inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 1:25 pm

What do people expect for this year?  I turn 18 in '08, so this will certainly be a big year for me.

Subject: Re: 2008

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 1:36 pm

Yeah, turning 18 is cool(I did it last year) even though it's not all its cracked up to be. As far as 2008 goes:

-A democrat will win the presidential election(NOT Hilliary Clinton)
-Emo will have a considerable decrease in popularity
-Glam Rap will have a pretty lackluster sales year
-After a recession at the end of this year things will get a little better in '08.
-People will get tired of reality shows
-A new type of music will gain popularity

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/06 at 1:38 pm

Why 2008 though? ???

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 2:16 pm

-Worker's rights/pro-union anti-outsourcing and illegal immigration movement gains immense steam.
-Glam rap starts to be very lackluster and emo/'00s indie-yuppie art rock declines in popularity seriously.
-Beginnings of a hipster backlash.
-Reality TV declines, Simpsons is basically over.
-Democrat will win presidential election.
-A new type of underground music comes up and starts becoming somewhat popular, as machine_head said.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:21 pm

-Worker's rights/pro-union anti-outsourcing and illegal immigration movement gains immense steam.
-Glam rap starts to be very lackluster and emo/'00s indie-yuppie art rock declines in popularity seriously.
-Beginnings of a hipster backlash.
-Reality TV declines, Simpsons is basically over.
-Democrat will win presidential election.
-A new type of underground music comes up and starts becoming somewhat popular, as machine_head said.

Yeah, I think 2008 will be the year that alot of things that are "very 00's" start to come to an end and some things that'll be popular in the '10's start to pop up. 2009 will be a countinuation of this.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 2:32 pm

Yeah, I think 2008 will be the year that alot of things that are "very 00's" start to come to an end and some things that'll be popular in the '10's start to pop up. 2009 will be a countinuation of this.

Yeah, it'll sort of be a 1998 type thing.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:58 pm

Yeah, it'll sort of be a 1998 type thing.

Yeah, I think 2008/2009 will somewhat mirror 1998/1999.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 1:05 am

in 08 comedy central will begin showing re-runs of futurama. (futurama will never die)

and.....    futurama might begin again. (that's right, brand new episodes of futurama baby)

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/06 at 1:07 am

and.....    futurama might begin again. (that's right, brand new episodes of futurama baby)

That actually might happen.  Family Guy came back, so I think Futurama will too :)

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 1:42 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/08/06 at 3:32 am

Why don't we just wait til 2008 actually happens? It's less than 2 years away...

Written By: Criz on 04/08/06 at 6:08 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:39 am

I really like both Family Guy and Futurama - never go into the Simpsons though, don't get why that's more popular!

2008...I don't see how things will be much different to 2006 to be honest. It's usually the latter part of the decade where changes will take place.

What I hope for 2008 pop-culture wise:

- For the chav phenomenon to just disintergrate
- For the 80s to still be regarded as cool :]
- For more great indie and cult films to recive some well deserved exposure
- For indie music to become as popular as it was in the Britpop era of the mid 90s
- For 80s samples in dance/trance/house songs to just STOP!!
- For Gangsat hip hop to just STOP!!
- For another two series of 24 to air :P (Possibly the only good thing Murdoch has done!!)
- For Michael Moore (or someone similar!!) to become President, and for a liberal candidate to become Prime Minister

-I think half-mainstreamed indie music a la Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, and its ilk is peaking.
-Gangsta hip-hop is dead.
-I'm a liberal who'd shoot myself if Michael Moore became president.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 2:56 pm

I really like both Family Guy and Futurama - never go into the Simpsons though, don't get why that's more popular!

you too are my new best friend  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 04/08/06 at 2:57 pm

Michael Moore will say "Screw all these documentaries, i'm running for president"

Something terrible will occur on my space making security ridiculous which'll slowly drive kids away from it, maybe

A democrat will be elected

We will see more and more kids gravitating towards early 90s styles

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 7:28 pm

Michael Moore will say "Screw all these documentaries, i'm running for president"

Something terrible will occur on my space making security ridiculous which'll slowly drive kids away from it, maybe

A democrat will be elected

We will see more and more kids gravitating towards early 90s styles

Agreed with all. I think somebody will get murdered off of MySpace or there'll be a chain of killings and it will slowly drive people away from it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/08/06 at 9:26 pm

As I mentioned before, I think 2008 will be similar to 1992, mainly because a Democrat will be elected president due to the recession beginning in late 2006 (similar to the recession that started in late 1990, which is mainly why Bush Sr. lost the election to Clinton). 2008 will be the light at the end of the tunnel, much like how 1992 was. As far as pop-culture goes, I think it will be an improved version of the styles that 2005 set off, just like how 1992 was the ultimate year for the styles that 1989 set off.

Check for new replies or respond here...