inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons Do NOT Suck

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/11/06 at 12:36 am

People say this all the time, and I tire of it.  Do they even watch the same show I do?

Now, I will admit, there was a period from about 1999 to  2003 or so where they were "off" for a bit, but the last year the show has firmly been on track. Especially the 2005-2006 season, they've had some REALLY funny ones lately. 

I find these people who down the Simpsosn all the time when I ask them if they actually watch it currently, they don't.  I think some of you need to give them a chance.  Shows CAN recover from slumps, you know.  Especially ones like The Simpsons.

Subject: Re: The Simpsons Do NOT Suck

Written By: jackas on 04/11/06 at 12:42 am

EXCUSE ME??

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/11/06 at 12:45 am

lol ^ what?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/11/06 at 12:47 am

I still like The Simpsons.

Best show on TV at the moment (of course that doesn't say much...)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 12:50 am

I'm sure it's still funny, but 16 years is too long for any show.

Written By: jackas on 04/11/06 at 12:54 am

lol ^ what?

I don't know.....just thought I'd say it. :P ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/11/06 at 12:58 am

I don't agree but thats okay

I don't know.....just thought I'd say it. :P ;D

Okay ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/11/06 at 5:14 am

They are getting a bit tired. And what frustrates me most is they use the same old jokes. The use of irony and parody for instance. If you're listening Matt, it's not funny anymore (well, a little bit funny). Now they're trying to carry the show along with real novelty ideas...there's a sort of superficiality wholly representative of the times. 90s Simpsons and 00s Simpsons are actually very different; as different as Ren and Stimpy and Family Guy. Although I wouldn't want to hear the Simpsons go off the air, I can't wait for them to go out on a high note and make a movie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/11/06 at 8:11 am

I agree. The Simpsons is a '90s pop culture phenomenon and, I'd say, is still anchored to the '90 - '95 zeitgeist. It's hard to explain, but even if they keep the jokes sharp and fresh, it will always remind us of the Simpsons-mania in the first half of the '90s, which it will never recover. So The Simpsons is one of the best TV shows ever, but all good things must come to an end. I wouldn't say The Simpsons jumped the shark yet (though some people say so), but if it hangs around long enough it inevitably will. I say they should quit while they're still ahead!

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 9:35 am

I used to watch when others would have it on and it's an okay show but it's never been something I'd actually watch regularly. I don't attempt to put it down or anything but that doesn't mean I have to be a fan of the show.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/06 at 9:56 am

I still like the show alot.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 12:36 pm

I agree. The Simpsons is a '90s pop culture phenomenon and, I'd say, is still anchored to the '90 - '95 zeitgeist. It's hard to explain, but even if they keep the jokes sharp and fresh, it will always remind us of the Simpsons-mania in the first half of the '90s, which it will never recover. So The Simpsons is one of the best TV shows ever, but all good things must come to an end. I wouldn't say The Simpsons jumped the shark yet (though some people say so), but if it hangs around long enough it inevitably will. I say they should quit while they're still ahead!

Yeah. Though OFF will have had just as much "time" in the '00s as the '90s, it's still a '90s show. Its period as a cultural phenomenon from like late 1991-early 1997 tracks the progression of the '90s. When it was a cultural phenomenon, the '90s was great. It's sort of still just rolling along because FOX won't let it go, it being the highest-rated show still, even if its nowhere near what it used to be on the Nielsens. It's very tied to the 1989-1997 period, and it had started getting off track and losing the zeitgeist of culture by 1998 or so, when culture started moving away from commentary/seriousness and towards absurdity. I'm of the camp that Family Guy and South Park killed The Simpsons in the 1998-2001 period. They stole younger viewers by being less moralistic and having a real "message" and being far zanier and more offensive, while The Simpsons is still sort of stuck in an updated '90s thing. It's not something the 1986-1990 Y camp talks about anymore as being hip. It's too moral. OFF is not something that is watched as widely anymore or appreciated as widely as it was in the pre-1998 period, even the pre-2001 period, in fact. OFF represents the difference between the '90s and the '00s. One was cynical, somewhat absurd, and hilarious, while remaining thoughtful. The later period has been attempting to catch the more "'00s" absurdity and excess. But it's, as MaxwellSmart said, still STUCK to the '90s and almost 20 years is too long for any show. I like to think of it as having ended around 1998.

