inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1990'S MARIAH CAREY vs 2000'S MARIAH CAREY

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/20/06 at 7:40 pm

i love them both

Subject: Re: 1990'S MARIAH CAREY vs 2000'S MARIAH CAREY

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 1:17 am

As long as she keeps on wearing those revealing dresses / outfits, doesn't matter to me what decade she was best in :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/21/06 at 1:18 am

Definitely 90s Mariah. 

Music Box
Daydream
Butterfly

^
|
|
|
|

The best albums she's done so far, next to Emancipation.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/21/06 at 1:20 am

I still like her, but she was better in the '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/21/06 at 6:00 am

Yeah, her music was waaay better in the '90s, I have to say.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 8:59 am

Yeah, her music was waaay better in the '90s, I have to say.

I agree...though my opinion is gauged only from the few songs of hers I've actually heard...like 'Heartbreaker' and 'The One.'

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/21/06 at 11:29 am

I agree...though my opinion is gauged only from the few songs of hers I've actually heard...like 'Heartbreaker' and 'The One.'

One Sweet Day, Hero, Vision of Love are all very good.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/21/06 at 11:52 am

If I had to recommend 2 albums to someone, get #1s and Butterfly.  With those two, you can't go wrong.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/21/06 at 12:11 pm

One Sweet Day, Hero, Vision of Love are all very good.

Agreed.

Did you all like her single from last year 'We Belong Together'  Godddddd I loved it soo much I used to play it over and over and over again...and again  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/21/06 at 12:34 pm

Agreed.

Did you all like her single from last year 'We Belong Together'  Godddddd I loved it soo much I used to play it over and over and over again...and again  ;D

Ya it was one of my favorites from 2005.

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/21/06 at 6:17 pm

Fave Mariah songs from the '90's: "Without You" and "Honey"

Fave Mariah songs now: nothing I can think of

Though her voice is still decent and could tolerate than any pop act half her age

Written By: guest on 04/21/06 at 8:31 pm

why do people act like she is 'Older" shes only 36 and last time i saw a 36 year old they didnt look like they needed a walker

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/06 at 8:44 pm

why do people act like she is 'Older" shes only 36 and last time i saw a 36 year old they didnt look like they needed a walker

Are you sure that's her age, not her IQ?

1990s MARIAH CAREY: Make me wanna fwo up!

2000s MARIAH CAREY: Make me wanna fwo up!
:D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 10:44 pm

I don't like her new look though...I think she looked much hotter in the 90s (and not because she was younger).

Written By: MtOlivePickles on 04/24/06 at 8:07 pm

I prefer '90s Mariah.

The first time I truly remember having a "hey, I can relate to this song" reaction to music came while listening to Daydream's last track. I know it's cheesy, but everyone has that one singer/band that gets under their skin. I think her albums from Music Box through Butterfly are her best. I still haven't bought her latest one; not because I'm not still a fan, but because I just can't get as... into her music. "We Belong Together" just doesn't have the same feel that her earlier ballads do.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/25/06 at 2:49 pm

'90s Mariah.  She still has talent, but Mimi is really half-assed.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/25/06 at 3:12 pm

'90s Mariah.  She still has talent, but Mimi is really half-assed.

Have you even heard the album? 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/25/06 at 5:33 pm

Have you even heard the album? 

I've heard "We Belong Together" and "Shake it Off". To be fair, I haven't heard the entire album, but those two songs I really think are below Mariah's potential.  Compared to say "Vision of Love".

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/25/06 at 6:44 pm

its just a diffrent style songs in the way that she sings trust me ive heard her live and she can still belt out songs but she perfers not to and i dont blame her because over time it would have damage her vocal chords

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/25/06 at 7:06 pm

I don't think Mariah's '00s stuff has shown what she's capable of vocally, and that song "We Belong Together" is overly hip-hop influenced, repetitive, and doesn't show off her range. That style of "beautiful voice" vocal is very '90s and '00s music is focused on beat and not voice. She's almost as good vocally as Aretha Franklin.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 04/26/06 at 10:55 am

both are hot and cute 1990's and 2000's

Written By: Gil on 04/27/06 at 8:12 pm

I've heard "We Belong Together" and "Shake it Off". To be fair, I haven't heard the entire album, but those two songs I really think are below Mariah's potential.  Compared to say "Vision of Love".

