inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teen-pop trend resurgence

Written By: tidav on 04/10/06 at 9:18 pm

As it was the case in the late 80's (nkotb,debbie gibson,kylie minogue..) and late 90's (backstreet boys, nsync, britney..) , do you think that late 00's will saw a ressurgence of prefabricated teen pop bands and pop princesses ?

Subject: Re: Teen-pop trend resurgence

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:29 pm

No.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 9:34 pm

I really hope not, but I think yes.  Probably around 2010 is when it will peak or start happening, because the glam rap will fall out of style.

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/10/06 at 10:45 pm

Deborah Gibson was never teen pop, she's just pop  ;) Same for Kylie. They were no different than Bangles, Paula Abdul, and early Madonna except they were teenagers.

Anwser your question, I would also say no.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/10/06 at 11:46 pm

Maybe. I would say no but there's no way you can be 100% sure. Plus I could easily see it happening.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 11:58 pm

Well the first wave of Gen Z kids will start coming of age in the early 2010s, so maybe we'll see a resurgence of "lighter" music because of that.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/06 at 9:57 am

Not anytime soon.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 12:25 pm

I don't think Gen Z has as much numerical "cred" as Gen Y did as 11-year olds. I doubt it...maybe more teen pop stars but not that super-bubblegummy late '90s style tweeny pop.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 12:48 pm

I don't think Gen Z has as much numerical "cred" as Gen Y did as 11-year olds. I doubt it...maybe more teen pop stars but not that super-bubblegummy late '90s style tweeny pop.

Again, the reason I'm skeptical of considering 1995ers Gen Z.  They like the same music as the younger Gen Yers, as of now.  As opposed to in 1997, when Gen Y music fueled by 1985ers popped out of nowhere.  The line between Y and Z is sharp enough that when the real first-wave Zers come of age we'll know it.  I hope this doesn't equate to a new wave of teen pop.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 2:35 pm

Again, the reason I'm skeptical of considering 1995ers Gen Z.  They like the same music as the younger Gen Yers, as of now.  As opposed to in 1997, when Gen Y music fueled by 1985ers popped out of nowhere.   The line between Y and Z is sharp enough that when the real first-wave Zers come of age we'll know it.  I hope this doesn't equate to a new wave of teen pop.  ;D

But also, the 1965ers liked 1976 music and became Xers.

Written By: lizjagger on 04/11/06 at 2:42 pm

God, I hope not.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 2:43 pm

But also, the 1965ers liked 1976 music and became Xers.

Yeah, but they weren't the prime force behind any late '70s musical movement.  The boy bands/teen were fueled by people born in the '80s and very early '90s.  They were a very obvious sign for a generational shift, even for a generation that's almost like an emo answer to Gen X.  When the real Gen Zers get out of diapers, the change will be a lot more noticeable.  Even the Disney stuff I associate more with tail-end Y than Gen Z.

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/11/06 at 6:14 pm

I think pop is dying out and when it's gone it will stay gone.  I mean N Sync is gone and the backstreet boys tried to make a comeback, which in my opinion that failed miserably, and i don't think they'll try again.  I think the future bands and singers will make music that the public likes which isn't really pop anymore.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 6:20 pm

I think pop is dying out and when it's gone it will stay gone.  I mean N Sync is gone and the backstreet boys tried to make a comeback, which in my opinion that failed miserably, and i don't think they'll try again.  I think the future bands and singers will make music that the public likes which isn't really pop anymore.

Teen pop, that is. Pop has been around since the '20s, for God's sake.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/06 at 6:21 pm

Teen pop artists are still around, just not much going on in the Billboard Charts.  In the UK though, there are a few ...

Sugababes, Rachel Stevens, Girls Aloud

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/11/06 at 7:14 pm

Even the Disney stuff I associate more with tail-end Y than Gen Z.

Yeah, the Disney stuff is more late Gen Y(1994-1996).

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 12:11 pm

As it was the case in the late 80's (nkotb,debbie gibson,kylie minogue..) and late 90's (backstreet boys, nsync, britney..) , do you think that late 00's will saw a ressurgence of prefabricated teen pop bands and pop princesses ?

I really hope not. The sheer number of boybands created in the late '90s was actually frightening to behold. Everybody remembers 'N Sync and Backstreet Boys because they led the pack, but there were just loads of them spawning like flies all over the world... I don't even remember most of them anymore, as they've all sort of fizzled and died out. Will that happen again? I don't think it will for a while... we all got pretty burned out on boybands. As for pop princesses, I'm actually still waiting for them to  go away, but they seem to be firmly entrenched in '00s popular culture.

Though to be honest, I actually prefer teen-pop to most of the really puerile rap music that's popular now. I hated boybands at the time, but no boyband was ever responsible for something as execrable as "My Humps" or "Grillz."

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:15 pm

Thank God we weren't really afflicted by the whole teen-pop phenomena down here (apart from American bands). The closest we came from Human Nature.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:18 pm

I really hope not. The sheer number of boybands created in the late '90s was actually frightening to behold. Everybody remembers 'N Sync and Backstreet Boys because they led the pack, but there were just loads of them spawning like flies all over the world... I don't even remember most of them anymore, as they've all sort of fizzled and died out. Will that happen again? I don't think it will for a while... we all got pretty burned out on boybands. As for pop princesses, I'm actually still waiting for them to  go away, but they seem to be firmly entrenched in '00s popular culture.

Though to be honest, I actually prefer teen-pop to most of the really puerile rap music that's popular now. I hated boybands at the time, but no boyband was ever responsible for something as execrable as "My Humps" or "Grillz."

