) gangsta rap(1992-1996 Death Row records era)
4.) "The Macrarena"

Written By: Kate on 12/13/09 at 10:54 pm

I'm 17 and I wear my hat sideways.  I have been wearing it backwards but not straight backwards, its backwards and to the side (I've been doing it like that lately, before that it was forward sideways).  Sometimes 90's kids tell me how stupid my sideways hat is, but they used to wear their hats backwards and sometimes a visor backwards and upside down, which I think is more stupid than my sideways hat.

Hey Zach,
I was a 90's kid and I think that the sideways hat thing is un-cool and stupid , but thats just me.  If its cool for you then its cool, thats all that matters.  Nothing bad about kids wearing their hats like that, mostly not gang related or anyting, mostly just nice teenagers being teenagers.
I agree that the backwards and upside down visors that 90's kids wore was far more un-cool.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/14/09 at 2:11 am

90's things that 00's kids wouldn't like:

1.) the NBA
2.) 90's fashion(baggy pants or grunge wear.)
3.) gangsta rap(1992-1996 Death Row records era)
4.) "The Macrarena"

I'll agree with those. The NBA was really good back in the 90's, especially when Jordan was playing and Shaq first started out. Remember NBA Jam on Sega Genesis and Super NES? In addition to gangsta rap, I would add new jack swing music. A lot of the younger folks didn't like when I played old school stuff from back then, and it made me feel old. Grunge on the other hand, is still appealing today. The Macarena was only cool for a few months around the summer of 1996.

Written By: joeman on 12/14/09 at 3:00 pm

I'll agree with those. The NBA was really good back in the 90's, especially when Jordan was playing and Shaq first started out. Remember NBA Jam on Sega Genesis and Super NES? In addition to gangsta rap, I would add new jack swing music. A lot of the younger folks didn't like when I played old school stuff from back then, and it made me feel old. Grunge on the other hand, is still appealing today. The Macarena was only cool for a few months around the summer of 1996.

Lets not forget Shaq's and Jordan's movies that tied with basketball in someway.  The Jordan's Space Jam film was obvious, but with Shaq's Kazaam, he was woken up by a basketball shot(?).

It was a huge deal when Jordan went to play MLB baseball.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/14/09 at 7:12 pm

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs070.snc3/13745_1261811795933_1548853986_704277_6141091_n.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 12/15/09 at 9:32 pm

'90s Things '00s People Would Find Uncool:

-Grunge (it's too "grungy" for the preppy '00s world)
-Early-mid '90s dance music
-The Macarena and other mid-late '90s latin pop
-The clothing, as a whole. '90s clothing is way too casual and "messy" for the very preppy/tailored hipster look of the '00s. The haircuts also get alot of grief.
-"Saved by the Bell."
-"Home Improvement."
-Marilyn Manson.
-Some nu metal, like Korn and Limp Bizkit, by this point.
-"Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

'00s Things '90s People Would Find Uncool:

-Reality TV that's really vulgar/invasive.
-Computer-animated TV shows and movies.
-Emo and some of the more twee or pretentious "indie rock."
-Glam rap, for the most part, is a bit too '80s-like in attitude for the '90s.
-The iPod, because it's corporate, not because it's an Mp3 player.

Reality TV for me in general is just.... ugh. Doesn't matter how vulgar it is. :D

Written By: 90steen on 12/17/09 at 7:38 pm

One thing that really shows the difference between the 90's and now would be music videos. 00's kids would probably find 90's videos cheesy and corny, and 90's kids would probably find 00's videos trashy and sleezy.

Written By: tv on 12/17/09 at 9:50 pm

Lets not forget Shaq's and Jordan's movies that tied with basketball in someway.  The Jordan's Space Jam film was obvious, but with Shaq's Kazaam, he was woken up by a basketball shot(?).It was a huge deal when Jordan went to play MLB baseball.
Don't forget about the movie "Blue Chips" that Shaq was in with hiis then Orlando Magic teammate Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway. Pennny Hardaway was a good player till he had all those injuries. I loved seeing that movie in 1994 in the movie theater when it was new.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/23/09 at 5:27 pm

I think 90s kids (at their age then) would find texting and alot of portable tech maybe not dorky or uncool (I'm sure they'd have used it if it was around then), but would think "Hey man, what's the big deal?"

One thing about the 90s is that was more gritty, outdoorsy and didn't seem that into innovation, renovation or tech.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/25/09 at 7:56 am

iFart?

Check for new replies or respond here...