inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Will Be the Cheesy Late Decade Music Wave of the '00s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/31/06 at 7:15 pm

Every decade has some extremely cheesy wave of pop music late in the decade. The '60s had bubblegum pop and some of the cheesier psychedelic-styled rock, the '70s had disco, the '80s had hair metal/Vanilla Ice/Milli Vanilli, and the '90s had teen pop and Ricky Martin. I'm thinking whatever is the excessively cheesy wave of the '00s is already popping up, maybe overseas. Like 2006 is a very blank cultural nadir in alot of ways so far, but I think it'll get pretty bad c. 2009. Any ideas?

Subject: Re: What Will Be the Cheesy Late Decade Music Wave of the '00s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/01/06 at 1:56 am

There are already so many cheesy movements in the 00s. Rap/metal cross-overs like Limp Bizkit, emo, 'glam rap.' Because the constant re-mixing of old songs...that's pretty cheesy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/01/06 at 2:30 am

I have a feeling it'll either be "My Humps"-type songs, or another kind of rap (think Kevin Federline's upcoming album). ;D Perhaps with a dance influence (all the previous decade's "cheesy" music was somewhat dance oriented).

Written By: STAR70 on 04/01/06 at 1:44 pm

Every decade has some extremely cheesy wave of pop music late in the decade. The '60s had bubblegum pop and some of the cheesier psychedelic-styled rock, the '70s had disco, the '80s had hair metal/Vanilla Ice/Milli Vanilli, and the '90s had teen pop and Ricky Martin. I'm thinking whatever is the excessively cheesy wave of the '00s is already popping up, maybe overseas. Like 2006 is a very blank cultural nadir in alot of ways so far, but I think it'll get pretty bad c. 2009. Any ideas?

lousy re-makes of '80's hits

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/01/06 at 11:22 pm

Disney brand  teen pop ( ie  Hillary Duff, High School Musical)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:35 pm

I have a feeling it'll either be "My Humps"-type songs, or another kind of rap (think Kevin Federline's upcoming album). ;D Perhaps with a dance influence (all the previous decade's "cheesy" music was somewhat dance oriented).

I think K-Fed will be to glam rap what Vanilla was to cheesy '80s rap.  Would you say that enough though Vanilla is technically early '90s, he is in fact part of the reason for the downfall of the '80s? After all, it wasn't long after his 15 seconds of fame that gangsta rap took over.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/01/06 at 11:36 pm

Emo will keep getting bigger and bigger, AC soft rock songs become more mainstream.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:37 pm

Emo will keep getting bigger and bigger, AC soft rock songs become more mainstream.

I agree. I think Emo will peak around 2008, with the election, then crash around 2011-2012.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/01/06 at 11:41 pm

I agree. I think Emo will peak around 2008, with the election, then crash around 2011-2012.

Yeah, maybe emo and "hipster music" will get so moronic and excessive it'll be the reason for the downfall of the '00s in 2011-2012. I agree that Vanilla Ice and Milli Vanilli are part of the reason for the downfall of the '80s, though they're more 1989ish than say 1984ish and aren't even true '80s, but they sort of personified the ethos in the '80s in that they're very fake/materialistic/commercial/excessive.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 1:28 am

I think K-Fed will be to glam rap what Vanilla was to cheesy '80s rap.  Would you say that enough though Vanilla is technically early '90s, he is in fact part of the reason for the downfall of the '80s? After all, it wasn't long after his 15 seconds of fame that gangsta rap took over.

True, many things from 1990 and '91 were almost more cheesy than circa 1984ish stuff. Perhaps, if guys like him and MC Hammer weren't huge for a couple years (them and Warrant-esuqe hair metal), the '80s would've had a smoother drift into the '90s.

Even though they weren't "80s" timewise, they were stylistically. If the last impression of the '80s had been less cheesy, we wouldn't have been so quick to dispose of it circa 1992.

P.S. I still get a kick out of an early Seinfeld episode, where Kramer says, "Come on Jerry, it's the '90s. It's Hammer Time!" ;D That really is a 1990ish mentality. It seemed very cool/90s like for the immediate time, but even by 1993, it was equally cheesy as the '80s if not more.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:33 am

True, many things from 1990 and '91 were almost more cheesy than circa 1984ish stuff. Perhaps, if guys like him and MC Hammer weren't huge for a couple years (them and Warrant-esuqe hair metal), the '80s would've had a smoother drift into the '90s.

Even though they weren't "80s" timewise, they were stylistically. If the last impression of the '80s had been less cheesy, we wouldn't have been so quick to dispose of it circa 1992.

