inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who still has a record player/still listens to records?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 10:08 am

In 2006, how many of you still listen to record players as regularly as other formats? Recently we purchased one (a 'modern' turntable circa 1980) for the sheer novelty. Then we found out you need a pre-amp to hear it at a reasonable volume. But there are many advantages; many of the records are dirt cheap, not as scratchable as CDs, more tangible than mp3s. Any vinyl loyalists who refuse to listen to anything else?

Subject: Re: Who still has a record player/still listens to records?

Written By: La Roche on 04/04/06 at 10:29 am

In 2006, how many of you still listen to record players as regularly as other formats? Recently we purchased one (a 'modern' turntable circa 1980) for the sheer novelty. Then we found out you need a pre-amp to hear it at a reasonable volume. But there are many advantages; many of the records are dirt cheap, not as scratchable as CDs, more tangible than mp3s. Any vinyl loyalists who refuse to listen to anything else?

I'm by no means a vinyl loyalist, however, that being said, I purchase as much in the way of records as I do CD's. I much prefer the sound and can find far more of what I like on vinyl.

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 10:33 am

I listen to a mix of vinyl, cassettes and CDs.  Some stuff I have on vinyl you probably can't get on CD  (though I did manage to buy The Wombles album)

Written By: FaultyDog on 04/04/06 at 11:10 am

Just the other day I wanted to listen to one of my 7" singles, only to find my record player is broken. >:(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 12:49 pm

Nope, but I want to buy a turntable.

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/06 at 12:56 pm

I have a old crappy turntable from the mid-70s (complete with an 8-Track player).  It's a real piece of crap, but it does the job.  I have a fair amount of albums that I listen to, but when it comes to vinyl, I usually only collect compilation albums, 45's and 12" singles

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/06 at 1:02 pm

We have MEGA records and a turntable but the turntable isn't working right. It makes 45s sound like 33s and it makes 33s sound like they are on Prozac. I'm sure that it just gunk in there that needs to be cleaned. We have been meaning to take it in for years now but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe one of these years.

Cat

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 1:14 pm

I wouldn't consider myself to be a vinyl loyalist but I do listen to my dad old record player he got in the early 80's quite often.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/04/06 at 1:16 pm

I have masses of 7" singles but no record player - as they're all on an old vintage jukebox (American btw)   ;) ;)

Written By: Marian on 04/04/06 at 1:56 pm

Just the other day I wanted to listen to one of my 7" singles, only to find my record player is broken. >:(
I got a record player at target,maybe you should lok there!

Written By: KKay on 04/05/06 at 8:36 am

we have thousands of records...i have my favorites in one spot for easy access..
i play lps a few times a weekk...and they are an essential part of summer parties!

Written By: La Roche on 04/05/06 at 8:42 am

we have thousands of records...i have my favorites in one spot for easy access..
i play lps a few times a weekk...and they are an essential part of summer parties!

This is why I won't let you touch the nice one's.

CD's are the party instrument.
If you jump around even a bit, it's not hard to mess up the vinyl, plus, nobody wants to be changing records all the time (especially if you have a fully manual deck like myself) thus, you procure the special cable, and hook your deck to your computer and transfer your records to CD. Thus, when you don't wanna be messing with shiit, you put them in the CD changer. (I'm smart)

Written By: Gis on 04/05/06 at 9:11 am

I have a friend who writes for 'What HiFi' magazine in the U.K and he swears by his record deck. Says if you have it set up right the sound is so far superior to Cd's etc.
My turntable is broken at the moment Boo  >:(

Written By: La Roche on 04/05/06 at 9:13 am

I have a friend who writes for 'What HiFi' magazine in the U.K and he swears by his record deck. Says if you have it set up right the sound is so far superior to Cd's etc.

It is superior, if like he say's, it is set up right.

Mine is old but good, I prefer a manual set up, you need a good amp, good pre-amp and good speakers as well though, plus, play 180 gram to enhance the sound quality  :)

Written By: conker on 04/07/06 at 12:55 pm

Use mine weekly,  I have about 450 LPs and about 100 cassettes.  I was buying CD replacements for LPs to bring to work in the car etc but found a great device and software to transfer LPs or Cassettes to my PC then burn to CD or rip to MP3 etc.
It also allows for editing and cleaning up of any surface noise etc.

IT been great for introducing my daughters to some of the music that influences what they listen to now.

Written By: La Roche on 04/07/06 at 1:25 pm

Main reason for the superior sound on vinyl is this..

A CD player essentially takes around 44,000 pictures per second of the surface of the disc and converts this to a digital format so as to play it in a way we can understand.
Many records may have the equivilant of over 65,000 pictures worth of information contained within their grooves, thus, the CD player is only about to pick up a portion of what is actually there.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/07/06 at 1:54 pm

Main reason for the superior sound on vinyl is this..

