inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Revenge Of The Nerds- 2006

Written By: Carl on 04/17/06 at 7:56 am

I see yet another remake is coming out! I couldn't find too much info. as to who will be in this new one, but if they want to introduce the younger crowd to this movie, why don't they just re-release the original in theatres?? They did that with Star Wars and E.T., I think it would be a much better idea.

Subject: Re: Revenge Of The Nerds- 2006

Written By: whistledog on 04/17/06 at 6:38 pm

Adam Brody (of The O.C.) will be in it, and it's being co-produced by McG, the director of both Charlie's Angels movies. 

You never know, it could be a good remake, but it won't ever compare to the original

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 04/17/06 at 9:29 pm

Revenge of the Nerds won't translate well into the 21th century.  Revenge of the nerds captured the whole essence of the 80s with the great music, the care free attitudes, the great one liners, the classic fraternities vs nerds feud, etc. It won't translate well in this generation at all. The nerds will probably be played by models in the new one. No studio has enough guts to actually cast real geeks in the geek roles like they did in the original. Did you see She's all that? They put overalls and glasses on a hot girl and suddenly she was the geek of the school. I just can't imagine a movie pure 80s translating into this generation. Maybe i'm wrong.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/17/06 at 10:22 pm

Revenge of the Nerds won't translate well into the 21th century.  Revenge of the nerds captured the whole essence of the 80s with the great music, the care free attitudes, the great one liners, the classic fraternities vs nerds feud, etc. It won't translate well in this generation at all.

"Got a date with my modem line - backdoor valentine,
Internet jet set, my credit card's in debt!
My U.R.L. - has gone all to hell
H.T.T.P. - I

Written By: Carl on 04/18/06 at 9:04 am

I'm sure the new film will have a cameo by a cast member of the original as well, I'll almost gaurantee it.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/18/06 at 3:00 pm

Not yet another remake of a good movie. Revenge of the Nerds isn't even that old. Christ, already...

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/18/06 at 3:15 pm

Not yet another remake of a good movie. Revenge of the Nerds isn't even that old. Christ, already...

Its over 20 years old, actually..

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/18/06 at 3:39 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/18/06 at 3:42 pm

Which I don't consider to be all that old. The history of cinema extends back a lot farther than the 1980s.

No sh!t, I'm a movie lover myself and I like a lot of black n whites.  But once something is around 15 years old or so its out of the current cultural context, and thusly, should be considered open to a re-make.  In my opinion its the cultural landscape in which a film was released changing that makes the time ripe for a re-make.  What else can you add to the theme and story? Not much- alot of the reason for a re-make is tell that story within the context of "today".  And the early 80s definitely is not what I'd call current times.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/06 at 6:48 pm

I wonder who they will cast in the role of Booger ???

Written By: Carl on 04/19/06 at 7:37 am

Its over 20 years old, actually..

Yeah, 22 years old now to be exact. Man! Where does the time go?

I wonder who they will cast in the role of Booger

Hmmm! Jack Black? LOL!!!  :D Though he may be too old for that.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/19/06 at 8:05 am

Hmmm! Jack Black? LOL!!!  :D Though he may be too old for that.

LOL!! That is EXACTLY who I thought of :D

But yeah hes a little old for it now..

Maybe they just need to do a general casting call and get a bunch of unknowns who fit the parts..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/06 at 9:28 am

Why can't a good movie just stand as a good movie? "Revenge of the Nerds" came out in 1984. It was hilarious! I mean, it wasn't Oscar material, but it was about as good as "Animal House" (I'm gonna get grief for saying that!). Now, even the Vatican of bad taste, the National Lampoon, did not push for "Animal House" sequels. Thank God, because every other movie that came out under the NatLamp imprimatur has been tooootallly stupid. Anyway, they made a ROTN sequel in '87, "Nerds in Paradise." Bad enough, but then they went on to make two more lame-o ROTN sequels. Anthony Edwards didn't want anything to do with them, can't blame him.
So now they want to remake ROTN...
Hey Hollywood, how about coming up with, like, completely NEW ideas for completely NEW films.  Oh, but that would involve the only four-letter word Hollywood doojbags don't like to use--W-O-R-K!
I mean, they figure if they can rake it in with the public buying tickets for the "Dukes of Hazzard" movie, and the ROTN remake, they can just set out by the pool and snort coke all day! Which would you rather do--WORK or sit around the pool with sum nekkid bimbos and toot blow!
8)

Written By: Carl on 04/19/06 at 10:10 am

Why can't a good movie just stand as a good movie? "Revenge of the Nerds" came out in 1984. It was hilarious! I mean, it wasn't Oscar material, but it was about as good as "Animal House"

Some called it the 'Animal House of the 80s' and I agree. I also concur that a good movie should just stay that, let it remain in it's rightful spot in film history and not ruin it with a remake, which hardly ever does well.

As far as casting unknowns, well, it would be a good idea, but highly unlikely these days.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/19/06 at 10:41 am

the remakes and sequels need to stop!!!! there is absolutely no need for a new version of this movie!!  leave the classics alone.  a 20 year old movie is not old enough to be remade.  what's next?  oh, how about a remake of "Wedding Crashers"!!!  It's almost 6 months old, they can do that.  ::)

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/19/06 at 6:53 pm

I suppose I would be more amenable to the idea of remakes if there weren't so many of them -- they're being made in record numbers now -- and if they weren't so overwhelmingly awful. But the sheer number of them and their general lack of quality suggests to me that they're not made primarily out of respect for the source material; most just seem like cynical exercises in exploiting their source and their audience (much of which is probably unaware that they're even watching a remake) to generate profit for only minimal creative effort. The oversaturation of the market by countless of these pale imitations in the past few years has rendered the very mention of a "remake" odious to me -- hence my complete lack of enthusiasm for this one of Revenge of the Nerds. I'm tired of hearing about well-done, well-loved old movies being offered up like sacrificial lambs at the altar of the almighty dollar by a bunch of Hollywood hacks.

Check for new replies or respond here...