P.S. I still get a kick out of an early Seinfeld episode, where Kramer says, "Come on Jerry, it's the '90s. It's Hammer Time!" ;D That really is a 1990ish mentality. It seemed very cool/90s like for the immediate time, but even by 1993, it was equally cheesy as the '80s if not more.

Yeah, that's the thing about 1990.  Sure, people back then would insist it was really the '90s, but I think most would agree that 1990 is more on the page of the late '80s than with the real '90s nobody had any clue about then that would happen about two years later.  It's '90s from a 1990 perspective, but from a 2006 perspective it's more just a "hey, this is the Nineties! Since we're trendy people who just left the '80s, let's change the style!", not, "the '80s are f***ing awful and shallow. I'm gonna go mope in the dark."  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 1:46 am

Yeah, that's the thing about 1990.  Sure, people back then would insist it was really the '90s, but I think most would agree that 1990 is more on the page of the late '80s than with the real '90s nobody had any clue about then that would happen about two years later.  It's '90s from a 1990 perspective, but from a 2006 perspective it's more just a "hey, this is the Nineties! Since we're trendy people who just left the '80s, let's change the style!", not, "the '80s are f***ing awful and shallow. I'm gonna go mope in the dark."  ;D

Yeah, I'd even argue the 1988-1991/92 era was probably one of the most trendy periods of all. Stuff just changed at a totally fast pace in three or four years.

I'd also say the early '80s were the same way. From a 1980 perspective, "What I Like About You" or "Another One Bites the Dust" were very '80s, but by 1982 they were already starting to look old, and had more in common with the '70s than they would've wanted to admit.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:49 am

Yeah, I'd even argue the 1988-1991/92 era was probably one of the most trendy periods of all. Stuff just changed at a totally fast pace in three or four years.

I'd also say the early '80s were the same way. From a 1980 perspective, "What I Like About You" or "Another One Bites the Dust" were very '80s, but by 1982 they were already starting to look old, and had more in common with the '70s than they would've wanted to admit.

Yeah, I'd say 1980 was more the end of the '70s than the real beginning of the '80s. 1981 is both ways.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 11:47 am

I'm glad you and Marty agree with me that things can be "'90s from an early decade perspective", and so on...Creed is a good '00s example of this. They technically were bigger c. 2000 or 2001, but they are such a horrible, commercialized example of grunge pop that they made people totally shy away from vaguely '90s like hair metal and Vanilla Ice made people shy away from things vaguely '80s. I wonder if people c. 1990 actually thought M.C. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, and Terence Trent D'Arby would BE the '90s, even if the whole influential alt rock scene like Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, Nirvana was exploding underneath the hair metal of the late '80s.

I wonder if the '70s would've had a smoother transition to the '80s if disco hadn't happened, like Marty said about the '80s maybe having a smoother transition to the '90s without Vanilla Ice and all-out L.A.-style hair metal.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/02/06 at 5:36 pm

I agree that Emo will peak in 2007/2008 but I think it wont crash as much as it will start to fade out in popularity starting in about late 2008 and be totally gone by at least 2011.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 6:29 pm

I agree that Emo will peak in 2007/2008 but I think it wont crash as much as it will start to fade out in popularity starting in about late 2008 and be totally gone by at least 2011.

I think probably Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah! and Architecture in Helsinki/Arcade Fire/Iron and Wine-type "indie yuppie" music will peak in popularity in 2006/2007 and then start to peter out.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 11:11 am

I think probably Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah! and Architecture in Helsinki/Arcade Fire/Iron and Wine-type "indie yuppie" music will peak in popularity in 2006/2007 and then start to peter out.

I agree with that, but IMO Emo as a genre will still stay popular for about a year or two longer before it starts to fade out.

Written By: Apricot on 04/03/06 at 2:43 pm

I think Rap will be regarded by some people as embarassing, but not nearly of the same calibur as we all look back at musicians like Ricky Martin or Human League.

Usually, with things of that calibur of cheese, it's also fun. My mom admits she has no idea what people were thinking listening to Human League, but she admits it's fun music.

I can't predict the next embarassing wave..

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 4:01 pm

I agree with that, but IMO Emo as a genre will still stay popular for about a year or two longer before it starts to fade out.

I'm guessing its peak will be like my senior year of high school, 2007-2008, or so. The really cheesy stuff that becomes popular at the end of a decade is always around before, so I need to start researching and scouring the charts...or somebody could do that for me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 4:46 pm

I think Rap will be regarded by some people as embarassing, but not nearly of the same calibur as we all look back at musicians like Ricky Martin or Human League.

