inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Panic! At The Disco

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 5:44 pm

Has anyone ever seen the video for "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"? It's like the most emo thing ever: there's MIMES in it!  :o

Subject: Re: Panic! At The Disco

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/11/06 at 5:45 pm

Yea I've seen it a few times, very emo, lol.

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/11/06 at 5:56 pm

I love the video and the song, they're so awesome.  I'm actually going to go see them in concert june 6th, it's gonna be fun :)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 6:04 pm

I like one of their songs ("London Beckoned Songs About Money Written By Machines"), but the rest are very okay for me - don't much like or dislike them. Will listen if they're on but won't seek them out. The video for "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" looks like theatre gone wrong.

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 6:25 pm

Panic at the Disco (F--k the exclamation point, it doesn't make sense at all) is... okay. I have maybe 2 of their songs ("There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered, Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet." and "Build God, Then We'll Talk") that I enjoy.. otherwise, it's just a mediocre band. They have EMO vocals, and I don't like that.

Furthermore, why is every song title a complete sentence? F--k that, only Atom and His Package have ever pulled that off.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 6:27 pm

Panic at the Disco (F--k the exclamation point, it doesn't make sense at all) is... okay. I have maybe 2 of their songs ("There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered, Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet." and "Build God, Then We'll Talk") that I enjoy.. otherwise, it's just a mediocre band. They have EMO vocals, and I don't like that.

Furthermore, why is every song title a complete sentence? F--k that, only Atom and His Package have ever pulled that off.

That is a VERY emo thing...anybody who gives the title of a song a full sentence is emo (Bright Eyes, etc.) Or an overly long phrase.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 6:29 pm

That is a VERY emo thing...anybody who gives the title of a song a full sentence is emo (Bright Eyes, etc.) Or an overly long phrase.

"I Don't Know What You've Got But It's Got Me" is a song title by Little Richard... was he a forefather of emo? ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 6:30 pm

"I Don't Know What You've Got But It's Got Me" is a song title by Little Richard... was he a forefather of emo? ;)

;)

I do think that's an indie rock/emo sort of thing to do, making long song titles.  For instance "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me".

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 6:32 pm

It's a PRETENTIOUS indie rock/emo thing to do. So is ridiculously long or gratuitously weird (without being catchy) band names.

And yes, Little Richard is the forefather of emo...I have to photoshop a collage of Little Richard with a hangdog expression and a striped mop of black hair.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 6:32 pm

It's a PRETENTIOUS indie rock/emo thing to do. So is ridiculously long or gratuitously weird (without being catchy) band names.

And yes, Little Richard is the forefather of emo...I have to photoshop a collage of Little Richard with a hangdog expression and a striped mop of black hair.

I know ... it's cheesy.

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 6:36 pm

I don't know... Atom and His Package is anything but EMO.. the closest thing he has to an EMO song is a love song he wrote to a stuffed octopus (which is actually, musically, a really good song).. it's just that he has songtitles like "I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer.", "The Palestinians are not the same thing as the Rebel Alliance, Jackass." and "An Acronym for After-School Special Is A.S.S."

I think it's not the fact it's a sentence, but the content of the sentence.. nobody can say "An Acronym for After-School Special is A.S.S." is EMO, but "Lieing is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" is reaaaaaaaally EMO.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 6:37 pm

I don't know... Atom and His Package is anything but EMO.. the closest thing he has to an EMO song is a love song he wrote to a stuffed octopus (which is actually, musically, a really good song).. it's just that he has songtitles like "I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer.", "The Palestinians are not the same thing as the Rebel Alliance, Jackass." and "An Acronym for After-School Special Is A.S.S."

I think it's not the fact it's a sentence, but the content of the sentence.. nobody can say "An Acronym for After-School Special is A.S.S." is EMO, but "Lieing is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" is reaaaaaaaally EMO.

EMO is kind of an abstract term, like new wave, cheesy, or punk is.  It's something that something either is or not, based on if it feels like it is or not.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 6:40 pm

Yeah, I agree.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 6:42 pm

Sorry, but I'm having too much fun thinking of long song titles that are decidedly not emo... emo bands out there, here're the tunes you need to remake in your style!