I was watching my DVD of Season 7 yesterday. There are like three episodes that make me cry while making me laugh uproariously, "Home Sweet Homediddly Dum Doodily", "Scenes from The Class Struggle in Springfield", and "Marge Be Not Proud." That's more than I can say of the fairly tired OFF now (while admittedly better than 2001 for example)...or "Family Guy" or "South Park."

I agree OFF has definitely improved since say 2003, from the episodes I've caught, and it's more satirical. But it's so painful for me to watch it because it just isn't as good as it once was. Groening and the writers originally wanted to cancel it in 1997 or 1998, but FOX wouldn't let them.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/06 at 1:11 pm

The Simpsons have been making me laugh for 19 years, and it's still one of the best shows on TV today. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 1:21 pm

Yeah. Though OFF will have had just as much "time" in the '00s as the '90s, it's still a '90s show. Its period as a cultural phenomenon from like late 1991-early 1997 tracks the progression of the '90s. When it was a cultural phenomenon, the '90s was great. It's sort of still just rolling along because FOX won't let it go, it being the highest-rated show still, even if its nowhere near what it used to be on the Nielsens. It's very tied to the 1989-1997 period, and it had started getting off track and losing the zeitgeist of culture by 1998 or so, when culture started moving away from commentary/seriousness and towards absurdity. I'm of the camp that Family Guy and South Park killed The Simpsons in the 1998-2001 period. They stole younger viewers by being less moralistic and having a real "message" and being far zanier and more offensive, while The Simpsons is still sort of stuck in an updated '90s thing. It's not something the 1986-1990 Y camp talks about anymore as being hip. It's too moral. OFF is not something that is watched as widely anymore or appreciated as widely as it was in the pre-1998 period, even the pre-2001 period, in fact. OFF represents the difference between the '90s and the '00s. One was cynical, somewhat absurd, and hilarious, while remaining thoughtful. The later period has been attempting to catch the more "'00s" absurdity and excess. But it's, as MaxwellSmart said, still STUCK to the '90s and almost 20 years is too long for any show. I like to think of it as having ended around 1998.

I was watching my DVD of Season 7 yesterday. There are like three episodes that make me cry while making me laugh uproariously, "Home Sweet Homediddly Dum Doodily", "Scenes from The Class Struggle in Springfield", and "Marge Be Not Proud." That's more than I can say of the fairly tired OFF now (while admittedly better than 2001 for example)...or "Family Guy" or "South Park."

I agree OFF has definitely improved since say 2003, from the episodes I've caught, and it's more satirical. But it's so painful for me to watch it because it just isn't as good as it once was. Groening and the writers originally wanted to cancel it in 1997 or 1998, but FOX wouldn't let them.

The Simpsons is proof that the '00s are so lame they feel they must continue '90s trends.

Written By: Marian on 04/11/06 at 1:50 pm

I know.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 2:32 pm

The Simpsons is proof that the '00s are so lame they feel they must continue '90s trends.

The '00s has continued most sheeshty '90s trends, and removed most of the good ones, or emasculated them like they did to The Simpsons .

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 2:34 pm

The '00s has continued most sheeshty '90s trends, and removed most of the good ones, or emasculated them like they did to The Simpsons .

Exactly.  Grunge, hipsters, and gore is here to stay, VHS tapes, good Disney movies, and old Nick are gone.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 2:36 pm

Exactly.  Grunge, hipsters, and gore is here to stay, VHS tapes, good Disney movies, and old Nick are gone.

Let me put it this way: grunge is here to stay in terms of influence on mainstream rock for the rest of the '00s, but all the better alt rock isn't.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 2:43 pm

Let me put it this way: grunge is here to stay in terms of influence on mainstream rock for the rest of the '00s, but all the better alt rock isn't.