Usually, with things of that calibur of cheese, it's also fun. My mom admits she has no idea what people were thinking listening to Human League, but she admits it's fun music.

I can't predict the next embarassing wave..

I think the glam rappers, with their bling bling, hos, and err-saying will certainly be ultra-cheesy 10 years from now. but who knows.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 4:56 pm

I think the glam rappers, with their bling bling, hos, and err-saying will certainly be ultra-cheesy 10 years from now. but who knows.

Maybe even within the next 5 years it will be. Then anyone even caught with a D4L cd will be mocked and ridiculed ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 5:24 pm

Maybe even within the next 5 years it will be. Then anyone even caught with a D4L cd will be mocked and ridiculed ;D

;D Yeah I'd say 6 years, and today's rap will be considered 100% real cheese.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 5:30 pm

;D Yeah I'd say 6 years, and today's rap will be considered 100% real cheese.

I'd say whenever some of it's younger fans(say a current 10-12 year old) gets older and gets tired of it. Anybody that's 15+ and likes rap now is pretty much a lost cause.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 7:12 pm

The death of a genre is when it can't convert younger people to it anymore, around 12. That's probably coming soon for all of the '00s genres.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 7:22 pm

The death of a genre is when it can't convert younger people to it anymore, around 12. That's probably coming soon for all of the '00s genres.

Yeah I agree. When glam rap(for example) becomes irrlevent to people born in say 1996 that'll be the end of it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 8:06 pm

I'd say whenever some of it's younger fans(say a current 10-12 year old) gets older and gets tired of it. Anybody that's 15+ and likes rap now is pretty much a lost cause.

Yeah I agree.  That's why in 2002, your kid born in 1993 wouldn't be interested in Backstreet Boys as much as say Avril Lavigne.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/03/06 at 9:19 pm

Yeah I agree.  That's why in 2002, your kid born in 1993 wouldn't be interested in Backstreet Boys as much as say Avril Lavigne.

The Backstreet Boys were pretty much old by 2001 or so, NSYNC was still popular though into 2002.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 5:59 am

I would say one way in which a 1993er is definitely outside my experience is that they don't remember the Spice Girls and Hanson, and the rest of the original 1997 pop wave. I think overall the thing that separates the 1984-1985 and the 1991-1992 group from being "peak Y" is that the former remembers the mid-'90s a bit too well and the 1991-1992 group doesn't quite remember the mid-'90s enough.

Yeah, Backstreet Boys and N*Sync probably sound pretty old and dated to somebody in 7th grade now. I mean, it is incredibly silly music, when you get down to it, ultimately. I'm guessing when rap stops converting people will be like 1995ers when they're 13 in 2008, and that'll be one of the death knells of rap-loving Y.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 10:11 am

Yeah I agree. When glam rap(for example) becomes irrlevent to people born in say 1996 that'll be the end of it.

The 'core' audience for the pop charts has been getting progressively younger.

In the 30s-40s it was probably those in their late 20s/30s (the 'Swing' set)
In the 50s (rock and roll era) to the 60s it was actually about early 20s (though its associated with teens)
In the 60s the teens
70s also the teens 14-15
There was a buckle in the trend in the 80s and 90s with more 'adult orientated' music
And now again we are seeing a continuation with the average listener being 12-13 or younger

Hillary Duff's popularity is proof of this.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 12:47 pm

I would say one way in which a 1993er is definitely outside my experience is that they don't remember the Spice Girls and Hanson, and the rest of the original 1997 pop wave. I think overall the thing that separates the 1984-1985 and the 1991-1992 group from being "peak Y" is that the former remembers the mid-'90s a bit too well and the 1991-1992 group doesn't quite remember the mid-'90s enough.

Yeah, Backstreet Boys and N*Sync probably sound pretty old and dated to somebody in 7th grade now. I mean, it is incredibly silly music, when you get down to it, ultimately. I'm guessing when rap stops converting people will be like 1995ers when they're 13 in 2008, and that'll be one of the death knells of rap-loving Y.