She peaked with Vision of Love.  I remember when I first heard it, I would go into record stores (we had them then) and ask for it.  They would make a face and say "Mariah WHO?".  This is when way back when she had her own boobies.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/16 at 11:58 pm

She DOMINATED from 1990 to 2001. Then had a huge comeback with Emancipation of Mimi in 2005/2006. Her last album didn't do so hot. She's my second favorite singer, after Britney Spears. TEAM MARIAH!!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 6:38 am

I'll rather stick with Britney on this one, since I know that I'm not a big fan of this Mariah Carey.

Written By: TheKid99 on 07/28/16 at 8:48 am

1990s Mariah Carey by FAR.

She was insanely successful in the 1990s, had a #1 hit EVERY year of the 1990s, 1990-2000. She had her vocal peak in the mid 90s and could do almost anything with no effort. Her voice started going downhill in 1997-1998 but took a significant downtrend in 1999-2000 but by the time Charmbraclet rolled around her voice was back. Her voice was amazing and something I miss a lot.

She started off the 2000s in a hard place but she staged an absolutely amazing comeback with the Emancipation of Mimi, everyone thought her career was over, but it was not. I guess she may prefer this era as she was actually able to enjoy the success, and it was made on her own accord pretty much, what SHE wanted to make, not say Tommy Mottolla wanted to try and sell more albums.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/28/16 at 9:12 am

I'll rather stick with Britney on this one, since I know that I'm not a big fan of this Mariah Carey.

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/28/16 at 9:18 am

1990s Mariah Carey by FAR.

She was insanely successful in the 1990s, had a #1 hit EVERY year of the 1990s, 1990-2000. She had her vocal peak in the mid 90s and could do almost anything with no effort. Her voice started going downhill in 1997-1998 but took a significant downtrend in 1999-2000 but by the time Charmbraclet rolled around her voice was back. Her voice was amazing and something I miss a lot.

She started off the 2000s in a hard place but she staged an absolutely amazing comeback with the Emancipation of Mimi, everyone thought her career was over, but it was not. I guess she may prefer this era as she was actually able to enjoy the success, and it was made on her own accord pretty much, what SHE wanted to make, not say Tommy Mottolla wanted to try and sell more albums.

Not me, when you have a voice like hers, it's hard to lose your career, unless you murder someone, or something.

Her voice, I wonder why it kind of went down in 1998, or whatever.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 10:12 am

;D

I think it might have to deal with myself being more of a 2000s fan, whenever it comes to music. Especially with Britney Spears, since she did have a lot of hits in the '00s.

Written By: TheKid99 on 07/28/16 at 11:20 am

Not me, when you have a voice like hers, it's hard to lose your career, unless you murder someone, or something.

Her voice, I wonder why it kind of went down in 1998, or whatever.

I would probably guess her nodules started acting up a lot more than usual and had more bad days with them than good. And lack of vocal rest, which while she was able to get through that in the early to mid 90s by the time 1997 rolled around she had to start resting more but could not. She got ALOT of vocal rest after 1999 which(Except for Early to Mid 2001 when she was working tirelessly to try and promote her album which lead to her mental breakdown due to her only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night with no break) is why her Glitter soundtrack sounds so great, and by the time she embarked on her Charmbraclet tour and released that album her voice was back in tip top shape.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/28/16 at 11:53 am

I would probably guess her nodules started acting up a lot more than usual and had more bad days with them than good. And lack of vocal rest, which while she was able to get through that in the early to mid 90s by the time 1997 rolled around she had to start resting more but could not. She got ALOT of vocal rest after 1999 which(Except for Early to Mid 2001 when she was working tirelessly to try and promote her album which lead to her mental breakdown due to her only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night with no break) is why her Glitter soundtrack sounds so great, and by the time she embarked on her Charmbraclet tour and released that album her voice was back in tip top shape.

Sooner, or later, something would have ended her almost non-stop 1990's run. Even Madonna was feeling the threat in 1995. Glitter was that thing that ended an era in Mariah's career. I was too young to understand why she had her breakdown in 2001, now I get it more. She was exhausted, like you said. She also had to deal with Tommy Mattolla.

Written By: Ripley on 07/28/16 at 4:24 pm

;D

Me too! I've always been a fan of Britney. But in the 90's she pretty good. Daydream is a great album.