I agree.  Little new wave or post-punk influence is present in modern rock, with some exceptions like The Killers.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/11/06 at 4:09 pm

People say this all the time, and I tire of it.  Do they even watch the same show I do?

Now, I will admit, there was a period from about 1999 to  2003 or so where they were "off" for a bit, but the last year the show has firmly been on track. Especially the 2005-2006 season, they've had some REALLY funny ones lately. 

I find these people who down the Simpsosn all the time when I ask them if they actually watch it currently, they don't.  I think some of you need to give them a chance.  Shows CAN recover from slumps, you know.  Especially ones like The Simpsons.

sorry, i can never give simpsons a chance. every episode that i've ever seen has just been loud and obnoxious. also, it was created by the same guy (matt groening) that made futurama. i love futurama. i'm obsessed with futurama. i just can't stand that a show made by the same guy who made futurama can last 10+ seasons when futurama lasted for only 4.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 4:49 pm

I agree.  Little new wave or post-punk influence is present in modern rock, with some exceptions like The Killers.

I think the current alt rock/emo scene is largely heavily influenced by post-punk and new wave, though. You somewhat underestimate its influence on the rock that is currently popular.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 5:39 pm

I think the current alt rock/emo scene is largely heavily influenced by post-punk and new wave, though. You somewhat underestimate its influence on the rock that is currently popular.

Post-punk and new wave definitely influence emo and indie.  It's the rock radio stuff that's basically stuck in 1995.

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, it's a good show.. it's not for everyone, though.. some people... it's just not to their liking.

Indeed, there was a lengthy slump, but they're back now, and I enjoy it.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 11:46 am

I totally agree. I think around the time of the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" double-episode The Simpsons was at its peak in popularity. At least, that episode in particular caused a real genuine buzz of speculation amongst many kids my age (I remember being intensely curious myself). Even more generally, though, it just seemed like everybody in the mid-'90s was bringing up specific quotes from the show in conversation; in fact, I think I've probably heard The Simpsons quoted or discussed more than any other show, even if it doesn't happen as often anymore.

I wonder if many kids realize today just how much of a phenomenon The Simpsons used to be.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 12:26 pm

I totally agree. I think around the time of the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" double-episode The Simpsons was at its peak in popularity. At least, that episode in particular caused a real genuine buzz of speculation amongst many kids my age (I remember being intensely curious myself). Even more generally, though, it just seemed like everybody in the mid-'90s was bringing up specific quotes from the show in conversation; in fact, I think I've probably heard The Simpsons quoted or discussed more than any other show, even if it doesn't happen as often anymore.

I wonder if many kids realize today just how much of a phenomenon The Simpsons used to be.

So when did the phenomenon end? Like 2001-2002? I remember being in elementary school c. 2000 and it was still a beloved pop cultural phenomenon that was constantly quoted and referenced to. But people don't bring it up as much as they did...

I agree Simpsons-mania peaked 1994-1996.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:41 pm

So when did the phenomenon end? Like 2001-2002? I remember being in elementary school c. 2000 and it was still a beloved pop cultural phenomenon that was constantly quoted and referenced to. But people don't bring it up as much as they did...

I agree Simpsons-mania peaked 1994-1996.

Yeah I'd say 2001-2002.  It was still big in 2000.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 1:48 pm

The good thing about the Simpsons is that it's as much 'owned' by late GenX as it is by us. So there's a common point of reference when communicating. You can just refer to the Simpsons to illustrate your point.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 2:24 pm

The Simpsons: another thing tieing X and Y.

Written By: Apricot on 04/12/06 at 2:36 pm

One of the only I know of, really.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:37 pm

Definitely. In fact, the entire 1990s decade ties to two kindreds together, at least those born from the '70s to the early '90s.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 3:35 pm

Post-punk and new wave definitely influence emo and indie.  It's the rock radio stuff that's basically stuck in 1995.

