inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is techno/dance music coming back?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/06 at 9:19 pm

It seems like techno and dance music has been making a comeback since 2005 (at least in the U.S., since it never really goes away in Europe). The Gorillaz is one example of music with an electronic sound. Even though they've been around for awhile, they gained their popularity in the U.S. with "Feel Good Inc" last year. Also, a German diva named Cascada is currently in the top 10 of the charts. I have a feeling dance/techno/house music will be even bigger in 2007 and 2008, since people are going to be wanting to hear more new sounds instead of the same old stuff like glam rap.

Subject: Re: Is techno/dance music coming back?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/02/06 at 9:38 pm

In my opinion, it has never left. It will always have its niche audience. Therefore, it's not a genre that looks for particular hits, but something that feels good.

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/06 at 9:57 pm

Dance Music never went away ... it just left the American Top 40.  I've been listening to techno/dance music since the 90's, and I know that it is still around.  About 90% of the songs I like from the 00's so far are all techno tracks :)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/02/06 at 10:02 pm

In my opinion, it has never left. It will always have its niche audience. Therefore, it's not a genre that looks for particular hits, but something that feels good.

I agree with this. Never left.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 10:17 pm

Techno never left...it just became less mainstream popular. I think there was a period from like 1995-2001 when it was much larger in the top 40, particularly eurodance techno and disco-styled songs, some of which actually sound like they could've been made in the '70s, and when artists like Beck, Madonna, and Tori Amos were experimenting more with techno. Maybe it's a bit above what it was in 2004, though, with Cascada and Madonna's "Hung Up", and some vaguely techno indie rock like Architecture in Helsinki.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 11:05 pm

Yea it has never left, it has an audience and occasionally a song will hit mainstream, there's been a few dance songs that have been successful in the decade. 2002 had a couple with "Heaven" by DJ Sammy and "Rapture" by iio.

Written By: Apricot on 04/03/06 at 2:38 pm

Oh God, I hope not.. especially not in the form it's in. This crap like Cascada and that stupid "Listen to Your Heart" song.. agonizing. I hope that stuff dies a terrible death and never comes back.

I don't like Dance music.. it's only got one beat... an annoying beat at that.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 3:18 pm

[quote author=└┴┘├┤│└┐┬∟∑

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 3:27 pm

Oh God, I hope not.. especially not in the form it's in. This crap like Cascada and that stupid "Listen to Your Heart" song.. agonizing. I hope that stuff dies a terrible death and never comes back.

I don't like Dance music.. it's only got one beat... an annoying beat at that.

I agree, except I like New Wave dance, but this trance crap should die a gruesome death.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 3:57 pm

As for me and dance music...there is some of it I think is excellent. "Groove is in the Heart" by Dee-Lite is one of my favorite songs, I love good disco and dance-funk, and alot of Prince and Madonna's dance stuff is excellent.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/04/06 at 3:08 am

I agree. As far as I remember (which isn't too long...) techno/dance has always been around, although not the most popular genre, it does have a quite a loyal following, especially around here.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/04/06 at 3:12 am

If the Ace of Base/Dee-lite/Madison Avenue crap is what you are meaning then... I hope it doesn't come back!

If the techno/drum n bass/dub type stuff is what you are meaning then... it's always been around (well in the last 5 years at least)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 10:15 am

If the Ace of Base/Dee-lite/Madison Avenue crap is what you are meaning then... I hope it doesn't come back!

If the techno/drum n bass/dub type stuff is what you are meaning then... it's always been around (well in the last 5 years at least)

Ace of Base/Madison Avenue etc is not techno. Nor is techno necessarily dance. Don't know many groups, but techno tends to be more minimalist, use less heavy drum beats, more synth loops. Techno is a bit like Kraftwerk, can't think of a modern equivalent, but there are many. Tends to be associated with geeky Europeans who record their music on their home computers and distribute them by word of mouth.

Written By: twistedwarp on 04/06/06 at 11:04 pm

In my opinion dance and techno music declined in the late 90's and stood semi underground, and has been like that for quiet a while. I really dont hear alot of people  listining to dance or techno music.

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/07/06 at 4:52 am

I love dance music.  It's much better than the rap and rock that's out now.  I think it might have been down in the dumps, but it's slowly coming back up. 

I get tired of people bad-mouthing it all the time.  Usually people who listen to one bad song, like knowing about one bad person in a community, will naturally assume that all of that sort of thing is bad, but it's not.  People just need to lighten up and remember it's just MUSIC, and it should just be a joy to listen to.  Who cares if it's not what you're looking for, it doesn't mean it will suck.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/07/06 at 5:49 am

I love dance music.  It's much better than the rap and rock that's out now.  I think it might have been down in the dumps, but it's slowly coming back up. 

I get tired of people bad-mouthing it all the time.  Usually people who listen to one bad song, like knowing about one bad person in a community, will naturally assume that all of that sort of thing is bad, but it's not.  People just need to lighten up and remember it's just MUSIC, and it should just be a joy to listen to.  Who cares if it's not what you're looking for, it doesn't mean it will suck.

Yeah, people underestimate the whole of dance music. Alot of the Chemical Brothers and stuff like Dee-Lite is amazing. People also underestimate the power of good disco. But that's another story for another time  :) .

Check for new replies or respond here...