A CD player essentially takes around 44,000 pictures per second of the surface of the disc and converts this to a digital format so as to play it in a way we can understand.
Many records may have the equivilant of over 65,000 pictures worth of information contained within their grooves, thus, the CD player is only about to pick up a portion of what is actually there.

I will say this: a CD IS A RECORD. It's not vinyl, but it works the same way: they're both made of plastic, read with a scanner (needle, laser), both have bumps, play music.  The only difference is how the information is stored and played back, but the mechanism is the same.  A CD is much more traditional than say an MP3 file or even a cassette tape.

Written By: La Roche on 04/07/06 at 7:00 pm

I will say this: a CD IS A RECORD. It's not vinyl, but it works the same way: they're both made of plastic, read with a scanner (needle, laser), both have bumps, play music.  The only difference is how the information is stored and played back, but the mechanism is the same.  A CD is much more traditional than say an MP3 file or even a cassette tape.

Well, in a sense.

The laser dosen't so much read bumps as it takes pictures, like I said.
40+ thousand of them per second.
However, it can only take so many at a time.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/07/06 at 7:03 pm

My dad still has a turntable and well over 1000 records if you count 45s and 33s.

Written By: chiefyamick on 04/07/06 at 11:45 pm

Turntable?? Hell I still have an 8 track player that works!!! Woo-hoo!!!!  :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/08/06 at 3:36 am

'CD-quality' is actually far inferior to the ultra high-definition recording quality original used to mix the tapes...I don't know about records, having rarely actually listened to records on a decent CD-system. Now I listen to them, I find the quality of MP3s encoded in anything less than 192kbps significantly lower than even CDs...

Written By: La Roche on 04/08/06 at 12:48 pm

'CD-quality' is actually far inferior to the ultra high-definition recording quality original used to mix the tapes...I don't know about records, having rarely actually listened to records on a decent CD-system. Now I listen to them, I find the quality of MP3s encoded in anything less than 192kbps significantly lower than even CDs...

Digital quality is inferior to most alternate mediums.

As I say, the Laser on the CD player has a limited capacity for information retreival, thus it will always miss a percentage of what is on the disc, where as a tape or record will follow the grooves of on the tape of record and pick up 100% of what is there.

Most of my MP3's are in 256kbps format.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/06 at 3:23 pm

Digital quality is inferior to most alternate mediums.

Depends on the engineering quality. A lot of the early CD releases sounded flat not because of the limits of the medium, but because recording engineers lacked familiarity with the capicities of the technology.

I got rid of my turntable in the late '90s. I replaced all the records I could with CD and whatever I couldn't replace, I burned onto CD-R. When I can afford to do so, I will transfer most of my CD-Rs to a more durable medium...this crap never ends!
::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/08/06 at 7:02 pm

Honestly, I like CD's. Small, portable, nice to take with me on the bus so that I don't have to listen to the people around me. I'm used to having music when I'm going anywhere. And I also have a pretty decent-sounding Sony CD boombox in my bedroom. And I can use my XBox to play CD's and rip them to the game console's hard drive to listen while I'm playing a game.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 6:53 am

Honestly, I like CD's. Small, portable, nice to take with me on the bus so that I don't have to listen to the people around me. I'm used to having music when I'm going anywhere. And I also have a pretty decent-sounding Sony CD boombox in my bedroom. And I can use my XBox to play CD's and rip them to the game console's hard drive to listen while I'm playing a game.

If I stacked up all the CDs in my room they'd reach to the moon. That's one problem with the CD...it became too common, thus too cheap.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/06 at 6:56 am

If I stacked up all the CDs in my room they'd reach to the moon. That's one problem with the CD...it became too common, thus too cheap.

...and it ends up that the CD you wish to listen to is at the bottom of the pile.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 8:57 am

...and it ends up that the CD you wish to listen to is at the bottom of the pile.

Too true...It's like, ah I won't ever listen to this CD again. I think I'll use it as a frisby. The next day, 'Where is that damn CD!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/09/06 at 10:50 am

Turntable?? Hell I still have an 8 track player that works!!! Woo-hoo!!!!  :D

About 12 years ago I was in a Radio Shack store and saw this old dusty 8-track player on sale.  It was a clearance item and I got it for like $30.  My brother had a player that was broken, thought I would get it for him.

When I took it to the counter, for some reason I felt compelled to let the clerk know that it was not really "for me" but for my brother.  The shame...  :-[

The clerk gave me this look like "Sure its not for you..."

;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...