-"Jeremiah Peabody's Poly Unsaturated Quick Dissolving Fast Acting Pleasant Tasting Green And Purple Pills" by Ray Stevens
-"I've Been Carrying a Torch For You So Long That I Burned a Great Big Hole in My Heart" by Nino Tempo and April Stevens
-"You Can Make Me Dance, Sing, or Anything (Even Take The Dog For A Walk, Mend A Fuse, Fold Away The Ironing Board, Or Any Other Domestic Short Comings)" by Faces
-"Life During Wartime (This Ain't No Party...This Ain't No Disco...This Ain't No Foolin' Around)" by Talking Heads

Let's see... not incredibly long, but sizable titles and complete sentences...

*"You Can't Always Get What You Want" by The Rolling Stones
*"You've Never Been This Far Before" by Conway Twitty
*"It's Not the End of Everything" by Tommy Edwards
*"(If You Let Me Make Love to You) Why Can't I Touch You?" by Ronnie Dyson
*"Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
*"I Don't Ever Want to See You Again" by Uncle Sam
*"Can't You See That She's Mine?" by Dave Clark Five
*"So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star" by The Byrds
*"If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me" by The Bellamy Brothers

Okay, there's my interruption for the thread. Now back to your regularly scheduled intellectual discourse...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 7:03 pm

Sorry, but I'm having too much fun thinking of long song titles that are decidedly not emo... emo bands out there, here're the tunes you need to remake in your style!

-"Jeremiah Peabody's Poly Unsaturated Quick Dissolving Fast Acting Pleasant Tasting Green And Purple Pills" by Ray Stevens
-"I've Been Carrying a Torch For You So Long That I Burned a Great Big Hole in My Heart" by Nino Tempo and April Stevens
-"You Can Make Me Dance, Sing, or Anything (Even Take The Dog For A Walk, Mend A Fuse, Fold Away The Ironing Board, Or Any Other Domestic Short Comings)" by Faces
-"Life During Wartime (This Ain't No Party...This Ain't No Disco...This Ain't No Foolin' Around)" by Talking Heads

Let's see... not incredibly long, but sizable titles and complete sentences...

*"You Can't Always Get What You Want" by The Rolling Stones
*"You've Never Been This Far Before" by Conway Twitty
*"It's Not the End of Everything" by Tommy Edwards
*"(If You Let Me Make Love to You) Why Can't I Touch You?" by Ronnie Dyson
*"Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
*"I Don't Ever Want to See You Again" by Uncle Sam
*"Can't You See That She's Mine?" by Dave Clark Five
*"So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star" by The Byrds
*"If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me" by The Bellamy Brothers

Okay, there's my interruption for the thread. Now back to your regularly scheduled intellectual discourse...

Long titles are also a '60s head scene and prog rock thing. Anything vaguely pretentious indulges in long titles, it seems. But most of the long titles you mentioned are not emo...improper grammar (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) and "So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star" are not emo.

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 7:08 pm

Long titles are also a '60s head scene and prog rock thing. Anything vaguely pretentious indulges in long titles, it seems. But most of the long titles you mentioned are not emo...improper grammar (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) and "So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star" are not emo.

You're really tossing around the EMO label, aren't ya?

Don't confuse EMO (effeminate pop punk, pretentious Indie Rock) with emotional... otherwise, every person on the planet is EMO.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 7:15 pm

You're really tossing around the EMO label, aren't ya?

Don't confuse EMO (effeminate pop punk, pretentious Indie Rock) with emotional... otherwise, every person on the planet is EMO.

Emo=whiny.
Emotional=standard.

I'm sick and tired of people confusing the two. Sorry if I came off as doing that.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 7:22 pm

Um, dude, I really think trying to associate long titles with a genre just doesn't work. If you look at my list (and I already said none of those are emo)...

Ray Stevens - um, a novelty tune
Nino and April - 60's pop
Faces - 60's pop-rock sort, I guess
Talking Heads - stylize them however you like, this tune's 1979
Stones - whatever it is, it gets frequent "classic rock" airplay
Twitty - country
Edwards - sorta traditional pop
Dyson - early 70's pop
Petty - "classic rock"
Uncle Sam - 90's R&B
DC5 - 60's British Invasion
Byrds - 60's folk-pop-rock-sorta thing I suppose
Bellamy Brothers - country, this one pop-tinged

Perhaps you can say that a particular genre has more than its fair share of long titles could work, but saying long titles will come from genre x or y really really doesn't.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 7:26 pm

Um, dude, I really think trying to associate long titles with a genre just doesn't work. If you look at my list (and I already said none of those are emo)...

