inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Maybe '06 isn't that bad

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 1:58 pm

Since '06 is now over 25% done, I don't think it's turning out that bad. A little boring maybe, but the chart's aren't that awful (aside from Grillz  ;D) and the movies have been good, like V for Vendetta.  It's looking better than 2005.

Subject: Re: Maybe '06 isn't that bad

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/08/06 at 1:59 pm

Yea it's looking alright.

Written By: twistedwarp on 04/08/06 at 2:04 pm

Yeah the good part of the year starts in the summer 8)

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/08/06 at 7:15 pm

Since '06 is now over 25% done, I don't think it's turning out that bad. A little boring maybe, but the chart's aren't that awful (aside from Grillz  ;D) and the movies have been good, like V for Vendetta.  It's looking better than 2005.

Nah, I don't think it was good as '05. I really enjoyed last year, for both the pop-culture and my personal life. Last year had better music (Gwen Stefani, Gorillaz, Kanye West, etc.) and good movies (Batman Begins, Star Wars III, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc.), although this years movies have been pretty good too (yeah V For Vendetta was a good one, and I'm looking forward to Superman Returns, X-Men 3, M:I-3, and Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift). But I think things will get really bad later this year and the first half of '07 with the recession.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 7:32 pm

Nah, I don't think it was good as '05. I really enjoyed last year, for both the pop-culture and my personal life. Last year had better music (Gwen Stefani, Gorillaz, Kanye West, etc.) and good movies (Batman Begins, Star Wars III, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc.), although this years movies have been pretty good too (yeah V For Vendetta was a good one, and I'm looking forward to Superman Returns, X-Men 3, M:I-3, and Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift). But I think things will get really bad later this year and the first half of '07 with the recession.

I think '06 has been pretty boring so far, but this summer will be good. Early '05 had much more of a feeling. The only fads I've noticed this year so far are things increased from late '05, such as MySpace, text messaging, Uggs, the preppie look, the whole bohemian hipster thing, Kanye West, and indie-yuppie music.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/08/06 at 9:16 pm

I think '06 has been pretty boring so far, but this summer will be good. Early '05 had much more of a feeling. The only fads I've noticed this year so far are things increased from late '05, such as MySpace, text messaging, Uggs, the preppie look, the whole bohemian hipster thing, Kanye West, and indie-yuppie music.

Crocs - thats another fad I noticed this year.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 9:17 pm

When does the hoop earring fad originate?  I wear, every girl wears those things.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 9:20 pm

When does the hoop earring fad originate?  I wear, every girl wears those things.

The early '00s.

Written By: paradisecity on 04/09/06 at 6:48 am

Not me, I hardly wear earrings.

In fact, I think you'll find only chav girls wear hoop earrings. Really, it's true. But yeah, 2006 has been boring so far. I hate hip hop and rap music, and those are the two most popular genres around here. It's really frustrating. And the so called "indie" music isn't that good either. I mean, Arctic Monkeys? Give me a break, they suck.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/09/06 at 8:40 am

In fact, I think you'll find only chav girls wear hoop earrings. Really, it's true. But yeah, 2006 has been boring so far. I hate hip hop and rap music, and those are the two most popular genres around here. It's really frustrating. And the so called "indie" music isn't that good either. I mean, Arctic Monkeys? Give me a break, they suck.

Thank you for finally saying most "indie" music these days isn't that great.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 9:13 am

Arctic Monkeys are indeed overrated...

Written By: Apricot on 04/09/06 at 10:44 am

Movie-wise, the end of 2005 and the beginning of 2006 has been fairly impressive.. musically, it's yet to impress me. Culturally.. well, I never care much about any other form of pop culture. Politically.. we'll see.

I think I prefered 2005, but we'll let this one finish out.

Written By: Apricot on 04/09/06 at 10:44 am

Arctic Monkeys are indeed overrated...

Oh My God, yes... and everyone's ALWAYS talking about them... I listened to that whole CD... aye.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/09/06 at 11:19 am

Oh My God, yes... and everyone's ALWAYS talking about them... I listened to that whole CD... aye.

