inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dance music/clubbing scene, 90s or 00s

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/05/06 at 10:32 pm

1995 vs 2005? Which type of music/scene do you like better? Sure, the 90s dance music was much technically simpler, but I dunno, I kind of prefer it in many ways to the 00s. The songs were better, better choice of drugs (just kidding)...

Subject: Re: Dance music/clubbing scene, 90s or 00s

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/06/06 at 7:08 am

Kinda hard for me to judge. I like the music from both, but as I was never really in clubs until the 2000's, I would opt for that scene.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/06/06 at 11:57 am

I dont know. Probably 00's though.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/06 at 12:22 pm

I'm not into the club scene .. i just love the music.  As much as I love dance music of today, I will always favour 90's dance music more, and 195 was a great year for it

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 2:10 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/06 at 7:28 pm

Dance club music 1995: thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump....

Dance club music 2005: thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump....

And I should give a rat's azz because....?
???

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/06/06 at 7:36 pm

Dance music and the dance scene, with raves and such, were way cooler and more interesting in the '90s. It came back in vogue in the mid-'90s. Though the late '70s beat 'em all, of course.

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/07/06 at 4:54 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/07/06 at 7:40 am

I associate dance music, strange as it sounds, with aerobics. When we went to the swimming pool they'd always blast songs like, 'Rhythm of the Night', 'Sexy Eyes', 'Macarena' (shudder), 'Summer Rain' over the sound system. The rave scene was really happening back then...now clubs are a little bland and boring.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 8:14 am

shove

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 12:19 pm

I remember when from like 1995-2000 "club" music and raving were all over. Now, the club scene is less about true "club" music and more about crunky glam rap and Paris Hilton, "cosmopolitan" wannabes than the euphoric raving scene, which was ultimately a redux of disco.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/10/06 at 12:27 pm

I remember when from like 1995-2000 "club" music and raving were all over. Now, the club scene is less about true "club" music and more about crunky glam rap and Paris Hilton, "cosmopolitan" wannabes than the euphoric raving scene, which was ultimately a redux of disco.

Um, then how do you account for the hyphy movement and similar ones that are big in clubs?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 1:21 pm

The idea of being in a cramped club with the constant "thump, thump, thump" over the P.A. gives me a frightful headache.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/10/06 at 1:39 pm

The idea of being in a cramped club with the constant "thump, thump, thump" over the P.A. gives me a frightful headache.

Alex you sound like a pensioner  ;D ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 1:43 pm

Alex you sound like a pensioner  ;D ;D

Whats a pensioner? ???

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/10/06 at 1:47 pm

Whats a pensioner? ???

ah sorry US is Senior Citizen

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 1:50 pm

ah sorry US is Senior Citizen

Ah- you mean I sound like an old man? ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:34 pm

I kind of like the miniamalistic, more techno-sounding 90s music. I.e. sounds like, Tatjana 'Santa Maria' or Corona's 'Rhythm of the Night.' The 90s, it seems, were more about having a good time. People didn't take clubbing so seriously (or maybe they took it more seriously). Overall, I think anything up to '97 has a more 80s, even New Wave sort of dance sound.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 3:45 pm

When we be up in the club
We be posting the back
When we be in the club
Girl always come to the back
And we 'bout to get our head sprung

Sumptin' Terrible, tell 'em how we come
S-T-U-P-I-D
When we go to the club we don't need ID
Everywhere we go is a party y'all
We gon' get it crackin' like the Mardi Gras

Rather than attempt to describe or analyze my club philsophy, I just present these two lyrical excerpts. However, all I can say is - if everyone on the scene is enjoying it, why bother pining for what used to be? If it's not for you, surely you're either at the wrong venues or perhaps attempting the wrong pursuit?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 10:20 pm

bump

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/06 at 7:18 am

Whats a pensioner? ???

Your kids will be asking, "What's a pension?"
:o

In the '90s I liked "Electronica," much of which grew out of the techno and trance music. Such as Aphex Twin, The Orb, The Future Sound of London, Mu-ziq (not the rapper), Orbital, Plastikman, etc. These artists produced danceable tracks as well as ambient (aka "chillout") music, and music that was interesting to listen to on its own. I never found trance, house, or even jungle interesting.

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/06 at 7:45 pm

The Future Sound of London

"We Have Explosive" was a great track from them 8)

Written By: Howard on 09/06/14 at 1:00 pm

I was watching a Phil Donahue show about a group called The Club Kids from 1994, these are kids who dress up and have a good time at the clubs, dressing up is how they feel. Since this is about the clubbing scene, I'd thought this would be a good discussion about them and your thoughts about their costumes.

http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/club_kids_web2.jpg

http://club.kids.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/kabuki.jpg

http://static4.worldofwonder.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Screen-shot-2013-10-29-at-2.09.35-PM.png

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/07/14 at 5:41 am

I was too young for clubs in the 90's by far, but I'd want to say 90's because of the music. I used to listen to a show done live from a club on Fridays and they played Eurodance and faster, more exciting music than the hip hop and R&B of the 2000's. I went to a club once in 2006 and that's most of what was played, not that there weren't some songs I liked, but I think the 90's would have been the more fun experience.

Written By: XYkid on 09/07/14 at 10:01 am

I love 90s dance music, I think I'd rather have that. The 00s was full of wannabe gangster crap.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/07/14 at 11:45 am

I love 90s dance music, I think I'd rather have that. The 00s was full of wannabe gangster crap.
Same here. There are great 90s music to dance to and you're definitely right, most of 2000s dance music was club styled, wannabe gangster and Hip-hop. Most Hip-hop songs I heard in the 00s were not the same as the ones from the 80s, 90s and today. The 90s dance music actually had different genres that everyone can listen to.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/14 at 1:31 pm

I was too young for clubs in the 90's by far, but I'd want to say 90's because of the music. I used to listen to a show done live from a club on Fridays and they played Eurodance and faster, more exciting music than the hip hop and R&B of the 2000's. I went to a club once in 2006 and that's most of what was played, not that there weren't some songs I liked, but I think the 90's would have been the more fun experience.

Hey Katana, have you ever dressed up like these guys or would you ever get caught like that? Those guys are called Club Kids, all they did was party, do drugs and just have fun. They went clubbing all the time at The Limelight.

Check for new replies or respond here...