That does make sense.  For instance, a 1991er would only be 5-6 in 1997, so would probably remember 1994-1997 but wouldn't be old enough to get into the popular culture.  Whereas a 1984er would be 22 in 2006, almost out of place with today's mid-to-late Y culture fueled by people born c. 1989.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:00 pm

Totally. The average 7th grader today(born 1994) wouldn't touch the Backstreet Boys or N*Sync with a ten foot pole but when I was in the 7th grade(c.1999-2000) they were inescapable. I would agree that when 1995ers or 1996ers come of age in 2008/2009 they probably wont take to rap like even a '92er or '93er would.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 2:13 pm

Totally. The average 7th grader today(born 1994) wouldn't touch the Backstreet Boys or N*Sync with a ten foot pole but when I was in the 7th grade(c.1999-2000) they were inescapable. I would agree that when 1995ers or 1996ers come of age in 2008/2009 they probably wont take to rap like even a '92er or '93er would.

Yeah. The '92ers and '93ers I know seem less into current music overall, and I even see some flannel shirts and grunge Ts on them, something a 1988er wouldn't be caught dead in.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:18 pm

Yeah. The '92ers and '93ers I know seem less into current music overall, and I even see some flannel shirts and grunge Ts on them, something a 1988er wouldn't be caught dead in.

Really? I haven't had much contact with '92ers or '93ers so I just assumed that they were pretty much average Yers. If not they maybe things will change quicker than I though :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 2:24 pm

Really? I haven't had much contact with '92ers or '93ers so I just assumed that they were pretty much average Yers. If not they maybe things will change quicker than I though :)

Well I think they're young enough to sugarcoat the '90s, so that's a slight change.  Whereas even though I was technically born in the '90s I'm old enough to know the ugly side of the decade.  They're definitely younger Yers though, they're old enough for early and mid '00s culture and would at least vaguely recall the Backstreet Boys and Pokemon (you'd have to live in a cave not to!  ;D).

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 2:31 pm

Well I think they're young enough to sugarcoat the '90s, so that's a slight change.  Whereas even though I was technically born in the '90s I'm old enough to know the ugly side of the decade.  They're definitely younger Yers though, they're old enough for early and mid '00s culture and would at least vaguely recall the Backstreet Boys and Pokemon (you'd have to live in a cave not to!  ;D).

Yeah. They don't remember a time when every other person wore a flannel shirt and backwards baseball cap, and probably don't remember not having a computer and the hugeness of the '90s tech explosion like a '90er (like myself) definitely does and even a '91er might. '92ers and '93ers are still essentially Y. But I think there's probably the seeds of change in them, like a re-interest in '90s alt rock and music in general that I don't see in say a '90er.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 2:33 pm

Yeah. They don't remember a time when every other person wore a flannel shirt and backwards baseball cap, and probably don't remember not having a computer and the hugeness of the '90s tech explosion like a '90er (like myself) definitely does and even a '91er might. '92ers and '93ers are still essentially Y. But I think there's probably the seeds of change in them, like a re-interest in '90s alt rock and music in general that I don't see in say a '90er.

They're young enough to not be aware that the 1990s are in many ways the same animals as the zeroes.  A 1991er even is old enough to know the ugly side of the '90s; only a 1992er with a really good memory or great secondhand knowledge of the '90s would see them as not being old school.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 2:35 pm

They're young enough to not be aware that the 1990s are in many ways the same animals as the zeroes.  A 1991er even is old enough to know the ugly side of the '90s; only a 1992er with a really good memory or great secondhand knowledge of the '90s would see them as not being old school.

Yeah, they don't remember Columbine, for example, or don't get it the same way I do.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:37 pm

Agreed. A '93er+ is young enough for the 90's to be somewhat mystical to them because they can probably only remember clearly the last 1 or 2 years of the decade and certianly wont be able to remember the atmoshpere of the early/mid-90's. Which IMO is why they will have an intrest in 90's music that a '90er(for example) may not. Because to a '93er the music of the early/mid-90's may seem slightly out of there reach.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 2:39 pm

Agreed. A '93er+ is young enough for the 90's to be somewhat mystical to them because they can probably only remember clearly the last 1 or 2 years of the decade and certianly wont be able to remember the atmoshpere of the early/mid-90's. Which IMO is why they will have an intrest in 90's music that a '90er(for example) may not. Because to a '93er the music of the early/mid-90's may seem slightly out of there reach.