Ray Stevens - um, a novelty tune
Nino and April - 60's pop
Faces - 60's pop-rock sort, I guess
Talking Heads - stylize them however you like, this tune's 1979
Stones - whatever it is, it gets frequent "classic rock" airplay
Twitty - country
Edwards - sorta traditional pop
Dyson - early 70's pop
Petty - "classic rock"
Uncle Sam - 90's R&B
DC5 - 60's British Invasion
Byrds - 60's folk-pop-rock-sorta thing I suppose
Bellamy Brothers - country, this one pop-tinged

Perhaps you can say that a particular genre has more than its fair share of long titles could work, but saying long titles will come from genre x or y really really doesn't.

Yeah, I like how you put that. But most RECENT records with long titles are emo.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/11/06 at 7:30 pm

Has anyone ever seen the video for "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"? It's like the most emo thing ever: there's MIMES in it!  :o

Yeah, that's a rather strange video. And yeah alot of emo artists do have really strange band names and rather lengthy song titles.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/11/06 at 7:36 pm

Tony I think you're a little too overly concerned about whether or not music is pretentious, you should just enjoy it. IF ya don't, ya dont', if you do you do.  But this obsessive thing over whether or not certin music is pretentious, is, ironically, in itself a bit pretentious. ;D

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 7:39 pm

Tony I think you're a little too overly concerned about whether or not music is pretentious, you should just enjoy it. IF ya don't, ya dont', if you do you do.  But this obsessive thing over whether or not certin music is pretentious, is, ironically, in itself a bit pretentious. ;D

PWNED.

Written By: Darkbreed on 04/11/06 at 8:39 pm

OK Panic at the disco
1) band name- what dose it mean
2) sounds like fll out boy
3) emo
4) what maybe a 5 note band
is this what "punk" is  comming to?

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 8:40 pm

Yeah, the vocal sounds a LOT like Fall-Out Boy.. that's the one thing that bugs me most.

They're not punk.. they're just... blah.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 6:08 am

Isn't it like the top-selling rock album currently?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/12/06 at 6:36 am

Isn't it like the top-selling rock album currently?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I can offer these statistics from the last Billboard 200...

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out by Panic! At The Disco was at position #24 (currently its peak). These albums were ahead of it that could conceivably be called rock:

5. Educated Horses by Rob Zombie
9. A Death-Grip on Yesterday by Atreyu
11. Show Your Bones by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
17. All the Right Reasons by Nickelback
18. Curious George (Soundtrack) by Jack Johnson
20. Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson

Hedged my bets as to what's rock for the sake of presenting all possibilities, so strike the ones you think don't fit.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 12:28 pm

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I can offer these statistics from the last Billboard 200...

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out by Panic! At The Disco was at position #24 (currently its peak). These albums were ahead of it that could conceivably be called rock:

5. Educated Horses by Rob Zombie
9. A Death-Grip on Yesterday by Atreyu
11. Show Your Bones by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
17. All the Right Reasons by Nickelback
18. Curious George (Soundtrack) by Jack Johnson
20. Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson

Hedged my bets as to what's rock for the sake of presenting all possibilities, so strike the ones you think don't fit.

...you like contradicting me, right? I do know I was wrong, though. I don't think Jack Johnson counts.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/12/06 at 12:40 pm

...you like contradicting me, right? I do know I was wrong, though. I don't think Jack Johnson counts.

Dude, you asked a question. I was giving information. I wouldn't have even bothered to look otherwise. And, as I said, I'm not sure what you mean, so you could have had some specific criteria in mind that would have made you correct.

And really... I rarely post in most of the decade discuss this categorize that threads... and I agreed with you in your early Tori thread... I agreed in the Carole King thread... I only look at the ones about things that remotely interest me... so no, I don't get any special pleasure from contradicting you.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 2:25 pm

Dude, you asked a question. I was giving information. I wouldn't have even bothered to look otherwise. And, as I said, I'm not sure what you mean, so you could have had some specific criteria in mind that would have made you correct.