Except that I find the rock radio stuff of today more bland than the sort of "post-grunge" rock from the '90s. I think a '90s hit song like "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe, for instance, is proof that being post-grunge doesn't mean you need to have inane lyrics and suck as bad as Nickelback; but that's from 1997, and I can only assume it would not be as successful today because it's not boring enough.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 4:31 pm

Except that I find the rock radio stuff of today more bland than the sort of "post-grunge" rock from the '90s. I think a '90s hit song like "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe, for instance, is proof that being post-grunge doesn't mean you need to have inane lyrics and suck as bad as Nickelback; but that's from 1997, and I can only assume it would not be as successful today because it's not boring enough.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The post-grunge of the mid and late 1990s is at least better than that of the '00s.  Honestly I think it's because there's no more rock fans, you're either into rap, emo, or have a "different" taste like oldies or indie.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 5:32 pm

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The post-grunge of the mid and late 1990s is at least better than that of the '00s.  Honestly I think it's because there's no more rock fans, you're either into rap, emo, or have a "different" taste like oldies or indie.

Yeah, stuff like Alanis Morisette and what's on the first two NOW compilations, and stuff like Garbage, is pretty good.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 6:21 pm

Yeah, stuff like Alanis Morisette and what's on the first two NOW compilations, and stuff like Garbage, is pretty good.

I've heard Morissette is good.  I kind of like Goo Goo Dolls.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 6:59 pm

I've heard Morissette is good.  I kind of like Goo Goo Dolls.

You almost made me feel old for a second there. ;) It's kind of hard to do, since I'm not actually old at all.

There were at least five singles from Jagged Little Pill, I think, and they were all played on video channels and radio all the time in '95-'96. Huge album... I think it went 16x platinum in the US. It was actually the first album I purchased for myself, though I haven't listened to it in ages.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 7:37 pm

You almost made me feel old for a second there. ;) It's kind of hard to do, since I'm not actually old at all.

There were at least five singles from Jagged Little Pill, I think, and they were all played on video channels and radio all the time in '95-'96. Huge album... I think it went 16x platinum in the US. It was actually the first album I purchased for myself, though I haven't listened to it in ages.

16x????

I definitely don't see Morissette as old music, since her rip-offs are still hot artists, but I don't remember the Jagged Little Pill fuss, because I was only 5 ;)

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 8:02 pm

16x????

I definitely don't see Morissette as old music, since her rip-offs are still hot artists, but I don't remember the Jagged Little Pill fuss, because I was only 5 ;)

Well, this is stolen from Wikipedia:

"Jagged Little Pill was Canadian singer/songwriter Alanis Morissette's third album, released on June 13, 1995 (see 1995 in music). Morissette's confessional lyrics and emotional vocals helped Jagged Little Pill dominate the year's sound in music. It spawned six massively successful hit singles:

'You Oughta Know'
'Hand In My Pocket'
'All I Really Want'
'Ironic'
'You Learn'
'Head Over Feet'

Jagged Little Pill won Grammy Awards for Best Rock Album and Album of the Year. The record has sold 28 million copies worldwide (up to January 2006). Selling 13,542,393 copies by 1999 in the United States, it is the second best-selling album by a female solo artist of the Nielsen SoundScan era, behind only Shania Twain's Come on Over."

I also looked at its Billboard chart trajectory. It started at 117 but got into the top 10 on its sixth week and remained there for 69 weeks straight, fell off for a bit and then popped back into the top 10 for another 3 weeks. It has currently gone platinum 16 times in the US, as a I thought -- making it easily one of the biggest-selling albums of the '90s. :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:11 pm

I own the tape and was very into it c. 1999.

Written By: Apricot on 04/12/06 at 8:15 pm

Wow, all those came from one album? I can see why I made such a fuss then.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:16 pm

Alanis Morisette peaked with her debut in that persona (she was previously a Canadienne teen-pop star)...and has never fully recovered since. And anyway, she's so '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:36 pm

Kind of getting off topic here... :-X

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 8:44 pm

Kind of getting off topic here... :-X

Well, a few of us have agreed that both The Simpsons and Alanis Morissette peaked around 1995... so it's connected. Sort of. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...