inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song tipped to top the U.K charts the day before it is even released.

Written By: Gis on 03/31/06 at 1:02 am

I saw this item on the news last night and thought it was kind of interesting, truely the death of the single in it's old form.

http://www.itn.co.uk/news/entertainment_1373068.html

Subject: Re: Song tipped to top the U.K charts the day before it is even released.

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/06 at 1:06 am

It's funny why they would change the rules like that to allow legally downloaded songs to chart.  Downloading sucks.  Long live the single O0

Subject: Re: Song tipped to top the U.K charts the day before it is even released.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/31/06 at 2:33 am

Songs aren't 'tipped to top' the chart, they are pre-programmed to top the charts.

Written By: holicman on 03/31/06 at 8:48 am

Yeah thats great ........is it actually a good song though ????

Written By: jaytee on 03/31/06 at 8:51 am

That was always going to happen  :(

Written By: Morton on 03/31/06 at 8:52 am

Yeah thats great ........is it actually a good song though ????

Not particuarly.

The Black Eyed Peas 'Pump It' was the first song to enter the top 40 purely on Downloads (it made no.18, then climbed up to no.2)

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/06 at 9:29 am

Yes, it does indeed say a lot.

I think there have been numerous contributing factors.

Having lived in the United Kingdom I'm aware of how much singles cost.. I'm not going to pay 3-6 pounds for the single when the album it'self will cost 12-18, that makes no sense.

Secondly, the standard of music (and I know this is a whinge that everybody makes) has decreased in recent years. I remember even in recent memory, Blur, Pulp, Oasis, The Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics etc putting out great music, at the moment, there really isn't anything of that standard, this could be a good explanation.

Third. Downloading is just so much easier. I still buy my music, but I but it on e-bay or Amazon. We've become attatched to our little office chairs.

Check for new replies or respond here...