And really... I rarely post in most of the decade discuss this categorize that threads... and I agreed with you in your early Tori thread... I agreed in the Carole King thread... I only look at the ones about things that remotely interest me... so no, I don't get any special pleasure from contradicting you.

Sorry. I'm sort of in a crappy mood today.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/12/06 at 7:26 pm

Panic at the Disco (I refuse to use the !) is an example of the commercialized Emo that I knew would come out.  They're not really Emo, they're more like Fall Out Boy.  That is, they're just a Pop-Rock band with some Emo influences.  They're too happy to be true Emo.

Written By: Apricot on 04/12/06 at 8:12 pm

Panic at the Disco (I refuse to use the !) is an example of the commercialized Emo that I knew would come out.  They're not really Emo, they're more like Fall Out Boy.  That is, they're just a Pop-Rock band with some Emo influences.  They're too happy to be true Emo.

True EMO (Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes) is never 100% sad.. they're usually overtly upset or whiny.. not entirely miserable.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:15 pm

The same is my opinion of Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and Fall Out Boy. They're pop-punk a la Blink 182 with HEAVY emo influences, not real "hipster" emo like Bright Eyes or Death Cab for Cutie, as Tubeway General mentioned.

Written By: Apricot on 04/12/06 at 8:16 pm

The same is my opinion of Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and Fall Out Boy. They're pop-punk a la Blink 182 with HEAVY emo influences, not real "hipster" emo like Bright Eyes or Death Cab for Cutie, as Tubeway General mentioned.

Essentially, there's no pure EMO. There's Indie EMO (Bright Eyes, Death Cab For Cutie, Cat Power), Punk EMO (Simple Plan, Good Charlotte), Hard Punk EMO (Atreyu), and Rock EMO (Fall-Out Boy, Panic at the Disco).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:16 pm

True EMO (Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes) is never 100% sad.. they're usually overtly upset or whiny.. not entirely miserable.

I think Death Cab's earlier stuff is emo-ish (i.e. The New Year), but Plans isn't very emo; it's more straight, Built to Spill/Shins new wave indie rock.  I guess What Sarah Said is kind of emo.  Brand New are extremely emoish.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:17 pm

Essentially, there's no pure EMO. There's Indie EMO (Bright Eyes, Death Cab For Cutie, Cat Power), Punk EMO (Simple Plan, Good Charlotte), Hard Punk EMO (Atreyu), and Rock EMO (Fall-Out Boy, Panic at the Disco).

Emo isn't really a single genre of music, it's more a lump term for music that the emo subculture likes. And to be honest, emo is really just pussifyed Goth.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:18 pm

I think the indie emo is the most deplorable because it takes itself more seriously than the others seem too. So, do you think emo grew out of the late '90s goth trend? Alot of people in my school who loved goth c. 2001 turned emo c. 2004.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:21 pm

I think the indie emo is the most deplorable because it takes itself more seriously than the others seem too. So, do you think emo grew out of the late '90s goth trend? Alot of people in my school who loved goth c. 2001 turned emo c. 2004.

I actually kind of like Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, although I don't get the fuss.  The indie emo is awful, how could people think they're smart for listening to that stuff?  Although I am a big Death Cab fan.

Written By: Apricot on 04/12/06 at 8:21 pm

I actually kind of like Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, although I don't get the fuss.  The indie emo is awful, how could people think they're smart for listening to that stuff?  Although I am a big Death Cab fan.

They don't think they're smart BECAUSE they listen to it, they think they're smart and thus all smart people should listen to similar.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:22 pm

They don't think they're smart BECAUSE they listen to it, they think they're smart and thus all smart people should listen to similar.

Good point.

Written By: Apricot on 04/12/06 at 8:23 pm

Emo isn't really a single genre of music, it's more a lump term for music that the emo subculture likes. And to be honest, emo is really just pussifyed Goth.

No.. Punk is pussifyed Goth. EMO is for people who decided Punk was too hard. And Screamo was for people who decided Punk was too pleasant to listen to.

Indie EMO is actually just a weak version of Daniel Johnston or Black Heart Procession.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:24 pm

No.. Punk is pussifyed Goth. EMO is for people who decided Punk was too hard. And Screamo was for people who decided Punk was too pleasant to listen to.

Indie EMO is actually just a weak version of Daniel Johnston or Black Heart Procession.