Written By: Ripley on 07/28/16 at 4:51 pm

I hate how she's all about showing her body now. I think she looked better pre-implants. Yeah I don't see anywhere its mentioned about them being done. But that girl has some big ones if you compare 2016 Mimi to 1996 Mariah. Also, I know this sounds weird but its like her forehead got bigger. She had some kind of surgery to pull her hairline back. She wears it up a lot so its easy to tell. It was late 2000's when this stuff started to occur. I realize that I shouldn't base things on her appearance and I'm not but all this plastic surgery is just too much. She's not the same. While she still has a good voice she doesn't hold notes as well as she used to. I don't like the music on most of her songs. Instead of the early 90's soft adult pop and mid 90's - early 00's r&b. It's now mostly with a hip-hop background. It may not make since to everyone on here but when rappers produce for and feature in songs, r&b sounds more hip-hip. I know she's had several rappers work with her. But JD (Jermaine Dupri) made her songs sound so great compared to The Neptune's. That's just one example. And even after she started to do the whole r&b/hip-hop sound her short 2005 comeback was due to getting back together with Jermaine. I actually liked the songs she made with Puff Daddy and "Breakdown" with Bone Thugs is one of my favorite songs of hers. But what I'm saying is I want r&b or pop to just be that, not have music that sounds like it's actually a Lil Wayne song etc. I'm not trying start a rap beef war lol but rap/hip-hop now is so repetitive and is not good. Where as back when Butterfly was released it was great.  Song lyric wise there are some good some bad. But her lyrics were so catchy in the 90's. Also, she was always so nice before. She started Camp Mariah too. Now I don't know how she treats her LAMBS but on American Idol and in interviews and such she seems to act like a real diva.

Written By: aja675 on 07/29/16 at 8:20 pm

That kinda happened to me because I forgot to breathe properly while singing.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/29/16 at 9:03 pm

I hate how she's all about showing her body now. I think she looked better pre-implants. Yeah I don't see anywhere its mentioned about them being done. But that girl has some big ones if you compare 2016 Mimi to 1996 Mariah. Also, I know this sounds weird but its like her forehead got bigger. She had some kind of surgery to pull her hairline back. She wears it up a lot so its easy to tell. It was late 2000's when this stuff started to occur. I realize that I shouldn't base things on her appearance and I'm not but all this plastic surgery is just too much. She's not the same. While she still has a good voice she doesn't hold notes as well as she used to. I don't like the music on most of her songs. Instead of the early 90's soft adult pop and mid 90's - early 00's r&b. It's now mostly with a hip-hop background. It may not make since to everyone on here but when rappers produce for and feature in songs, r&b sounds more hip-hip. I know she's had several rappers work with her. But JD (Jermaine Dupri) made her songs sound so great compared to The Neptune's. That's just one example. And even after she started to do the whole r&b/hip-hop sound her short 2005 comeback was due to getting back together with Jermaine. I actually liked the songs she made with Puff Daddy and "Breakdown" with Bone Thugs is one of my favorite songs of hers. But what I'm saying is I want r&b or pop to just be that, not have music that sounds like it's actually a Lil Wayne song etc. I'm not trying start a rap beef war lol but rap/hip-hop now is so repetitive and is not good. Where as back when Butterfly was released it was great.  Song lyric wise there are some good some bad. But her lyrics were so catchy in the 90's. Also, she was always so nice before. She started Camp Mariah too. Now I don't know how she treats her LAMBS but on American Idol and in interviews and such she seems to act like a real diva.

I liked her music up until Charm Bracelet. I lost interest in her music after Charm Bracelet. Her voice definitely did start to show signs of having flaws in 1997. Her attitude? I loved her attitude before 1999 more. But that's just me. No singer's perfect. Hopefully, she doesn't let her ego get in the way too much of her making better music in the future.

Written By: tv on 07/30/16 at 1:07 am

This is weird because I couldn't stand her music in the 90's. I think after my senior year of High School(1998) I started to like her music. Now I look back at her music as part of a soundtrack to my HS years. Yeah so 90's Mariah all the way!

Written By: tv on 07/30/16 at 1:14 am

I think implants were the "plastic surgery of choice" to get in the 90's for women. Remember Pamela Anderson of "Baywatch" fame?

Written By: Ripley on 07/30/16 at 10:31 am

And Carmen E, Jenny McCarthey... I think Mariah's happens in the early-mid 2000's

Written By: tv on 07/30/16 at 3:13 pm

And Carmen E, Jenny McCarthey... I think Mariah's happens in the early-mid 2000's
Yeah that was before "The Butt" became the craze with Jennifer Lopez. Women actually wanted butt implants.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/16 at 6:39 pm

I first saw Mariah with her music video, Hero, in 1993.

Written By: Ripley on 07/30/16 at 9:37 pm

Yeah that was before "The Butt" became the craze with Jennifer Lopez. Women actually wanted butt implants.

The silicone in those leak easily

Check for new replies or respond here...