inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Will Replace Rap as Urban Music?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 10:39 pm

I'm thinking that rap will be replaced as mainstream urban music, alot of fellow posters probably agree with this. It will probably go underground c. 2010 and be big as "alt rap" from 2012-2014, but I'm thinking something else will either replace it as "urban mainstream" music or most urban music of the 2010s will be underground. I think it's quite possible some beatbox music, as Chris MegatronTHX referred to it, and "freestyle" like Jodi Wattley or even soul, funk, and disco will be revived, along with late '80s/early '90s hip-hop pop and R&B.

Subject: Re: What Will Replace Rap as Urban Music?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/15/06 at 11:08 pm

I agree. I think there will be an "alt hip hop" revolution around 2011/'12-2014, and then rap in general will become "alternative".  Then either rock will dominate again (late Yers seem to love classic rock) or there won't be a dominating genre.

Written By: lizjagger on 04/15/06 at 11:40 pm

trip hop,broken beat, or nu jazz, neo-soul. Most of these are in the electronic music genre.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:02 am

I agree. I think there will be an "alt hip hop" revolution around 2011/'12-2014, and then rap in general will become "alternative".  Then either rock will dominate again (late Yers seem to love classic rock) or there won't be a dominating genre.

'Alt-hip hop' is a burgeoing trend (I hesitate to use the word 'fad') here in Australia. Australian hip-hop seems extremely divisive/polarising; you either love it, or hate it. Apart from a few examples, I lean closer to the 'hate' side. I think the urban sound will actually become less electronic and artificial, grittier and more rock-orientated. A new, distinctly 'urban' sort of post-modernistic rock genre will emerged in the vein of the Strokes.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:18 am

I think that all these late Yers who seem to love classic rock is sort of an omen of Z, who will probably love it even more.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:22 am

I think that all these late Yers who seem to love classic rock is sort of an omen of Z, who will probably love it even more.

Which will be, to an extent, a good thing.

When did the backlash to Classic Rock really begin? The 70s with the prog-rock movement? Or New-Wave or even Grunge?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:24 am

Which will be, to an extent, a good thing.

When did the backlash to Classic Rock really begin? The 70s with the prog-rock movement? Or New-Wave or even Grunge?

"Prog rock" IS classic rock, at this point...stuff like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, anyway. It began c. 1979 with new wave, probably. Classic rock at this point I think is anything from like the British Invasion until new wave started.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:26 am

I've always considered Classic Rock the pre-synthesizer era (or at least before synthesizers became prominent)...albums like Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' which was synth-heavy were at the cross-roads. That's the definition that works best for me.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:28 am

I've always considered Classic Rock the pre-synthesizer era (or at least before synthesizers became prominent)...albums like Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' which was synth-heavy were at the cross-roads. That's the definition that works best for me.

I think, though, the public's definition of classic rock is roughly 1964-1979.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:31 am

I think, though, the public's definition of classic rock is roughly 1964-1979.

Yeah, I gues it's a pretty varied 'genre.' Usually classic rock is simply referred to as 'Rock'. Classic rock is used to differentiate it from 'Modern Rock' or true 'Rock 'n' Roll.'

Check for new replies or respond here...