Would you say emo is a new wave spinoff (that is, commercialized punk)?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:24 pm

Good point.

Yeah, good point.

My issue with indie rock currently isn't necessarily the music. Much of it is pretentious and indeed overrated for all the fuss it gets, and alot of the people can't sing and it's blindly imitative in cases and overly cerebral, but many of the people who listen to it and get into it (the more vocal ones, especially) are just so snooty and hipster-ish and think all smart people MUST listen to this music and that everybody must care.

The music is just ordinary and at times annoying and pretentious. It's the culture around it that I despise.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/13/06 at 7:54 pm

You know, I might hate myself for saying it, but I rather like that Panic! At the Disco song. The video has got to be one of the campiest things I've seen in years. It's just so wonderfully over-the-top and stupid that I can't help being very entertained by it, and at least the song is catchy. :) I just enjoy it as camp, though, as a sort of guilty pleasure. ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/13/06 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, good point.

My issue with indie rock currently isn't necessarily the music. Much of it is pretentious and indeed overrated for all the fuss it gets, and alot of the people can't sing and it's blindly imitative in cases and overly cerebral, but many of the people who listen to it and get into it (the more vocal ones, especially) are just so snooty and hipster-ish and think all smart people MUST listen to this music and that everybody must care.

The music is just ordinary and at times annoying and pretentious. It's the culture around it that I despise.

The culture that has grown up around it has grown that way much in reaction to the mainstream music scene.  Mainstream music to me has been so brainless and bland the last few years that its sort of natural to go the opposite direction and want intellectualism in music.  Now the whiney type stuff like Fallout Boy and My Chemical Romance I have no interest in but not indie rock is like that by a long shot. And don't say "well most" because I don't think its even most.  I'd say its pretty mixed between emo and other styles like prog.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/13/06 at 10:09 pm

You know, I might hate myself for saying it, but I rather like that Panic! At the Disco song. The video has got to be one of the campiest things I've seen in years. It's just so wonderfully over-the-top and stupid that I can't help being very entertained by it, and at least the song is catchy. :) I just enjoy it as camp, though, as a sort of guilty pleasure. ;)

I agree. It's super cheesy,  I like it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 7:17 am

Well, you are an '80s synthpop fan... ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/06 at 7:22 am

Panic at the Disco must be a Smiths reference. A lot of Emo bands make references to The Smiths.  Of course, the key difference is the Smiths was a great band, most Emo bands eat it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 7:25 am

Panic at the Disco must be a Smiths reference. A lot of Emo bands make references to The Smiths.  Of course, the key difference is the Smiths was a great band, most Emo bands eat it.

Yes, it is a Smiths reference. It really irritates me how emo bands, cheap imitators of the Smiths and the Cure, make references to these bands constantly and just end up whiny.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 11:14 am

I like "Walking With A Ghost" by Tegan and Sarah. :( ;D

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/14/06 at 2:37 pm

Yeah. Morrissey's "whining" always sounds somewhat knowingly indulgent, a bit ironic, and cheeky, and Johnny Marr really knew how to craft excellent pop songs out of guitar and drums.

Plus, I love The Smiths because I think a lot of their music (think of a song like "The Queen Is Dead," for example) evokes the zeitgeist of 1980s Britain under Margaret Thatcher. Those were agonizing, confrontational, depressing, but fateful times for Britain... I just don't know if social context makes emo seem similarly relevant though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 5:15 pm

Yeah. Morrissey's "whining" always sounds somewhat knowingly indulgent, a bit ironic, and cheeky, and Johnny Marr really knew how to craft excellent pop songs out of guitar and drums.

Plus, I love The Smiths because I think a lot of their music (think of a song like "The Queen Is Dead," for example) evokes the zeitgeist of 1980s Britain under Margaret Thatcher. Those were agonizing, confrontational, depressing, but fateful times for Britain... I just don't know if social context makes emo seem similarly relevant though.

The difference between emo now and the Smiths/Cure then for Britain is that emo is so insularly centered and material seeming, and of lower quality. It's mostly referenced by white upper middle-class teenagers, for God's sakes. Social context could make it relevant if it were better and the audience it pandered to was different.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 5:31 pm

Well, you are an '80s synthpop fan... ;)

Yup  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...