So are Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Arcade Fire, somewhat. I don't like indie-yuppie music very much.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 2:46 pm

From the one song I've heard, they don't sound special.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/09/06 at 5:38 pm

I like the Arctic Monkeys, something about their style.. its not that what they play is ground breaking or their lyrics especially compelling(fairly simple) but its the WAY they play..

They actually have talent it seems, and I think they could develop further into a really good band.  Sorry to make the inevitable Beatles comparison but their first album was hardly Abbey Road(I'm talking about Please Please Me).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/06 at 6:54 pm

I like the Arctic Monkeys. But I've always liked music with a stong British sound (Blur, Oasis, etc). No, their music is nothing spectactular, but I like 'em.

So are Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Arcade Fire, somewhat. I don't like indie-yuppie music very much.
Clap your Hands Say Yeah... their vocals sound like a dying cat. Arcade Fire... hey I like The Arcade Fire.

Written By: Apricot on 04/09/06 at 7:45 pm

Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah is really annoying.

Arcade Fire... they're good. Over-rated, though, I'll give them that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/06 at 8:14 pm

Meh. I think I might have to reluctantly agree with you on this one. I like to be reasonably open-minded about new music, but music this time last year was indeed better than it is this year. By April last year I had already bought about 4 albums released last year, compared to just 1 this year. Hopefully this slump in decent music in 2006 will end in the 2nd quarter (April-June) and actually improve. As of now it appears 2006 might be mimicing 2001 (my least favourite year of the '00s musically) in terms of quality music.  :-\\

Written By: Bladerunner on 04/09/06 at 8:16 pm

'06 isn't that bad in comparison to last year, that was awful - for me anyway.

It started out kinda bad, but it's starting to become pretty good now, actually.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 9:58 pm

Why do you insist on calling it 'indie yuppie music?' I'm not a huge Arcade Fire fan, but I don't think 'inddie yuppie' music is pretentious at all.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/10/06 at 2:01 pm

2006 hasn't been that bad so far, just a little boring(as others have said). Maybe the year will get a little better in the summer but I doubt mainstream music will.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 3:07 pm

2006 hasn't been that bad so far, just a little boring(as others have said). Maybe the year will get a little better in the summer but I doubt mainstream music will.

Not with K-Fed  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 3:38 pm

Why do you insist on calling it 'indie yuppie music?' I'm not a huge Arcade Fire fan, but I don't think 'inddie yuppie' music is pretentious at all.

-It's pretentious music for people who like to think they know alot about music. This just comes from my evaluation of the people I've met who listen to it. And they always analyze why they like it with how the chords progress, and such...it just strikes me as being so weak and coming from the head and not the heart.

Written By: Apricot on 04/10/06 at 8:02 pm

-It's pretentious music for people who like to think they know alot about music. This just comes from my evaluation of the people I've met who listen to it. And they always analyze why they like it with how the chords progress, and such...it just strikes me as being so weak and coming from the head and not the heart.

..sometimes people are just analytical. They admire a song for not only it's lyrical depth and catchy tune, but they also admire the chord progression, the irregular meter, etc.

I'm like that myself. Arcade Fire, for example, is capable of good lyrical depth ("Neighborhood #1", "Crown of Love") and yet they have interesting things, such as classical-type bass lines ("Rebellion (Lies)" has a lot of similarities to Mozart's 40th)... you can be analytical and still appreciate depth.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:22 pm

The beauty of music is appreciating it on many levels. One can appreciate the technical skill.etc, or just feel the raw, emotional aspect of the music. I think Architecture in Helsinki is admittantly on the cerebral side; but being tremendously moving is not a pre-requisite for good music, nor should it be immediately associated with 'yuppies.'

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 12:42 pm

The beauty of music is appreciating it on many levels. One can appreciate the technical skill.etc, or just feel the raw, emotional aspect of the music. I think Architecture in Helsinki is admittantly on the cerebral side; but being tremendously moving is not a pre-requisite for good music, nor should it be immediately associated with 'yuppies.'

I just happen to think tremendously moving music is the best, but that's my personal opinion. Like Tori Amos is just about THE most moving music on the market, without being whiny (whiny is not moving.) And it's my favorite. The best music probably has both cerebral sides and more emotional sides. But alot of stuff like Architecture in Helsinki, IMO, lacks the "moving" end.

Check for new replies or respond here...