Yeah, they would see it almost the same way you would see the '80s. They would remember the end of it, and a little of the mid-to-late part, but not enough to fully be there.  Whereas a 1990er, or even a 1991er would see the entire decade as their time, even if they couldn't remember the first 3-5 years of it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 2:43 pm

I think the same thing is true of '82 and '83ers as '92 and '93ers. Somebody born in 1982 wouldn't get the whole mid-'80s synth pop, valley girl, Michael Jackson vibe, even if they get a general feel of the zeitgeist of say 1987 and 1988, and might even remember some hair metal or other popular songs from that period. Since they can only remember enough to really get the feel of slightly under a third of the decade, the '80s is sort of beyond them. I also consider '82ers the first really "Y" year in alot of ways, 1980 and 1981 are Y but you start to see some of the really authentic Y traits in 1982.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:43 pm

Yeah, they would see it almost the same way you would see the '80s. They would remember the end of it, and a little of the mid-to-late part, but not enough to fully be there.  Whereas a 1990er, or even a 1991er would see the entire decade as their time, even if they couldn't remember the first 3-5 years of it.

Exactly, even though they would get more years experince in 90's than I got in the 80's they would still probably view it the same way. I say as long as you can clearly remember at least 5 years of a decade you could consider it as your time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 2:44 pm

I think the same thing is true of '82 and '83ers as '92 and '93ers. Somebody born in 1982 wouldn't get the whole mid-'80s synth pop, valley girl, Michael Jackson vibe, even if they get a general feel of the zeitgeist of say 1987 and 1988, and might even remember some hair metal or other popular songs from that period. Since they can only remember enough to really get the feel of slightly under a third of the decade, the '80s is sort of beyond them. I also consider '82ers the first really "Y" year in alot of ways, 1980 and 1981 are Y but you start to see some of the really authentic Y traits in 1982.

Yeah, I'd say 1982 is where Y really starts big time because their first decade they were truly a part of is the '90s, and their peak time would be the early '00s.  Late '70s and early '80s are both X and Y.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 2:47 pm

I say as long as you can clearly remember at least 5 years of a decade you could consider it as your time.

I generally agree with this, but with the Nineties I'd say it's a little different because they're relatively similar to the Zeroes.  Seriously, if the Zeroes were hugely different from the Nineties I might consider the '90s a little before my time, because the only '90s year I had an 100% first-hand presence in was 1999, even if I can remember clearly back to 1996 and at all back to '93 or '94.  For instance I didn't know who the hell Green Day were in 1995.  But since many '90s facets are still around today I can't really consider them before my time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 2:48 pm

MEGATRON PLEASE POST HERE!  ;D  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, I'd say 1982 is where Y really starts big time because their first decade they were truly a part of is the '90s, and their peak time would be the early '00s.  Late '70s and early '80s are both X and Y.

Yeah, an '81er wouldn't have been much more involved in the 80's than an '82er but the '81er would probably be able to get a better feel for the 80's than an '82er, as would an '80er.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:51 pm

MEGATRON PLEASE POST HERE!  ;D  ;)

;D Your just asking for trouble Donnie.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 3:31 pm

Yeah, like I can remember the period when people wore the Rachel Cut and backwards clothing firsthand, in some ways like it was yesterday, even though I was a little kid. I doubt that a '93er would.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 5:57 pm

Yeah, like I can remember the period when people wore the Rachel Cut and backwards clothing firsthand, in some ways like it was yesterday, even though I was a little kid. I doubt that a '93er would.

Yeah probably not since that was big in like 1995 and they would've been about 3.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/27/06 at 6:20 pm

I think you were right on this one, dance pop/rap is basically what appears to be the big trend heading into the late 2000s, it's very apparent now I think. K-Fed on the other hand is a total flop thankfully.

Written By: tv on 11/27/06 at 7:30 pm

Glam Rap is dead mostly curretly with a few exceptions but it was pretty dominant there from 2003 to early 2006. To me it Glam Rap will be disregarded in the 2010's like 90's grunge(92-96 grunge style)was in the 00's and 80's new wave was in the 90's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/06 at 10:18 pm

Emo.  :P

Written By: AstronautXKid on 11/28/06 at 3:43 am

I, being born in 1992 remember vaguely the likes of The Backstreet Boys and Pokemon. They were pretty big in retrospect, but looking back, the time in which I was old enough to remember things distinctively, The Backstreet Boys here were the "So five minues ago" thing.

As for what will be the cheesy music of  the late 00's I can't really comment. Not keeping up to most mainstream music, I can only assume  that it would be some terrible form of Rap music, squeeling screams of mislabelled "Emo" / "Screamo" music and a cheesier version of the current Rap. Although, Rap still manages to find a loophole and get even more stupider - Eventually, it will be at a point where Rap music becomes too stupid to listen to.

