inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: formal investigation of steroid use by MLB players to begin soon..lookout Bonds!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/02/06 at 7:06 pm

Major League Baseball commisioner Bud Selig announced there will be a formal investigation into steroid use by players...here's the link...http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20060330141909990007&cid=......
Looks like Barry Bonds as well as anyone else in baseball that uses 'roids is gonna end up up s*its creek sans a paddle!

Subject: Re: formal investigation of steroid use by MLB players to begin soon..lookout Bo

Written By: livinonthe80s on 04/04/06 at 12:24 am

In todays game between the Padres and Giants, someone in the stands threw a syringe towards Barry and he picked it up.  As much as I don't care for Barry and Giants, since I like the Dodgers, that is totally uncalled for.

Subject: Re: formal investigation of steroid use by MLB players to begin soon..lookout Bo

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 10:17 am

In todays game between the Padres and Giants, someone in the stands threw a syringe towards Barry and he picked it up.  As much as I don't care for Barry and Giants, since I like the Dodgers, that is totally uncalled for.

That's crazy...biological assault

Written By: La Roche on 04/04/06 at 10:35 am

Call me crazy, but doesn't Congress have more pressing matters to deal with than steroid use by baseball players ???

Nope.

Baseball is vastly more important.

Subject: Re: formal investigation of steroid use by MLB players to begin soon..lookout Bonds!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/04/06 at 11:03 am

Call me crazy, but doesn't Congress have more pressing matters to deal with than steroid use by baseball players ???

Yeah, they need to save the spotted owl.

Let me first qualify what I'm about to say by stating that steroid use is wrong not just because it is cheating the purity of baseball, but also because it wrecks the body longtime in exchange for short-term superhumanity. 

However, considering the lack of enforcement of the steroid policy, and the fact that in the late-90s, even androstenedione was considered a "legal" performance supplement, the rampant steroid use in MLB should be expected even if it were not condoned.  Can you blame Mark McGwire, or Sammy Sosa, or Barry Bonds, or anybody for that matter, of seeing a loophole in the system and taking advantage of it?  Despite the fact that it should be considered cheating, under those guidelines, what they did was "perfectly legal" and as much as it pains me to say it, they shouldn't be charged with any wrongdoing and the records should stand.

Sigh...

Written By: La Roche on 04/04/06 at 12:00 pm

Yeah, they need to save the spotted owl.

Let me first qualify what I'm about to say by stating that steroid use is wrong not just because it is cheating the purity of baseball, but also because it wrecks the body longtime in exchange for short-term superhumanity. 

However, considering the lack of enforcement of the steroid policy, and the fact that in the late-90s, even androstenedione was considered a "legal" performance supplement, the rampant steroid use in MLB should be expected even if it were not condoned.  Can you blame Mark McGwire, or Sammy Sosa, or Barry Bonds, or anybody for that matter, of seeing a loophole in the system and taking advantage of it?  Despite the fact that it should be considered cheating, under those guidelines, what they did was "perfectly legal" and as much as it pains me to say it, they shouldn't be charged with any wrongdoing and the records should stand.

Sigh...

My problem is this.

Although I agree, during the early.. mid.. and to some extent late 90's Steroids were Baseball's quiet little secret, in recent years the lid has been blown off.
Now, here is where the issue becomes contentious to me regarding Bonds.
It's fairly obvious that he was on the gas very recently, it's fairly obvious that he would still be doing it if not under serious questioning. Why do you think it took him so long for his comeback? Could it be that he was being constantly tested so as to make sure there was nothing illegal in his system? Why do you think he wouldn't compete in the WBC. Could it be the olympic style steroid testing?

Barry Bonds is a blight on the sport.

Mark McGwire disapointed me, and this whole town when it became obvious that he was a steroid user. At the same time, McGwire was always a BIG guy, he was always a real power hitter, it wasn't that obvious. Same with Sosa to a certain extent. Bonds.. although never tiny, was never the ball crushing leviathan he is today. Bonds is a cheat, plain and simple.

Subject: Re: formal investigation of steroid use by MLB players to begin soon..lookout Bonds!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/04/06 at 6:46 pm

Even when he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, he was a major league snob. He was snubbing the press there too.

Barry Bonds is super-arrogant as well as a poster boy for steroid abuse. I've read that Steroid Boy Bonds does not even eat with his teammates when they go somewhere...He has his own table.

