inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What 00's music will age well?

Written By: sonikuu on 04/03/06 at 6:37 pm

We all know that the music from every decade tends to date itself.  Some of the songs that seemed the best ever at the time are now seen as horribly cheesy and outdated.  Just look at the 80's.  However, while most 80's music sounds quite dated, there are some artists that still sound extremely good and have aged very well, such as U2 and The Police.  So, my question is, what artists from the 00's will age well?  That is, what 00's musicians WON'T be seen as horribly outdated and cheesy in 10 or 20 years?

Here are some 00's musicians that I think will age fairly well over the course of the next 10 or 20 years.

Green Day (their clothes and videos will look dated, but not necessarily the music)
Coldplay
Kanye West (except Gold Digger)
Foo Fighters (more of a 90's band, but oh well)
Most of the Indie Rock bands(unless Indie Rock somehow becomes mainstream and commercializes itself)

Add in your own artists and feel free to comment on my picks, as well as everyone elses.

Subject: Re: What 00's music will age well?

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/06 at 6:44 pm

Assuming Alternative Rock will still be around years from now, popular bands like Manic Street Preachers, Starsailor and the Super Furry Animals will definately age well

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 7:11 pm

I think the '00s actually has a dearth of artists who are decent enough to age well. This includes indie rock such as Arcade Fire, Cursive, The Strokes, Bright Eyes, etc., because it's ultimately very whiny/sterile/pretentious/style-obsessed and overly intellectual, and doesn't exactly grip anything but your aesthetics, and it's very "hipster-y." Out of the peak '80s, IMO, artists who've aged well overall include:

The Talking Heads
U2
Prince
Michael Jackson
Bon Jovi
Whitney Houston
Erasure
Depeche Mode
Soft Cell
Kate Bush
Cyndi Lauper (some of her stuff, anyway)
The Police
Madonna
Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, the Pixies, and other period indie rock

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 7:15 pm

Glam rap and Emo probably will not, but real Indie rock probably wont. Neither will Coldplay IMO. As far as Green Day goes hell they'll probably still be making albums in 2020 ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 2:47 am

'00s music? Probably mostly the rock. The rap and emo will be really dated.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/04/06 at 3:01 am

Rock has a history of aging well. Where as most, if not all disco/old school rap/dance/new wave and pop from the 70s, 80s and 90s sounds rather cheesy and dated (but not neccessarily bad).

The music that will stand the test of time will be mostly semi-undeground stuff like indie/alt. rock, post-punk (not the Good Charlotte stuff, I'm talking the Blur, Franz Ferdinand, Futureheads type stuff) and some rap (more adult-oriented stuff like Kayne West, Will Smith etc)

Of course this post is biased towards my music. So of course the music I like I am going to say will age better than something I don't like.  ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 5:57 am

I think, overall, R&B and "classic rock"/real alt "rock" with emphasis on the rock-type music age better than anything else. Alot of R&B from the late '80s and early '90s doesn't sound dated in any way, actually.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:01 am

I still associate Green Day more with the 90s...and they've aged well.

Anyone who doesn't talk themselves up will age well. There are a few exceptions, such as Prince, Michael Jackson, U2.etc.

Anyone who doesn't follow music trends religiously...e.g. Taxiride and Creed...they've aged tremendously.

Check for new replies or respond here...