And then I'll wake up to the radio - With hopefully some proper music.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/28/06 at 3:52 pm

Popular rap has been pretty bad this year with a couple of exceptions, this "snap" music crap has been taking over rap and I really dislike this stuff. Outside of rap there's been some decent non-rap hip-hop influence music, and some decent adult contemporary as well. Alternative rock has been ok in 2006 as well. As for "glam rap", honestly what does that even mean? I mean most of the rap nowadays is probably more along the sex rap lines than glam, then you've got so much hip-hop influence stuff that isn't really rap.

Written By: tv on 11/29/06 at 12:38 am

Popular rap has been pretty bad this year with a couple of exceptions, this "snap" music crap has been taking over rap and I really dislike this stuff. Outside of rap there's been some decent non-rap hip-hop influence music, and some decent adult contemporary as well. Alternative rock has been ok in 2006 as well. As for "glam rap", honestly what does that even mean? I mean most of the rap nowadays is probably more along the sex rap lines than glam, then you've got so much hip-hop influence stuff that isn't really rap.
What snap music on the current charts are you talking about? Snap music(Rap) is more early 2006 than late 2006 with DL4 and Dem Franchise Boys. I mean "Money Maker" by Ludicras I think was Number 1 on the Billboard 100 like a week or two ago and I don;t think that qualifies as snap music(rap.)

As for glam rap I would define glam rap with artists such as 50 Cent, Ludicras, and Nelly. I think sex rap is defined as glam rap to many people.

Written By: tv on 11/29/06 at 12:45 am

I, being born in 1992 remember vaguely the likes of The Backstreet Boys and Pokemon. They were pretty big in retrospect, but looking back, the time in which I was old enough to remember things distinctively, The Backstreet Boys here were the "So five minues ago" thing.

As for what will be the cheesy music of  the late 00's I can't really comment. Not keeping up to most mainstream music, I can only assume  that it would be some terrible form of Rap music, squeeling screams of mislabelled "Emo" / "Screamo" music and a cheesier version of the current Rap.

EMO-whatever happened to the whole EMO trend? It was popular last year and the early part of this year but I think its run its course.

Anyway EMO is more of a early to mid 00's thing. I don;t think its going to be an 07-09 thing. Probably some kinda dance-pop will be the next big thing fo the late 00's.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 12:45 am

What snap music on the current charts are you talking about? Snap music(Rap) is more early 2006 than late 2006 with DL4 and Dem Franchise Boys. I mean "Money Maker" by Ludicras I think was Number 1 on the Billboard 100 like a week or two ago and I don;t think that qualifies as snap music(rap.)

As for glam rap I would define glam rap with artists such as 50 Cent, Ludicras, and Nelly. I think sex rap is defined as glam rap to many people.

There's still "Walk It Out" by Unk, "Do It To It" by Chersh (though that's old now), Yung Joc. Though yeah it's probably more of a late 05/earlier 2006 thing, but it still was a big part of this year's rap even though it's probably a short lived fad.

Written By: tv on 11/29/06 at 12:59 am

There's still "Walk It Out" by Unk, "Do It To It" by Chersh (though that's old now), Yung Joc. Though yeah it's probably more of a late 05/earlier 2006 thing, but it still was a big part of this year's rap even though it's probably a short lived fad.
Oh yeah Cherish and Young Joc I forgot about them. I don;t listen to those 2 artists. "Walk It Out" by Unk I don;t think I have ever heard that song before. Why can;t good rap like Lupe Fiasco get some kinda airplay? Mainstream rap over the past 10 years hasn't been very good. The only good mainstream rapper with a good amount of billboard chart success of the past 10 years is Kanye West. I like the rapper "The Game" but he hasn;t been on the rap scene that long.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 1:00 am

Ludacris's new song with Mary J. Blige is amazing, "Runaway Love", this is real hip-hop.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 1:01 am

Oh yeah Cherish and Young Joc I forgot about them. I don;t listen to those 2 artists. "Walk It Out" by Unk I don;t think I have ever heard that song before. Why can;t good rap like Lupe Fiasco get some kinda airplay? Mainstream rap over the past 10 years hasn't been very good. The only good mainstream rapper with a good amount of billboard chart success of the past 10 years is Kanye West. I like the rapper "The Game" but he hasn;t been on the rap scene that long.

I agree on "The Game", he's awesome. Kanye is great too, so is Lupe Fiasco. Good hip-hop is still around and occasionally has chart success, though it's not as common any more.

Written By: AstronautXKid on 11/29/06 at 3:59 am

EMO-whatever happened to the whole EMO trend? It was popular last year and the early part of this year but I think its run its course.

