inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will you buy HD Dvd?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/19/06 at 6:45 pm

I'll wait until it's cheaper.

Subject: Re: Will you buy HD Dvd?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/19/06 at 6:50 pm

I'm undecided. I'll probably get it when the price comes down though.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/19/06 at 7:17 pm

No because I don't have a TV with a HDMI input and with component it outputs 480p only (what a ripoff).

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 04/19/06 at 7:40 pm

For me, HD Dvd's aren't very important. I prefer regular Dvd's to anything, including the movies. Hi def DVD's don't have that grainy imperfect look DVD's have, they're too perfect.  Watching a movie like Pyscho, Texas Chainshaw Massacre, Night of the living dead, etc, on hi def would not be like watching it on dvd, the experience would be to clean and clear taking away the experience for me. I think for movies like Star Wars, Lord of the rings, Blade Runner, etc, I will upgrade to HD but for horror movies, especially low budget ones,  I will stick to DVD's for now. My friends getting one, I'll just use it at his house. It's not very important to me.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/06 at 7:42 pm

I don't have an HDTV, so I have no need for an HD DVD yet, but if I ever win the lottery, I will buy an HD DVD ASAP LOL

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/19/06 at 7:54 pm

Heck I don't even have a VCR.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/19/06 at 7:56 pm

When I finally get around to upgrading from a VCR to DVD... (HD DVD will be "old trash" by then)

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/20/06 at 10:44 am

I'm barely into DVDs- I don't even actually have a player, its just my laptop happens to play them.  I have like 15, lol.  So not every many..

No way I'm going to try to switch to HD-DVD right now.  And I think you have to have an HD-TV for it anyway.

Written By: annonymouse on 12/27/06 at 11:14 pm

nah you don't. but it helps. i just got the hd dvd add on for my 360. it came with king kong which i refuse to watch again. that movie is so slow. but guess what's coming out on hd dvd soon............

ROBOCOP!!!!!  man i love that movie!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/06 at 11:32 pm

I'll wait.

I'm sick of quality of content taking a back seat to media technology.  You're going to spend five grand for some gizmo so you can watch American Pie 2 and Coldplay videos in super HD?

Whatever happened to an actual screenplay with an interesting plot, character development, nuance, and some feelings?
::)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 11:39 pm

I was thinking of buying the xbox 360 add on, but I'm gonna wait until one of these formats is more widespread.

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/06 at 11:39 pm

I don't have an HDTV, so I have no need for an HD DVD yet, but if I ever win the lottery, I will buy an HD DVD ASAP LOL

I think I change my mind about this.  lol I don't see the point in HD anything.  DVD does me just fine.  I don't need top quality, just so long as it's not VHS, i'm happy

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/27/06 at 11:41 pm

Whatever happened to an actual screenplay with an interesting plot, character development, nuance, and some feelings?
::)

What does any of that have to do with whether or not you'll buy a DVD in HD? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/06 at 12:07 am

What does any of that have to do with whether or not you'll buy a DVD in HD? 

Indeed, a Bergman film is still a Bergman film whether it's on VHS or HD DVD.  I was just alluding to the tiresome emphasis on consumer entertainment technology when the content quality of all entertainment is brainless. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/28/06 at 1:36 am

I was thinking of buying the xbox 360 add on, but I'm gonna wait until one of these formats is more widespread.

That's the nice thing about the Xbox 360, they sat back and waited.  They also waited on the HDMI to see if it were really all that and a can of beans, and made the console more modular so that you don't end up with an expensively useless piece of crap.

Check for new replies or respond here...