I have to wonder if Barry Bonds' male parts are shrunken due to juicing up. He might be turning into a eunuch...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/04/06 at 6:48 pm

Wasn't Lyle Alzado's fatal brain tumor caused by steroid abuse?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/06 at 11:41 am

I have to wonder if Barry Bonds' male parts are shrunken due to juicing up. He might be turning into a eunuch...

;D

But yeah, it's pretty obvious that Bonds used steriods. In fact didnt he kind of, sort of, confess to using them but just "didn't know they were steroids"? Also he's a pretty big jerk so that makes it even harder to like him in the face of these accusations. I heard about someone throwing the syringe at Bonds yesterday but it really dosent surprise me. It looks like the fans dont want him to break the home run record either.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/05/06 at 1:23 pm

Barroids Bonds is the festering boil on the ass of baseball and he needs to be lanced.

F*ck that piece of crap.  I hope if he breaks that record on the road, fans start throwing stuff at him as he's rounding the bases.  Baseballs, shoes, food.....whatever they can get their hands on.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/06 at 1:53 pm

And on top of all this he has a reality show. wtf? I guess anybody really can get there own reality show these days

Written By: La Roche on 04/05/06 at 4:54 pm

[quote author=

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/06 at 6:35 pm

But they would rather concentrate on the allegedly steroid absusing baseball player!  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/05/06 at 6:54 pm

Anvils, knifes, aids infected syringes.. Yeah, I agree.

I hope you were just being dramatic, because I wouldn't support the throwing of those items. 

But he deserves every second of scorn he gets.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/05/06 at 7:18 pm

Barry Bonds is a jerk. He makes people like Kurt Busch look like a saint. Yeah, Kurt can be arrogant at times, but Bonds has made a snob of himself more times than Kurt Busch has strapped into a stock car.......While Kurt Busch has made an a$$ out of himself during a few races, gotten his nose broken by Jimmy Spencer, and tried to get off with the 'don't you know who I am' sthick with Phoenix cops after being pulled over for DWI...Barry Bonds has done something worse. He has tarnished Major League Baseball. Is this gonna lead to more players being busted for steroid use...probably.

Barry Bonds is an a$$hole, plain and simple. I hope fans boo him and rain down beer and any other filthy but non-lethal stuff they have in the stadium..he deserves it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/06 at 9:42 pm

I agree.... Mr. Bonds........ the people of planet Earth, hearby nominate you as the biggest douche in the universe!  ;D

Written By: livinonthe80s on 04/07/06 at 3:47 am

As much as I don't care for Barry Bonds and especially the SF Giants, you have to know when to say when and stop.  I don't kow if you saw that Sports Center interview where it just got to him about all these attacks and he just broke down and cried saying he has to be the strong one because of the people in his life that depends on him which is true.  Can you imagine his family being attacked verbally because of what is going on.  The public don't give a crap about his private life, but on the other hand that is part of being famous.
I honestly felt for him when he broke down and cried. 
Then came the part when I said WTF, he mentioned about loving the game so much that he doesn't care about the money.  There are alot atlethes that say that but "words without action" proves that they are full of sh*t!!!  Show me one that donates his salary to charity, well he can keep at least$100K of it because that is comfortable living.  I wish they wouldn't say that because it just shows how much of an idot they are. Money is everything, but money is only as good as the person behind it!!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/07/06 at 6:06 pm

As much as I don't care for Barry Bonds and especially the SF Giants, you have to know when to say when and stop.  I don't kow if you saw that Sports Center interview where it just got to him about all these attacks and he just broke down and cried saying he has to be the strong one because of the people in his life that depends on him which is true.  Can you imagine his family being attacked verbally because of what is going on.  The public don't give a crap about his private life, but on the other hand that is part of being famous.
I honestly felt for him when he broke down and cried. 
Then came the part when I said WTF, he mentioned about loving the game so much that he doesn't care about the money.  There are alot atlethes that say that but "words without action" proves that they are full of sh*t!!!  Show me one that donates his salary to charity, well he can keep at least$100K of it because that is comfortable living.  I wish they wouldn't say that because it just shows how much of an idot they are. Money is everything, but money is only as good as the person behind it!!!
The simple fact is that Barry Bonds used steroids and lied about it.  Bonds is guilty as h*ll and he knows it. What kind of example is Barry Bonds setting for future baseball players..."It's okay to do 'roids, just don't get caught!"

Check for new replies or respond here...