inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What from the '00s Will Look Particularly Cheesy?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 2:39 pm

Marty commented the things that look really cool at the peak of a decade seem the most dated in retrospective and the most cheesy. So what do you think will look "particularly cheesy and dated about the '00s in 10 years?"

-Myspace (not the idea of an online ID connection site, but the way it is) and blogging.
-Uggs boots, particularly w. leggings.
-The iPod.
-Cheesy reality TV (particularly Joe Millionaire-type and MTV type stuff)
-America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, etc.
-Glam rap.
-Those really little purses or big totebags.
-Emo.
-Ashlee Simpson-type pop.
-Arcade Fire-esque, Architecture in Helsinki-esque overly twee, precious, perfect, mannered music.
-Device merging.

Subject: Re: What from the '00s Will Look Particularly Cheesy?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/30/06 at 2:41 pm

Marty commented the things that look really cool at the peak of a decade seem the most dated in retrospective and the most cheesy. So what do you think will look "particularly cheesy and dated about the '00s in 10 years?"

-Myspace (not the idea of an online ID connection site, but the way it is) and blogging.
-Uggs boots, particularly w. leggings.
-The iPod.
-Cheesy reality TV (particularly Joe Millionaire-type and MTV type stuff)
-America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, etc.
-Glam rap.
-Those really little purses or big totebags.
-Emo.
-Ashlee Simpson-type pop.
-Arcade Fire-esque, Architecture in Helsinki-esque overly twee, precious, perfect, mannered music.
-Device merging.

I agree on most of that definitely on the Joe-Millionaire reality stuff, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 2:46 pm

Disney pop stars and people of there ilk.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/06 at 6:16 pm

The '00s will look like the 1950s less the economic prosperity. In this decade we've got the McCarthyism, the paranoia, the unwinnable foreign war, the cultural repression, and the dumbass movies, music,*  and TV of the 1950s along with the economic prospects of 1932!
::)

*There was a lot of great pop music out there in the '50s, but you had to listen to it on the "Negro" radio stations, and go into the "Negro" record stores if you wanted to buy it. If you were a white kid from the suburbs, chances are your parents would frown on you doing either!

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 6:20 pm

I think the whole alt-pop/rock scene from this decade will look pretty sterile/lifeless/precious and overly calculated and corny in like 2012, including stuff like Bright Eyes and the Blood Brothers. The thing alternative music this decade lacks is non-intellectual honesty and spontaneity, which Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, and the Pixies had in droves, but this current crop doesn't. Also, I think alot of stuff like Arcade Fire and Architecture in Helsinki is contrived, overly perfect and "twee", and irritatingly bland (unemotional, very, very pretentious and mannered), doesn't come from the hear or soul, etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 7:15 pm

Glam/bling/post-gangsta rap, Grillz, cadillacs, and flames being in every video, saying "Ugh!" and "err"
Hand clap drum machine
Slutty fashion
Paris Hilton, Hilary Duff
George Bush (he defines cheesy)
Teen pop/Disney
Reality television

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/30/06 at 8:03 pm

Emo

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/06 at 8:56 pm

Architecture in Helsinki-esque overly twee, precious, perfect, mannered music.

Where did you hear about Architecture in Helsinki? They're one of my favourite groups, and will never be cheesy. Incidentally, have you heard of artists such as Sarah Blasko, New Buffalo, the Delgados and Machine Translations? I think they're the best thing that's happening in music today (or one of the best things).

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/30/06 at 11:59 pm

In my own twisted way, I'm just eagerly waiting for the kids born in 2005 to start ripping on the '00s in 2020, or even 2015. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/31/06 at 1:35 am

In my own twisted way, I'm just eagerly waiting for the kids born in 2005 to start ripping on the '00s in 2020, or even 2015. 

Same here.  Unfortunately I don't '90s backlash will ever happen.  Ignorance/lack of care for the '90s culture, yes, hate, no.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/31/06 at 2:17 am

-Myspace (not the idea of an online ID connection site, but the way it is) and blogging. Disagree. It might lose popularity, but that's all
-Uggs boots, particularly w. leggings. Eh?
-The iPod. Unless something better supersedes it, I doubt it
-Cheesy reality TV (particularly Joe Millionaire-type and MTV type stuff) Yes, definately
-America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, etc. Yes, definately
-Glam rap. Yes, definately
-Those really little purses or big totebags. Can't comment
-Emo. Probably
-Ashlee Simpson-type pop. Yes, definately
-Arcade Fire-esque, Architecture in Helsinki-esque overly twee, precious, perfect, mannered music. No. I think this will be seen as the better popular stuff from the 00s
-Device merging. Eh?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/31/06 at 5:01 am

My whole problem with stuff like Architecture in Helsinki is how sterile and perfect and mannered it is. I think probably everything about the early-mid '00s will be seen as pretty cheesy for a bit in the '10s. My opinion as to why Myspace will look extremely cheesy, say in cache, is that people are so entranced by it now and it's SO COOL, but it will look very typical and boring/annoying in a few years after it loses popularity.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 5:13 am

I think the whole alt-pop/rock scene from this decade will look pretty sterile/lifeless/precious and overly calculated and corny in like 2012, including stuff like Bright Eyes and the Blood Brothers. The thing alternative music this decade lacks is non-intellectual honesty and spontaneity, which Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, and the Pixies had in droves, but this current crop doesn't.

You PREFER non-intellectualism? Oooookay.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/31/06 at 6:01 am

You PREFER non-intellectualism? Oooookay.

I like intellectualism, but with spontaneity and soul/heart. Like Liz Phair's early stuff or Tori Amos.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/31/06 at 6:19 am

This looks pretty cheesy:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Swiss_cheese_cubes.jpg

Written By: karen on 03/31/06 at 6:31 am

"Cracking cheese, Gromit"

Check for new replies or respond here...