inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New versions of old movies

Written By: Carl on 03/31/06 at 10:11 am

With the new 'Superman' coming out and talk of a new version of 'Revenge of the Nerds', I ask this: Why can't they just leave well enough alone and let these movies remain a part of cinematic history? Re-makes hardly ever cut it, look how many 'Godzilla' movies they turned out..and failed! I would rather spend ten bucks seeing a new film then one already made.

Subject: Re: New versions of old movies

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/31/06 at 10:20 am

I think that there some pretty good remakes, out there like The Fly, The Ring, The Thing, and King Kong.

The remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was ok as well.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/31/06 at 10:28 am

I really liked the King Kong remake, Cape Fear remake, night of the living dead remake(the ending rocked), Manchurian Candidate, etc. Most remakes really blow, but some i've seem have been superior to the originals. Like King Kong for example. The technology of today made it more awesome and realistic.

Written By: Carl on 03/31/06 at 11:21 am

Cape Fear remake

Okay, I'll give you Cape Fear, THAT was very good!

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/06 at 11:37 am

Some remakes are good, some are absolute coprolite.  I guess it all depends on who is doing it, and who the stars are.

I actually liked the remake of Planet Of The Apes.  In many ways, it was closer to the original material then the first version was.

Then you have garbage like The Italian Job.  It should have been called The Los Angeles Job And Calling It The Italian Job In A Lame Attempt To Get People To See It.

Of course, one of the worst is actually based on a TV Series and not a movie.  I absolutely loathe Mission Impossible.  I am not surprised that Peter Graves declined to appear in this movie.

For the most part, I avoid watching remakes.  Unless it has a director I enjoy, they are rarely worth watching.

Written By: Carl on 03/31/06 at 12:08 pm

I actually liked the remake of Planet Of The Apes.  In many ways, it was closer to the original material then the first version was.

I give it a so-so, middle of the road review, it could have been better.

One remake that totally sucked (in my opinion anyway) was Psycho

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/31/06 at 1:45 pm

The remakes I really enjoyed were The Time Machine and War of the Worlds (both based on H.G. Wells novels). I also liked Dukes of Hazzard, even though it is like a modern adaptation of an old T.V. show, like how they did with Beverly Hillbillies and the Brady Bunch. Also, the Longest Yard was funny because of Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, and so was Fun With Dick and Jane because it was Jim Carrey. Therefore, remakes can be sucessful depending on who is casted to fit the roles.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/06 at 1:51 pm

One remake that totally sucked (in my opinion anyway) was Psycho

Yeah, I didnt like the Psycho remake either. Re-makes can work but usually they dont. Like batfan said it depends on who they cast for the roles.

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/06 at 1:53 pm

Assault on Precinct 13
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedazzled
Bad News Bears (2005)
13 Going on 30 (This was more or less a loose remake of 'Big')
King Solomon's Mines

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/31/06 at 2:06 pm

This just proves my point that Hollywood can't come up with any new ideas.

Cat

Written By: Carl on 03/31/06 at 2:14 pm

And WHY on earth did they cast Jack Black as the character of Carl Denom in King Kong??

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/01/06 at 1:52 am

I agree...re-making movies is on the whole a waste of money...it's as if the old movies are 'too unfashionable' for younger audiences, who want whizz-bang special effects. There are some movies, however, which are so old, the special effects so primitive (King Kong for example), or the dialogue so wooden (or non-existent) that a remake may totally bring it to life. I think the original is already a hallowed classic, and is reasonably watchable, they should leave well alone.

Fortunately, there are some bonafide classics they leave alone - like Gone with the Wind, Sound of Music.etc.---at least for the now that is. 

Written By: Gis on 04/01/06 at 4:33 am

On the whole a bad, bad, bad idea.

Written By: Stompgal on 04/01/06 at 6:56 am

My favourite 2000s remakes are Charlie and the Chocolat Factory, both Charlie's Angels Films, The Dukes of Hazzard and Freaky Friday.

Written By: STAR70 on 04/01/06 at 1:42 pm

My favourite 2000s remakes are Charlie and the Chocolat Factory

DON'T TOUCH THAT SQUIRRLE'S NUTS!!!!  :D :D :D

Written By: Marian on 04/02/06 at 4:10 pm

I like the hayley Mills version of the parent trap better than the Lindsay Lohan one.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/06 at 5:18 pm

My favourite 2000s remakes are Charlie and the Chocolat Factory, both Charlie's Angels Films, The Dukes of Hazzard and Freaky Friday.

Willy Wonka was nothing but a rich capitolist who enslaved an innocent indiginious people, and turned them into slave labor in his sweatshop.  He exploited them horribly, and should be the first one lined up and shot in the upcomming revolution.

Written By: Carl on 04/03/06 at 1:15 pm

I like the hayley Mills version of the parent trap better than the Lindsay Lohan one.

Never knew that was a young Lindsay Lohan. That girl can't make up her mind what hair color she wants!!

The first Willie Wonka will ALWAYS be the best!!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:52 am

DON'T TOUCH THAT SQUIRRLE'S NUTS!!!!  :D :D :D

That joke was SO juvenile  ::)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/04/06 at 3:24 pm

I usually get annoyed when they try to remake old things, but I really did enjoy the latest version of King Kone- thats the only one that actually made me cry. 
However, I did not like the latest Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as much as the old British mini-series, and I have no intention to see the new version of the Poseidon

BTW, was it just my imagination, or is there a movie coming out soon about the 9-11 attacks? 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/05/06 at 1:19 am

There are very few that surpass the original. Especially when they rename them.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/05/06 at 1:41 pm

I'm biased against movie remakes and always will be. They're often just excuses for producers to make cash off of something that already has an established reputation, allowing them to put up their feet and not bother with thought or creativity.

Mind you, remakes aren't always bad; it just depends on what movie gets chosen for an "update." John Carpenter's The Thing, for example, is a remake of one of your average, run-of-the-mill 1950s alien invasion flicks, but he managed to turn it into something truly chilling and powerful. Remaking an old science fiction movie like that with the intention of drawing out its potential for horror -- that's a good idea for a remake.

The problem is that producers usually remake bankable classics -- movies that are still potent and powerful and in no need of an update -- rather than obscure and forgotten movies that have unrealized potential. Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas -- these have been done and been done well. Let's move on.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/06 at 6:45 pm

Some films I thought were pretty good were Manchurian Candidate, Ocean's Eleven, and Italian Job.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Planet of The Apes (I'm going to get flammed on this one!  ;D) were good films.

Some mentioned 13 Going On 30 earlier, I like tat film too.

But my current favorite remakes are Dawn of The Dead and Bad News Bear (again intisipating a flamming!  ;D)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/06 at 11:28 am

The Omen (remake) was just recently released to quiet reports in the papers.

Check for new replies or respond here...