inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So I'm listening to what has entered Billboard's Hot 100 in the past four months

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/21/06 at 1:42 pm

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

How does crap like this reach the hot 100?

this is the stuff I'm listening to:

http://chuckyg.com/playlist/

taste seems to be lacking in what becomes popular...

Subject: Re: So I'm listening to what has entered Billboard's Hot 100 in the past four months

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 2:01 pm

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

How does crap like this reach the hot 100?

this is the stuff I'm listening to:

http://chuckyg.com/playlist/

taste seems to be lacking in what becomes popular...

Apart from maybe 1 or 2 songs, all of it is crap yes.  Popular music in the North American mainstream is going downhill  :\'(

Subject: Re: So I'm listening to what has entered Billboard's Hot 100 in the past four mo

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/21/06 at 2:06 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Subject: Re: So I'm listening to what has entered Billboard's Hot 100 in the past four mo

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/21/06 at 2:21 pm

High School Musical is so terrible. It only made the hot 100 because a bunch of little kids bought it on iTunes. It got no airplay thankfully.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/21/06 at 2:24 pm

High School Musical is so terrible. It only made the hot 100 because a bunch of little kids bought it on iTunes. It got no airplay thankfully.

They must be giving way more weight to iTunes downloads than they do to album sales/airplay.

I guess that's the problem right there.  CD singles are all but non-existant, so the single chart relies on iTunes and radio airplay.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/21/06 at 2:28 pm

They must be giving way more weight to iTunes downloads than they do to album sales/airplay.

I guess that's the problem right there.  CD singles are all but non-existant, so the single chart relies on iTunes and radio airplay.

Yea that's how it's been since 2005. iTunes sales make a big deal now. The one high school musical song reached no.4 I think, and it got no airplay the sales were just so massive.

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 2:34 pm

what's really sad, is Robbie Nevil co-produced two of those tracks.

Yeah.  He write alot of songs for some of today's crappy artists.  I liked him better as a solo singer.  Things won't ever be the same anymore  :\'(

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/21/06 at 2:57 pm

First off, CD sales have never influenced the singles chart, or album sales, or cassette sales. That's why there are separate album charts. Singles have always been the only sales figure to count. It just so happens singles are now being counted in their digital forms.

Second - what is the deal with all of this, "I don't like it, so therefore, it is bad music." I don't like all of the songs popular from any given time period, but that doesn't lead me to the conclusion that the songs I don't like are bad and that people who don't like them have bad taste - it simply means they're not to my taste and people who don't like them have different taste.

That is all.

Subject: Re: So I'm listening to what has entered Billboard's Hot 100 in the past four months

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/21/06 at 6:15 pm

Even sadder, kids' think it's an actual musical.

They'll be disapointed when they watch "Caberet", "Rent", "Grease" ,etc.  ::)  :P

Though Ashley Tisdale should stick to acting.

She makes Ashlee Simpson sound like a young Deborah Gibson  ::)  :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 8:47 am

First off, CD sales have never influenced the singles chart, or album sales, or cassette sales. That's why there are separate album charts. Singles have always been the only sales figure to count. It just so happens singles are now being counted in their digital forms.

not true.  Single sales are not the only figure counted. Airplay is a large part of the charts.  Green Day actually got burned in the mid 90s, because one of their songs wasn't available as a single so the airplay wasn't even counted towards the singles chart.

Second - what is the deal with all of this, "I don't like it, so therefore, it is bad music." I don't like all of the songs popular from any given time period, but that doesn't lead me to the conclusion that the songs I don't like are bad and that people who don't like them have bad taste - it simply means they're not to my taste and people who don't like them have different taste.

There's plenty of music I don't like, but I wouldn't consider bad music.  I dislike all forms of jazz, but I don't consider it bad music.  This "musical" thing from Disney however?  It's bad, really, really bad.  It's also a great signal that the current charts should basically be ignored, as it's pretty easily swayed by a very small listening demographic.

Check for new replies or respond here...