inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think of 2006, so far?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 9:01 pm

I think it's okay.

Subject: Re: What do you think of 2006, so far?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/09/06 at 9:03 pm

I voted okay- mainly because people are waking up to Bush's crap. Otherwise though this year doesn't seem that different from the rest of the 2000s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 9:04 pm

I voted okay- mainly because people are waking up to Bush's crap. Otherwise though this year doesn't seem that different from the rest of the 2000s.

I agree.  Plus I saw V for Vendetta, which was awesome, and has sort of made the year so far.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 10:02 pm

So far I can't distinguish it from 2005; pretty much another year for me. I think it'll turn out alright.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 6:24 am

It somehow feels less vulgar and less "'00s" than say 2004.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/10/06 at 10:42 am

As far as pop-culture goes, it's okay now, but I think it might get really lame when K-Fed's CD comes out (scheduled for Aug.). Economically I think the later part will get worse. I think we will finally go into a recession that has been forcasted, and the real estate market will start to drop. As far as my personal life, it's okay but not as good as '05. I'll just have to wait and see how the rest of the year goes.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 12:43 pm

As far as pop-culture goes, it's okay now, but I think it might get really lame when K-Fed's CD comes out (scheduled for Aug.). Economically I think the later part will get worse. I think we will finally go into a recession that has been forcasted, and the real estate market will start to drop. As far as my personal life, it's okay but not as good as '05. I'll just have to wait and see how the rest of the year goes.

By then glam rap will be backlashed. I'm almost looking forward to K-Fed for that reason.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/10/06 at 2:05 pm

It's o.k. But when Vinnella Ice(a.k.a Kevin Federline) comes out with his record I think things are gonna take a turn for the worse.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 3:06 pm

It's o.k. But when Vinnella Ice(a.k.a Kevin Federline) comes out with his record I think things are gonna take a turn for the worse.

;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/10/06 at 3:09 pm

Yeap, K-Fed is who will make this year just like 1990 (when Vanilla Ice's "To the Extreme" came out), plus the bad economy.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 3:12 pm

Yeap, K-Fed is who will make this year just like 1990 (when Vanilla Ice's "To the Extreme" came out), plus the bad economy.

2005 was kind of like 1989 in some ways, with Hurricane Katrina/Exxon Valdez and the earthquake in Pakistan.  I guess if you really want to stretch it you could compare the subway riot to Tianamen Square.  Still though I think it was more like 1985.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 3:34 pm

It was similar to both 1985 and 1989, in some ways. This year is SO much more mundane so far, most of the turmoil is political-internal, with a probable recession and the illegal immigration conflict.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/10/06 at 8:43 pm

2005 was kind of like 1989 in some ways, with Hurricane Katrina/Exxon Valdez and the earthquake in Pakistan.  I guess if you really want to stretch it you could compare the subway riot to Tianamen Square.  Still though I think it was more like 1985.

2005 reminded me a lot of 1989. The S.F. earthquake was like the Hurricane Katrina of '89. Also, Batman (the one with Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson as Joker, and Kim Basinger) came out in the summer of '89, while Batman Begins came out in the summer of '05. Other 2005 movies were also similar to 1989 films. Crash was a movie about racism and different people in L.A. interacting over a 2-day period, while Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" had a similar concept, only it was a hot summer day in Brooklyn. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy kind of reminded me of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure with how it was an adventure/comedy using strange phenomenons, only with British humor instead of the SoCal culture. For video game technology, The Nintendo Gameboy and Sega Genesis came out in '89, and the PSP and XBox 360 came out in '05. The style of music were similar as well, with a blend of rap and r&b. That's why I would say 2005 was a lot more like 1989 than 1985. 

Written By: Apricot on 04/10/06 at 8:50 pm

I'm apparently in the whopping 100% majority of "it's okay".

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/11/06 at 4:41 pm

Yeah, it hasn't been too bad so far but 05 was better for me.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/12/06 at 6:59 am

Not bad. I'll give you that. Not what I'd consider the "best year ever!".

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/12/06 at 9:03 am

Seems like a mediocre year so far. Not spectacularly good, nor spectacularly bad.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 11:06 am

As far as pop culture goes, I don't expect anything big to happen until The Da Vinci Code movie comes out next month.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 11:37 am

As far as pop culture goes, I don't expect anything big to happen until The Da Vinci Code movie comes out next month.

But can it conquer the summit of Brokeback Mountain?

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/12/06 at 11:14 pm

Seems like a mediocre year so far. Not spectacularly good, nor spectacularly bad.

"Sucks less than 2005, but we've got 8 months to go!"

Written By: chaka on 04/22/06 at 9:58 am

Seems better than 2005.
for me,the good thing about this year are the new albums by Mudhoney (if you remember them), Pearl Jam (2nd May) and even Audioslave.
Another good piece of news: Alice In Chains are back again for a few concerts in Europe including the Rock Am Ring festival in Germany where I'm gonna see them.
So right now I can't complain!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/06 at 12:58 am

There's some really crazy, scary sh!t going down...but at least it's not boring!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...