inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shrek-Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Written By: Carl on 04/03/06 at 12:04 pm

I have to admit, when the first one came out in '01, I was like ' What is THIS??', I saw the cast of voices for the characters and all, I didn't give this film a prayer. But once I saw it, then the 2nd one, I actually liked them.

Eddie Murphy has sure come a long way, from great movies like 48 Hours and Beverly Hills Cop to doing the voice of a jack-ass, or maybe that's fitting. LOL!!!! I'll say this, his singing at the end of both Shrek films was WAY better than  twenty years earlier with 'Party All The Time'

This was no 'Mid-Summers Night Dream', but was Shrek a thumps up or down?

Subject: Re: Shrek-Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/06 at 12:16 pm

I thought both Shrek I and Shrek II were really cute movies.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 12:36 pm

I've only seen the first one and that was about 4 years ago. It was fairly good. Not the best i've seen but not that bad either.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/03/06 at 12:38 pm

I thought both Shrek I and Shrek II were really cute movies.

So did I...they were very well made!  :)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/03/06 at 12:38 pm

I'm one of the few who didn't really like Shrek that much.

Written By: Carl on 04/03/06 at 1:13 pm

If I understand correctly, we have Shrek 3 on it's way soon!!

Written By: Webstor on 04/03/06 at 1:21 pm

I was skeptic at first when Shrek first hit theatres........and I didnt see it.

I rented it later on...and all I gotta say is.....2 thumbs up for Shrek!
and Shrek 2 is pretty good too.

I liked it beacuse it was an actual original idea....and we don't see that anymore.
Had some great creative people working on that one.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:51 am

Forget Donkey and Shrek...it was the supporting cast who stole the show. Pinnochio, "I'm a real boy! (for a second)", Gingey (the Gingerbread man), the petutuous Prince Charming (deliciously voiced by Rupert Everett)...and of course Antonio Banderas' Puss in Boots.

Written By: Kenlos on 04/04/06 at 11:22 am

I liked the first Shrek as I thought it was funny and an enjoyable family movie (other than some of the language).  I did not like Shrek 2 however.  The story line bored me as I had seen it a million times before and I didn't think it had near the humor the first one had.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/04/06 at 6:55 pm

Both Shrek movies are pretty cool, I have Shrek 2 on DVD. One of the extras on the DVD is an American Idol parody called "Far Far Away Idol"..and Simon Cowell, CGI version, is in the parody.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/06 at 2:21 am

Thumbs up for both movies.

Written By: jaytee on 04/05/06 at 9:12 am

Thumbs up for both movies.

Same here.

Written By: nikki89 on 04/05/06 at 3:52 pm

I LOVE the Shrek movies! Shrek was both the first DVD I ever rented and bought, and back when we had HBO, my dad and I watched Shrek and about 3 other movies everytime they came on, so I have it pretty much memorized. Shrek 2 is also very good. Puss in Boots is the cutest thing ever. I have a poster of him doing the eyes in my rooms at my dad's and mom's house. I can't wait for the 3rd movie, I just hope it's as good as the first two.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/06 at 4:25 pm

I LOVE the Shrek movies! Shrek was both the first DVD I ever rented and bought, and back when we had HBO, my dad and I watched Shrek and about 3 other movies everytime they came on, so I have it pretty much memorized. Shrek 2 is also very good. Puss in Boots is the cutest thing ever. I have a poster of him doing the eyes in my rooms at my dad's and mom's house. I can't wait for the 3rd movie, I just hope it's as good as the first two.

when is the 3rd one supposed to come out?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/06 at 4:34 pm

when is the 3rd one supposed to come out?
May June next year.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/06 at 4:41 pm

May June next year.

cool, thanks! ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/06 at 6:36 pm

Both thumbs up!

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/06/06 at 4:36 pm

I thought the first Shrek movie was enjoyable. Although I haven't seen the second one yet, I heard that it's about as good as the first. Did you know that so far Shrek 2 is the biggest movie of this decade? I doubt it will keep that record all the way until 2010 though -- the biggest movies of nearly every previous decade (Star Wars in the '70s, E.T. in the '80s, Titanic in the '90s) were all huge, and way, way bigger cinematic events than Shrek 2 was. But we'll see. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/06 at 7:25 pm

Meh, thumbs down. No appeal to me whatsoever.

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/07/06 at 5:06 am

I thought the first was pretty funny.  I never got to see the 2nd one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/06 at 11:18 am

On heariong the voice of John Cleese, I am enjoying these films

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/07/06 at 3:21 pm

I liked both of them, although I must confess I liked the first one a little more.

Written By: chiefyamick on 04/07/06 at 11:48 pm

They were both really good, although I will admit when it first came out I didn't think I'd enjoy the movie at all. Antonio Banderas was AWESOME in the second one as Puss....can't wait to see the third!!

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 12:52 am

thumbs down

they're okay but kinda overated

Written By: Criz on 04/08/06 at 6:19 am

I think that they're possibly the two best aminmated films to come out in this decade. Some of the Disney ones are ok - Disney films sem to have evolved in the last 10 years, but I don't think 'The Incredibles' and 'Monsters Inc' have been as good!

I think the comdey appeals to both an adult audience and the kids - with a lot of inter-textuality so adults get that recognition, of 'I know that reference - that's quite funny!' etc...

Definitly Thumbs Up - looking forward to Shrek 3!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/06 at 9:10 am

Two films both adults and kids can enjoy together.

Written By: Stompgal on 04/08/06 at 10:50 am

The Shrek films are brilliant, especially Shrek 2.

Written By: Dukefan on 04/08/06 at 3:15 pm

I'm one of the few who didn't really like Shrek that much.

I'm with you.  I thought the films were good, but I'm tired of hearing about them.   

Written By: paradisecity on 04/09/06 at 6:45 am

I liked the first one.

Not the second one, too many annoying voices. Especially Diaz, I cannot stand her.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/14/06 at 7:57 pm

I thought the first Shrek movie was enjoyable. Although I haven't seen the second one yet, I heard that it's about as good as the first. Did you know that so far Shrek 2 is the biggest movie of this decade? I doubt it will keep that record all the way until 2010 though -- the biggest movies of nearly every previous decade (Star Wars in the '70s, E.T. in the '80s, Titanic in the '90s) were all huge, and way, way bigger cinematic events than Shrek 2 was. But we'll see. :)

I just discovered that the information I provided above is incorrect. Shrek 2 is only the biggest movie of the '00s so far in North America, garnering $440 million here. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, by contrast, garnered $377 in North America, putting it in second place.

But worldwide, The Return of the King slams Shrek 2 and is one of the highest-grossing movies of all time. It does not make sense to claim Shrek 2 as the "biggest" movie of the '00s when it only grossed $63 million more than The Return of the King domestically, while The Return of the King is placed #7 on the list of the 40 highest-grossing movies worldwide when you adjust for inflation (lists that don't adjust for inflation are irrelevent, in my opinion), while Shrek 2 doesn't even make the top 40 at all.

So the bottomline is that The Return of the King is the biggest movie of the '00s so far, which makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. Frankly, I found the idea of Shrek 2 being the biggest movie of the decade kind of pathetic, regardless of how entertaining it might be.

This is a little unusual, though, as the biggest movies of the previous three decades (Star Wars, E.T., and Titanic) were biggest in both North America and worldwide.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/14/06 at 8:00 pm

sorry, I had double posted...

Check for new replies or respond here...