inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Order in which things date the most quickly?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/15/06 at 11:12 pm

I'd would say, in order of having the least to most staying power, it goes slang, music, fashion, television, movies, and than literature.  As for what dates the most embarrasingly over time, I'd say slang, followed closely by fashion.

Subject: Re: Order in which things date the most quickly?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:06 am

Fashion...that's a tricky one. For some people, the latest style is anything within the last month or week (literally), for others it may be years. Not everyone agrees when fashion becomes out of date. Say late 80s/early 90s fashion. Some things are obvious; thin-leg denim shorts/short shorts and fluro shirts probably became dated by 95 if not earlier, but something like a tank top has never really dated.

I don't quite agree with slang...I think about 70% of the slang used today was just as popular 10-15-20 years ago...

The others seem pretty alright. Movies and TV mainly date because the fashions, slang.etc of old shows date, the concepts (love, overcoming difficulty) and themes, of course, never really change.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:22 am

I think fashion actually dates more embarassingly than slang over time. For example, even among people who love '80s music, most of the fashion still seems pretty ridiculous (anyway, the really extreme-styled '80s stuff.) Television varies...I think some television dates better than others, it depends on how "faddish" it is. Like '70s TV has dated about five times better than most '80s TV. The only '80s TV to have real rerun power is Cheers, The Cosby Show, Full House. And '90s TV has dated astonishingly well, actually.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 10:25 am

You forgot technology...

In the past 25 years technology (mainly consumer electronics) had dated very quickly. Both in design and function.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/16/06 at 11:23 am

I would say technology, followed by music, and fashion.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/16/06 at 5:32 pm

Music and fashion definitely tend to date extremely quickly.  That's why, whenever we look at previous decades, the first thing that usually comes to mind is either music or fashion.  Why else would music and fashion make up half (or more) of the discussion topics of previous decades?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/16/06 at 5:36 pm

Technology, especially computer technology, changes almost overnight. And number two would be entertainment/celebrities. Some actor or actress might be hot today, but boring by next week...same with singers/bands.

Check for new replies or respond here...