Anyway EMO is more of a early to mid 00's thing. I don;t think its going to be an 07-09 thing. Probably some kinda dance-pop will be the next big thing fo the late 00's.

Over here Emo is only just starting to hit its peak. We haven't had any major Emo trend until now, where we're getting mainly "Emo" music on our radios, and little kids with dyed black hair and Elmo bags or three-year olds bags with black clothing and pins and stuff. Thisis the first year where Emo or the Scenester thing came out, and it has only really been big here for a term or so of this year.

But Perth, Australia can expect to be behind with the latest trends and that.

I'm assuming that it will be Rap though. Or Emo will become so mainstream, it will lose all of it's remaining value.

Either way, both Rap and Emo will be the cheesy thing I see it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/30/06 at 10:25 pm

Yeah, dance-pop is already starting to get big. Even the new Jessica Simpson and Justin Timberlake can be classified into that category.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/01/06 at 6:13 am

Yeah, dance-pop is already starting to get big. Even the new Jessica Simpson and Justin Timberlake can be classified into that category.

I agree. Isn't it funny how last decade's late era stars are shaping up to be part of this decade's cheesy late period? If we count the last three decades, that stuff was pretty much tied to its era, and the stars associated with it basically were done with commercial success with it.

1987-early '91: First wave of Teen Pop (New Kids, Tiffany, Richard Marx, Taylor Dayne, Woops' favorite singer ;) )
1997-2002: Second wave of Teen Pop (Britney, Backstreet, NSync, Christina)

I guess, in a way the 1976-'80 period for Disco could count, too.

Subject: Re: What Will Be the Cheesy Late Decade Music Wave of the \'00s?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/03/06 at 3:18 am

I wonder if Fergie and Snap music are signs of what\'s to come. I hope not, lol

Fergie roolz.  :P

Written By: tv on 12/06/06 at 1:27 am

I agree. Isn't it funny how last decade's late era stars are shaping up to be part of this decade's cheesy late period? If we count the last three decades, that stuff was pretty much tied to its era, and the stars associated with it basically were done with commercial success with it.

1987-early '91: First wave of Teen Pop (New Kids, Tiffany, Richard Marx, Taylor Dayne, Woops' favorite singer ;) )
1997-2002: Second wave of Teen Pop (Britney, Backstreet, NSync, Christina)

Jessica Simpson had one hit single off of her latest album and had no follow-up single was released to radio from her current album after she hit big with "Public Affair". Face it Jessica Simpsons time in the spotlight musically was 1999-2001. She has just been popular mostly because of her Celebrity Status the past few years. I know Jessica had a hit with "With You" in 2003 I think it was. She has a nice singing voice but she has never had the right material to show her off singing voice in the proper way in my own opinion. I think Jessica's popularity overall is falling off. I think Christina Aguilera(one of Jessica's contemperary's) has had alot better chart success than Jessica has had since 1999. I'm not dissing Jessica. I think she is a nice looking woman but I just think her popularity has just seen better days. This is just a reply to your last decade stars shaping to be part of this decades chessey period.

Taylor Dayne and Richard Marx are teen-pop? My aunt listens to Taylor Dayne and she's a baby boomer. Richard Marx I;m sure he had 30-35 year olds listening to his music back then n 1987-1988. I'll agree with you on Tiffany, New Kids, and Debbie Gibson being teen-pop though. I admit to liking Debbie Gibson's 1989 hit "Lost In Your Eyes". Thats a nice song I think.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/06/06 at 2:57 am

^Yeah, I agree Taylor Dayne and Richard Marx went beyond the typical teen pop. They were more AC/pop rock/dance artists that happened to appeal to some teenyboppers. Sorta like how Bon Jovi was a hair band, but was one of the few bands who went beyond that demographic.

Jessica and actually Britney too, are more popular for their celebrity status and being tabloid fodder now. They haven't been musically cool since 2001 or mid '02 at latest.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/12/06 at 6:49 am

yeah Jessica flopped basically. Justin though is huge huge, urban radio loves him too lol.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/30/10 at 9:00 am

Yes, that ringtone and autotune drives me NUTS! It is on Generation Z's cheesy plate!

Disney brand  teen pop ( ie  Hillary Duff, High School Musical)

Miley and Justin Beiber? Yuck!

I'm afraid you guys predicted a good one this time.

