inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People, the 00's aren't so bad

Written By: sonikuu on 03/30/06 at 5:38 pm

I must say one thing I am particularly fed up with is how many people constantly complain about the 00's.  Not just here, but nearly everywhere, you'll find people complaining about the 00's or 00's subjects (tons of people complain about Rap).  I just got to say I'm fed up with it.  Are there a ton of horrible things in this decade?  Yes there are, no question.  However, are there good things in this decade?  Certainly.

I can't stand how some people seem to have a one track mind and constantly bash the 00's and declare it a terrible decade, all the while ignoring any good qualities it may have.  These people seem to think that the 00's are completely horrible and that not a single good thing has occurred.  Seriously, we're in the seventh year of the decade.  To say that the past seven years have been nothing but crap with no bright spots at all is foolish.

So many people seem so concentrated on the bad aspects of the 00's.  They complain about Modern Rap and Emo.  They complain about reality tv and tv in general.  They complain about the movies and even about the video games.  While they complain, they forget all the good things about this decade.  This decade may have had some terrible movies, but the complainers seem to have forgotten about all the good movies that will be seen as classics twenty years from now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this.  Stop complaining about the 00's all the time.  It has a lot of crap, but so does every other decade.  The 90's, 80's, 70's, etc. had tons of crap.  The only difference is people tend to forget all the crap and focus on the good stuff, while they forget the good stuff of today and focus on the bad stuff.  This is particularly important for the younger generation such as myself.  You may complain about the decade now, but don't forget that your youth is in the 00's and youth only comes once.  Stop complaining about how horrible everything is 24/7 and actually get out, enjoy life, and appreciate the decade for its good aspects.  You may see it's actually not so bad.

Subject: Re: People, the 00's aren't so bad

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/30/06 at 5:53 pm

Although I don't think the negative aspects should be completely ignored either, I tend to agree that there's way too much of a focus on them. Also, I do not like when opinions are presented as fact, e.g. "modern rap is by and large crap" as opposed to "modern rap is not to my tastes." The second is a fine statement that expresses opinion; the first is slightly annoying, at least in my opinion, as the implication is anyone who disagrees is wrong as opposed to just someone with a differing opinion.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/30/06 at 6:09 pm

Yea they aren't that bad.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/30/06 at 6:14 pm

I've enjoyed this decade but that goes without saying. I was in high school from 2000 to 2004 so the best years of my life will always be from this decade.

The music is pretty bad in my opinion, but I have the ability to just listen to what I want from the past. Reality shows are also easy to ignore. The movies have been fantastic when they're on. Technology's wondeful.

I'd say it's not the best decade or a paticulary a memorable one for other people but for me,  it's my decade and i've l

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 6:15 pm

The '00s are pretty bad in world affairs/pop culture/economy and socioeconomic ideals, probably the worst decade since the '70s in combination in some ways. And I think that affects the way alot of people are, but I still get out and enjoy life, even if I hate almost all (this includes half-mainstreamed "indie") contemporary music.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 6:17 pm

They'll seem better in 10 years, that's for sure.  Plus, I think in the tens and 2020s I'll actuall miss them, even if I'm not hugely fond of them. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 6:18 pm

They'll seem better in 10 years, that's for sure.  Plus, I think in the tens and 2020s I'll actuall miss them, even if I'm not hugely fond of them. 

Hell, chopped liver with mustard and gummy bears would look better by 2020.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/30/06 at 10:42 pm

I can say that at least my parents and younger brother are still alive, plus the fact that this is the decade I got both college degrees (bachelor's '03, master's '05) and my first full time job last month.

Written By: whistledog on 03/30/06 at 10:45 pm

The 00s are great.  Musicwise though, I'd have a second opinion, but other than that, I am loving the 00s so far as I graduated from college with 2 certs :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/30/06 at 11:07 pm

I disagree.

The 00s are so bad... I've decided that tomorrow shall be New Years Eve 2009.  :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/06 at 12:34 pm

Yeah, alot of the culture of this decade isn't really my cup of tea(modern rap for example) but it's not that bad of a decade really.

Check for new replies or respond here...