The pop princesses are a rather interesting case.  I don't count R&B artists as "teen pop", even if that's basically what they are, because people tend to take them somewhat more seriously than your obvious puppy or princess band.  Beyonce and Ciara don't count.  Avril Lavigne probably doesn't count.  Jessica/Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff, Christina Aguilera, etc. do count, even if their existence sometimes depends on going whore/glam rap.

However, the "pop princess" trend certainly isn't as prevalent in the mid '00s as it was in the late '90s and very early '00s.  For one thing, there were "girl bands" too.  Of course there's the obvious Spice Girls (although I'd almost call them more '90s dance), but there's also Dream, B*Witched, etc.  Plus, whatever happened to Mandy Moore, or Jennifer Lopez's music?  

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:22 pm

However, the "pop princess" trend certainly isn't as prevalent in the mid '00s as it was in the late '90s and very early '00s.  For one thing, there were "girl bands" too.  Of course there's the obvious Spice Girls (although I'd almost call them more '90s dance), but there's also Dream, B*Witched, etc.  Plus, whatever happened to Mandy Moore, or Jennifer Lopez's music?  

The pop princesses are just hold-overs from when teen pop was big in the late 90's and early 00's(save of course for the Disney pop stars that made it big). Somehow they stayed popular when the boy bands couldn't.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 12:24 pm

The pop princesses are a rather interesting case.  I don't count R&B artists as "teen pop", even if that's basically what they are, because people tend to take them somewhat more seriously than your obvious puppy or princess band.  Beyonce and Ciara don't count.  Avril Lavigne probably doesn't count.  Jessica/Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff, Christina Aguilera, etc. do count, even if their existence sometimes depends on going whore/glam rap.

Bringing back bad memories...the girl bands are one of the more forgotten elements of the teen pop explosion.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:25 pm

The pop princesses are a rather interesting case.  I don't count R&B artists as "teen pop", even if that's basically what they are, because people tend to take them somewhat more seriously than your obvious puppy or princess band.  Beyonce and Ciara don't count.  Avril Lavigne probably doesn't count.  Jessica/Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff, Christina Aguilera, etc. do count, even if their existence sometimes depends on going whore/glam rap.

However, the "pop princess" trend certainly isn't as prevalent in the mid '00s as it was in the late '90s and very early '00s.  For one thing, there were "girl bands" too.  Of course there's the obvious Spice Girls (although I'd almost call them more '90s dance), but there's also Dream, B*Witched, etc.  Plus, whatever happened to Mandy Moore, or Jennifer Lopez's music? 

It's technically incorrect to call them 'boy bands' and 'girl bands' as I understand a 'band' by definition includes people playing instruments.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:38 pm

It's technically incorrect to call them 'boy bands' and 'girl bands' as I understand a 'band' by definition includes people playing instruments.

Ironic isn't it? ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:39 pm

I think "orgies" is a better term.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:43 pm

I think "orgies" is a better term.  ;D

;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 2:33 pm

Singing orgies, that is.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:36 pm

Singing orgies, that is.

;D

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/12/06 at 3:08 pm

Yeah, the Disney stuff is more late Gen Y(1994-1996).

There's going to be a "High School Musical II", though by that time the fans have already grew out of it and the cast will be on "E! True Hollywood Story" like Lohan, Spears, etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 4:30 pm

There's going to be a "High School Musical II", though by that time the fans have already grew out of it and the cast will be on "E! True Hollywood Story" like Lohan, Spears, etc.

Yeah, in '07.  ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 5:32 pm

Will '06 or '07 be the year '00s culture gets unbearably stupid, in your opinion? I think it'll be like the 06-07 and 07-08 school years.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 6:18 pm

Will '06 or '07 be the year '00s culture gets unbearably stupid, in your opinion? I think it'll be like the 06-07 and 07-08 school years.

Summer of 2006-Spring '08

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 6:33 pm

You mean it hasn't all ready?  :o  ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 6:46 pm

;D

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 6:51 pm

I sincerely hope that "My Humps" remains the nadir of popular culture for a long time to come.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 7:11 pm

Summer of 2006-Spring '08

Probably 2007-early 2008.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/12/06 at 7:21 pm

I remember one time I was browsing on another message board and found a topic on boy bands.  Everyone talked about how much they sucked and how they were thankfully gone.  One guy then remarked "The boy bands never left.  They just picked up guitars."  When you think about it, there is actually some truth in that statement.  How else would Simple Plan have gotten popular with 12 year olds?

Speaking of which, anyone notice Teen Pop's main audience doesn't actually seem to be teens?  Back when the boy bands were around, I remember their biggest fans were actually 11 year old girls in elementary school.  It seems like Pre-Teen girls tend to like Teen Pop more than actual teens.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 7:26 pm

Speaking of which, anyone notice Teen Pop's main audience doesn't actually seem to be teens?  Back when the boy bands were around, I remember their biggest fans were actually 11 year old girls in elementary school.  It seems like Pre-Teen girls tend to like Teen Pop more than actual teens.

Teen pop also seems to have one of the smallest age margians between the artist and fans. The average teen pop star is about 16-18 and the average fan is roughly 11-14. That's only about a 4 year difference.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 7:34 pm

I think it's called "Teen Pop" because it's made by teens.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:13 pm

I remember one time I was browsing on another message board and found a topic on boy bands.  Everyone talked about how much they sucked and how they were thankfully gone.  One guy then remarked "The boy bands never left.  They just picked up guitars."  When you think about it, there is actually some truth in that statement.  How else would Simple Plan have gotten popular with 12 year olds?

Yeah...Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan are really just boy bands with guitars. The oldest main audience for the teen pop is like 14, and the youngest is like 9 to get really into it, with a peak around 11 or 12.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:27 pm

Yeah...Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan are really just boy bands with guitars. The oldest main audience for the teen pop is like 14, and the youngest is like 9 to get really into it, with a peak around 11 or 12.

"A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me"  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...