Written By: tv on 06/30/10 at 6:28 pm

Yeah the "Autotone" and "Ringtone Rap" trends were the corny trends of the late 00's.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/10 at 9:55 pm

When I was a teenager I read rock critics dismissing '80s music because it didn't sound like the 60s.  Compared to the thin gruel we were fed over the last decade, Echo and the Bunnymen seem richly psychedelic!

Pop music can always get worse!

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/02/10 at 10:45 pm

Now that we have lived through the late 00's, I can tell you 2 words: Lady GaGa. Funny how when this thread started we had yet to see what the next few years had in store for us.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/10 at 10:22 pm

The Backstreet Boys, at least for the early part of the decade.  "I Want It That Way" was cheesy the day it came out.  It's like how in the '80s everybody understood that DeBarge and Ready For The World were cheesy. 

Written By: 2015 on 08/05/10 at 1:59 am

I think we all understand now, in 2010, that Hannah Montana and the Jonasses were the cheesy music of the late 00s. Good riddance!  ;D

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:37 am

I think we all understand now, in 2010, that Hannah Montana and the Jonasses were the cheesy music of the late 00s. Good riddance!  ;D

LOL jonasses.

Yeah I think it was the emo and also the Disney pop.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/11 at 12:46 pm

All lameass cheesy songs. ::)

Written By: Shiv on 04/10/11 at 2:30 pm

It ended up being electropop and Autotune  :P

Written By: tv on 04/11/11 at 3:28 pm

The Backstreet Boys, at least for the early part of the decade.  "I Want It That Way" was cheesy the day it came out.  It's like how in the '80s everybody understood that DeBarge and Ready For The World were cheesy. 
I was watching a special/documentary on Debarge a year and a half ago they basically lasted a few years(1982-1985) and then once the late 80's hit people forgot about them real fast. Music was like that in the 80's-early-mid 90's that if you skipped a few years without putting any new songs out people forgot about you. Janet Jackson was an exception to that rule though for that time period though.

Written By: tv on 04/11/11 at 4:16 pm

I think we all understand now, in 2010, that Hannah Montana and the Jonasses were the cheesy music of the late 00s. Good riddance!  ;D
Yeah the Jonas Brothers weren't even that big for that long. I think Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus might have one more hit album left but thats about it. Teen-pop artists don't last that long. I mean Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Britney Spears are exceptions to that rule though. Christina Aguilera , Jessica Simpson, and Justin Timberlake I think had moderate success  after the late 90's teen-pop era was over.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/20/11 at 9:28 pm

Yeah the Jonas Brothers weren't even that big for that long. I think Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus might have one more hit album left but thats about it. Teen-pop artists don't last that long. I mean Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Britney Spears are exceptions to that rule though. Christina Aguilera , Jessica Simpson, and Justin Timberlake I think had moderate success  after the late 90's teen-pop era was over.

Christina, Justin, and Jessica only had success by changing to an urban sound.

Written By: tv on 04/21/11 at 1:36 pm

I agree with you on Justin but I think Jessica and Christina did more songs in the A/C and Dance-pop genres form than in the hip-hop genre.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/11/11 at 3:07 am

Christina was ALWAYS kind of r&b, Nsync actually kinda always had a r&b edge too (a few of their hits even did well on the urban charts) though Justin really went urban as a solo artist, Jessica isn't really r&b at all.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/10/13 at 8:13 pm

I think Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus might have one more hit album left but thats about it.

;D If only that was true.

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/13 at 8:20 pm

Wow.  You bumped this topic?  Why ?

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/10/13 at 8:37 pm

Wow.  You bumped this topic?  Why ?

So, if I would have made a whole new thread you all would be jumping on me about how I could have just looked through the older threads.

I read through the older threads on this forum and if I find them interesting, I reply.

I got fudged for "bumping old threads". Since when is that against the rules?

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/13 at 9:06 pm

So, if I would have made a whole new thread you all would be jumping on me about how I could have just looked through the older threads.

I read through the older threads on this forum and if I find them interesting, I reply.

I got fudged for "bumping old threads". Since when is that against the rules?

No rule against bumping old topics.

Just wondered why you would bump this particular one.  The late 00s is over, so we already know the answer to the topic's question

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/10/13 at 9:17 pm

No rule against bumping old topics.

Just wondered why you would bump this particular one.  The late 00s is over, so we already know the answer to the topic's question

I know, I realized how irrelevant the topic was after I hit the "post" button.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/10/13 at 9:46 pm

It's interesting to be able to go back and read people's predictions about the upcoming decade now that we're actually in it.

I wonder if there are any message boards from the late '90s still out there with threads predicting what the '00s would be like :D

Check for new replies or respond here...