inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tech Fads

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 9:31 pm

I'm of the opinion that there are alot of "tech fads." Chatrooms were a big one in the '90s, but those steadily became less popular as they got dirtier and less safe with time. I think the same thing will happen to Myspace, it is a fad that will become steadily less popular due to safety issues, as somebody in this board said.

Camera phones are another tech fad, so are tamagochis. I think text messaging and iPods, current fads, will die down as people get used to them even if they're still there.

Subject: Re: Tech Fads

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/09/06 at 12:03 am

bump

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 12:59 am

I remember those Tamagotchis.  I think they were popular from like 1997 to 1999.  That Simon game was also popular during the '80s and '90s.

Written By: rich1981 on 04/09/06 at 1:39 am

Blogs such as livejournal are another tech fad that came to be popular recently and although I have an account, I recently haven't updated it. I'm not totally sure when blogs first came out but I've seen entries dated as far back as 2000.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 6:50 am

I remember those Tamagotchis.  I think they were popular from like 1997 to 1999.  That Simon game was also popular during the '80s and '90s.

Haven't been on for bout 24 hours but it seems like much longer...

Tamagotchis exploded in popularity in mid-1996; I remember because everyone at school had them (so did a hundred other trends, like a resurgence in yo-yos, tazos.etc), and saw a resurgence in the early part of this decade.

I don't think you could call an ipod, camera-phone a 'fad' - they are geniunely innovative technology inventions (much like a TV, and you wouldn't really call TV a fad. Or maybe a really long-term fad) which will continue to evolve rather than die out.

Chatrooms...they've always been dirty and unsafe. Message boards, on the other hand, have always been popular.
Fads at the moment include video mp3 players (they'll be replaced by true integrated peripherals), phones will a million useless features and equally useless designs.etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/09/06 at 8:39 am

Haven't been on for bout 24 hours but it seems like much longer...

Tamagotchis exploded in popularity in mid-1996; I remember because everyone at school had them (so did a hundred other trends, like a resurgence in yo-yos, tazos.etc), and saw a resurgence in the early part of this decade.

I don't think you could call an ipod, camera-phone a 'fad' - they are geniunely innovative technology inventions (much like a TV, and you wouldn't really call TV a fad. Or maybe a really long-term fad) which will continue to evolve rather than die out.

Chatrooms...they've always been dirty and unsafe. Message boards, on the other hand, have always been popular.
Fads at the moment include video mp3 players (they'll be replaced by true integrated peripherals), phones will a million useless features and equally useless designs.etc.

I think what happened to Chatrooms will happen to Myspace. But those moronic phones with a hundred useless features and text messaging are fads like Tamagotchis.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 8:52 am

I think what happened to Chatrooms will happen to Myspace. But those moronic phones with a hundred useless features and text messaging are fads like Tamagotchis.

WAP Internet browsing is something which never caught on (much like the ill-fated MMS was killed by Bluetooth)...and I presume it will die out, with more and more phones being equipted with Wi-Fi. The trend is definately in merging of devices, cameras, pdas, phones into one device - which is definitely not gimmicky. Having a million things on a crappy plastic phone is though.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 04/09/06 at 10:41 pm

I can't imagine blogs ever becoming obsolete. Blogs last through all the my spaces, facebooks, livejournals, etc. It's the most simple way to talk about life.

Chat rooms are no longer fun. I remember around 1997-1998, when I was in 6 grade, chat rooms had no robots, barely any kids purposely starting trouble, and you could actually have clean conversations. Chats now are way too crowded with too many cyberbots.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/06 at 1:13 pm

Blogs are a big thing right now, Chat rooms are way too cluttered and filled with bots.

Check for new replies or respond here...