inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Regionalism in Music

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 10:37 pm

Is there still alot of regionalism in US music? I get the sense that there is, to some extent. For example, I think emo and indie rock are probably biggest currently in NYC and its suburbs (including North Jersey) and the Northeast as a whole, since that's the heartland of the music. Obviously, country is bigger in the south and mountain regions, and metal tends to be bigger in smaller industrial cities and semi-rural areas. I always got the sense nu metal was biggest outside of the big cities or in white blue-collar areas of the big cities. Rap is obviously bigger in the south and big cities, and dance music is pretty popular in Detroit and Chicago, and parts of the west coast.

There's also that some music remains popular longer in certain areas. Like hair metal and '80s music didn't experience as big a popularity lapse in Jersey as it did elsewhere.

Subject: Re: Regionalism in Music

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:00 am

An interesting topic, one I've never thought much about. Certainly, with today's super-globalised world, regional identity (all aspects) are gradually being eroded away. Don't know much about the current US music scene, but from what I gather;

L.A. and New York are still where most mainstream music comes from - since they are of course, still the main recording and distribution centres for pop music.
Nashville is still the centre of country music, and country and Southern obvious go together.
Rap/R'n'B don't really seem constrained by geography.
San Francisco and Boston iseem like major centres of Indie rock and avant-garde and progressive styles.
I would think dance music would be most popular in the larger, more cosmopolitan cities.

Other than that, I don't think there is much musical regionalism in the United States. Perhaps in places like rural Kentucky, West Virginia, the Appalachians, The Deep South (Especially among more established ethnic enclaves, the Cajun along the Gulf coast).etc blue-grass may still hold a strong following.

So in conclusion, I think (only my perception) the most musically rich areas are still the centres of culture like San Francisco, New York, Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago, Atlanta.etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:26 am

An interesting topic, one I've never thought much about. Certainly, with today's super-globalised world, regional identity (all aspects) are gradually being eroded away. Don't know much about the current US music scene, but from what I gather;

L.A. and New York are still where most mainstream music comes from - since they are of course, still the main recording and distribution centres for pop music.
Nashville is still the centre of country music, and country and Southern obvious go together.
Rap/R'n'B don't really seem constrained by geography.
San Francisco and Boston iseem like major centres of Indie rock and avant-garde and progressive styles.
I would think dance music would be most popular in the larger, more cosmopolitan cities.

Other than that, I don't think there is much musical regionalism in the United States. Perhaps in places like rural Kentucky, West Virginia, the Appalachians, The Deep South (Especially among more established ethnic enclaves, the Cajun along the Gulf coast).etc blue-grass may still hold a strong following.

So in conclusion, I think (only my perception) the most musically rich areas are still the centres of culture like San Francisco, New York, Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago, Atlanta.etc.

I think it's a misperception that regional identity is gradually being eroded away by globalization...in some cases, regional identity becomes stronger due to "enhanced regional pride" from a certain region being able to give itself more attention, etc., and as a reaction. Like, apparently, US accents are only becoming stronger.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:29 am

I think it's a misperception that regional identity is gradually being eroded away by globalization...in some cases, regional identity becomes stronger due to "enhanced regional pride" from a certain region being able to give itself more attention, etc., and as a reaction. Like, apparently, US accents are only becoming stronger.

Yes, regional pride is something just emerging...some would call it a post-modern concept...and I'd be well relieved to see regional accents getting stronger, though from what I hear, more and more young people are speaking in the 'Standard American' accent - particularly in areas where regional accents are strong.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:32 am

Yes, regional pride is something just emerging...some would call it a post-modern concept...and I'd be well relieved to see regional accents getting stronger, though from what I hear, more and more young people are speaking in the 'Standard American' accent - particularly in areas where regional accents are strong.

That's not true at all, both statistically and in my experience. People are flaunting their accents more and more.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:34 am

That's not true at all, both statistically and in my experience. People are flaunting their accents more and more.

But I still sense there is a stigma attached to people who speak in a very strong Southern accent. There's still that 'white-trash, country bumpkin, hillybilly, redneck' stereotyle, which unfortunately seems to be pushed with such shows as Jerry Springer  ;D.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:37 am

But I still sense there is a stigma attached to people who speak in a very strong Southern accent. There's still that 'white-trash, country bumpkin, hillybilly, redneck' stereotyle, which unfortunately seems to be pushed with such shows as Jerry Springer  ;D.

Alot of them seem to be proud of it, though...it's more of a southern "hick" accent that has that stigma, like if you've seen Cletus on the Simpsons, for example.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:41 am

Alot of them seem to be proud of it, though...it's more of a southern "hick" accent that has that stigma, like if you've seen Cletus on the Simpsons, for example.

But on Jerry Springer, when they show Southerners they are almost inevitably overweight, live in trailer parks.etc. who seem to have nothing better to do than have affairs with close relatives/family members. Is this mis-representation??

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/16/06 at 10:43 am

But on Jerry Springer, when they show Southerners they are almost inevitably overweight, live in trailer parks.etc. who seem to have nothing better to do than have affairs with close relatives/family members. Is this mis-representation??

I would say it is. I've been down south several times and it's not like that. North Carolina for example is a very nice state.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:52 am

I would say it is. I've been down south several times and it's not like that. North Carolina for example is a very nice state.

Maybe working class Southerners are the new 'non-whites'...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 11:03 am

Maybe working class Southerners are the new 'non-whites'...

I think class is mattering increasingly more than race in society.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 11:15 am

I think class is mattering increasingly more than race in society.

The problem is, the two are often inseperable. I know the media had something to do with it, but look at Hurricane Katrina...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/16/06 at 11:43 am

You must be of super elite breeding huh Trimac20?? but you know - I doubt that very much somehow.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 12:05 pm

You must be of super elite breeding huh Trimac20?? but you know - I doubt that very much somehow.

Think you're taking my point completely the wrong way. I was criticising Jerry Springer for stereotyping a certain group...What did you think i meant???

Written By: Buckinghammm on 04/16/06 at 10:41 pm

My, my, do I spy with my little eye... a FLAME coming from the lady that said this?

Read your pm - if you don't stop posting threads deliberately intended to wind people up - I'll report you.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/17/06 at 12:52 am

My, my, do I spy with my little eye... a FLAME coming from the lady that said this?

It's more than a little flame. It's a whole furnace...but let's not dwell on that.

Check for new replies or respond here...