inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Jackson to record new album

Written By: Zoso on 04/19/06 at 6:45 am

Michael Jackson to record new album
Wednesday Apr 19 05:40 AEST
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=68556

Michael Jackson, seeking to revive his singing career after his acquittal on sex-abuse charges, has teamed up with a label in Bahrain to record a new album set for release next year.

A statement released on behalf of Two Seas Records said British music industry executive Guy Holmes had been named CEO of a newly formed joint venture between Jackson and Bahrain royal family member Abdulla Hamad Al-Khalifa.

Holmes, who now plans to divide his time between London and Bahrain, will oversee the making of Jackson's first studio album since Invincible in 2001, and also manage the star's business interests, the statement added.

"I am incredibly excited about my new venture, and I am enjoying being back in the studio making music," Jackson said in the statement.

The 47-year-old singer, one of the top-selling pop stars of all time, now lives in the Gulf state of Bahrain.

Holmes is chairman of London-based independent label Gut Records.

Calls to Gut Records seeking more information about the deal with Jackson were referred back to the public relations agency that issued that statement, which in turn declined to make any further comment.

Jackson's US spokeswoman, Raymone Bain, said she was not aware of a joint venture between Jackson and Al-Khalifa but said Two Seas had previously been chosen by the star to release his Hurricane Katrina charity single.

News of Jackson's latest deal comes days after the singer announced he had reached agreement with creditors to refinance some $US270 million ($A366.6 million) in loans secured by his prized stake in the Beatles' song catalogue.

Part of the deal calls for Sony Corp, which jointly owns publishing rights to more than 200 Beatles songs with Jackson, to buy another 25 per cent of the catalogue, or half of Jackson's stake. The entire catalogue is valued at about $US1 billion ($A1.36 billion).

Jackson's trial on sex abuse charges last year shed new light on the nature of his finances, including prosecution testimony that Jackson had borrowed heavily against his assets to support years of extravagant spending.

He was acquitted by a jury last June of all charges stemming from accusations made by a teenage boy that he had been molested by Jackson at his Neverland Valley Ranch in central California.

But his career as an entertainer and recording artist has been left in shambles.

The fate of the new album will be closely watched by the record industry after Invincible, Jackson's previous comeback bid, registered disappointing US sales of around two million copies.

Jackson's Thriller remains one of the bestselling studio albums of all time with over 26 million US copies sold.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/logo_aap.jpg

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson to record new album

Written By: Zoso on 04/19/06 at 6:47 am

I don't know about you guys, but I am excited about this news. It's about time Michael Jackson made another album. I will be very interested to see how this turns out. I wish him the best of luck.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/19/06 at 10:52 am

i'm kinda excited about this, i have to admit.  as weird and freakish looking as michael has gotten over the years, he is still a talented musician. maybe i'm just nostalgic about "thriller" days, when he was still borderline normal.    even up to his "Dangerous" album, he was still not completely transitioned from a black man to a white woman.  i don't know if he'll ever have another hit, though.  i think his days as a performer are over... and it's sad because it didn't need to turn out this way for him.  it's all about the choices you make, and he decided to make himself an outcast.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/19/06 at 12:25 pm

It will sell three million copies for curiosity's sake in the US...I think the sales might be boosted by the sex abuse trial, in all actuality.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/19/06 at 4:30 pm

If Michael Jackson has any semblance of a mind left, he would wish he shot his pink out in 1987.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/19/06 at 4:43 pm

hide the kids and the pancake mix

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/19/06 at 5:00 pm

hide the kids and the pancake mix

;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/19/06 at 5:06 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I am excited about this news. It's about time Michael Jackson made another album. I will be very interested to see how this turns out. I wish him the best of luck.

Yeah my sentiments aswell - wonder if he will ever return to form?

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/20/06 at 10:53 am

i'm kinda excited about this, i have to admit.  as weird and freakish looking as michael has gotten over the years, he is still a talented musician. maybe i'm just nostalgic about "thriller" days, when he was still borderline normal.    even up to his "Dangerous" album, he was still not completely transitioned from a black man to a white woman.  i don't know if he'll ever have another hit, though.  i think his days as a performer are over... and it's sad because it didn't need to turn out this way for him.  it's all about the choices you make, and he decided to make himself an outcast.

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO COMMENT ONTHE THINGS I SAY, GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/20/06 at 10:55 am

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO COMMENT ONTHE THINGS I SAY, GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. No need to shout Bill  ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/20/06 at 11:09 am

Bill...BILL!!  were did you go??

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/20/06 at 12:20 pm

ga ga goo goo

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/20/06 at 12:39 pm

ga ga goo goo

Well said, ickle Bill.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/20/06 at 12:50 pm

what's ickle, Mr. Fickle?    >:(

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/20/06 at 12:59 pm

what's ickle, Mr. Fickle?    >:(

In what way am I fickle, good Mr. Bill?

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/06 at 1:03 pm

BE QUIET!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/20/06 at 4:34 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Apricot on 04/20/06 at 8:02 pm

You figure eventually, he'd realize that he needs to stay out of the public eye...

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/06 at 10:19 pm

SSsshhhhhh

;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/21/06 at 6:48 am

In what way am I fickle, good Mr. Bill?

oh for shame.  shame shame.  everybody hates me.

:\'(

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/21/06 at 6:49 am

shame shame shasper shame

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 9:01 am

Please, kiddies, save this for the PPP...if not the cess-pool...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/21/06 at 10:49 am

oh for shame.  shame shame.  everybody hates me.

:\'(

"Ahh Shame Shame Shame...Shame ahh Shame on you - if you can't dance too!!"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/21/06 at 11:34 am

My response to the thread title:

WHY?!

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/21/06 at 7:29 pm

The last album only sold a couple thousand, and it tanked... Although I'm wondering what it will sound like... each one is a little different

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 3:23 pm

The last album only sold a couple thousand, and it tanked... Although I'm wondering what it will sound like... each one is a little different

A couple thousand? Not exactly Thriller  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...