inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: emo why?

Written By: RheemO on 04/22/06 at 12:57 am

Nuf said!! :\'( :P ::) :( :D

Subject: Re: emo why?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/22/06 at 1:11 am

Ummmmm, okay?

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/06 at 1:21 am

If you add an L in there, you get Elmo. Maybe Elmo listens to emo? ;D

http://www.castilloamarillo.com/ecard/elmo.gif

Written By: RheemO on 04/22/06 at 1:32 am

screamo is even worse than emo, noone has a clue mostly today about what it takes to make a great song and, whats with these guys wearing their sisters pants and screaming till there lil' lungs burst??

the band these days,

gutar
bass
drums
screamer

WTF is happening today with the kids??:??

Written By: rich1981 on 04/22/06 at 2:37 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: RheemO on 04/22/06 at 2:57 am

This is emo,

EMO KID
my life is spiraling downward. i couldn't get enough money to go to the Blood Red Romance and Suffocate Me Dry Concert. It sucks cause they play some of my favorite songs like 'Stab My Heart Because I Love You,' and 'Rip Apart My Soul,' and of course, 'Stabby Rip Stab Stab." and it doesn't help that i couldn't get my hair to do that flippy thing either, like that guy from that band could do, some days you know. . . i'm an emo kid, non-conforming as can be you'd be non-conforming to if u look just like me i have paint on my nails and make-up on my face i'm almost emo enough to start shaving my legs 'cause i feel real deep when i'm dressing in drag i call it freedom of expression most just call me a f*g 'cause their dudes look like chicks, their chicks look like d*kes 'cause emo is one step below transvestite stop my breathing and slit my throat i must be emo i don't jump around when i go to shows i must be emo i'm dark and sensitive with low self-esteem the way i dress makes everyday feel like Hallowe'en i have no real problems but i like to make believe i stole my sister's mascara now i'm grounded for a week sulking and writing poetry are my hobbies i can't get through a Hawthorne Heights album without sobbing girls keep breaking up with me, it' never any fun they say they already have a p*ssy, they don't need another one stop my breathing and slit my throat i must be emo i don't jump around when i go to shows i must be emo dye in my hair and polish on my toes i must be emo i play guitar and write suicide notes i must be emo my life is just a black abyss, you know, it's so dark. and it's suffocating me. grabbing ahold of me and tightening it's grip, tighter than a pair of my little sister's jeans . . . which look great on my by the way when i get depressed i cut my wrists in every direction hearing songs about getting dumped give me an erection i write in a live journal and wear thick rimmed glasses i told my friends i bleed black and cry during classes i'm just a bad, cheap imitation of goth you can read me "Catcher in the Rye," and watch me jack off i wear skin tight clothes while hating my life if i said i like girls i'd only be half right i look like i'm dead and dress like a homo i must be emo screw XBOX i play old school Nintendo i must be emo i like to whine and hate my parentals i must be emo me and my friends all look like clones i must be emo my parents just don't get me you know. they think i'm gay just because they saw me kiss a guy. well, a couple of guys. but i mean, it's the 2000s. can't 2, or 4 dudes make-out with each other without being gay. i mean, chicks dig that kind of thing anyways. i don't know diary, sometimes i think you're the only one that gets me, you're my best friend. . . . i feel like tacos..

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/06 at 3:41 am

Emo or Eno?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/22/06 at 3:47 am

Why emo?

I don't know.......why cheddar?  Why rainforests?  Why does anything exist?  Because at least one person out there is interested in it. 

Written By: jackas on 04/22/06 at 7:53 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/06 at 8:06 am

mmm...

...cookies!

Written By: jackas on 04/22/06 at 8:08 am

mmm...

...cookies!

It's good enough for me.  Cookie, cookie, cookie start with C.

Written By: Apricot on 04/23/06 at 8:16 pm

EMO Why?

Because of PENIS?!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/23/06 at 10:15 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: La Roche on 04/23/06 at 10:18 pm

Same in every generation folks.

My old man was a Biker.
His old man was a Greaser.
I was a metalhead.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/23/06 at 10:22 pm

If and when emos have kids.....

What would they make of the music, their parents listened to?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/06 at 1:57 am

EMO Why?

Because of PENIS?!
Why?

Written By: RheemO on 04/24/06 at 2:57 am

Every gen has it's music but, this is NOT music--it's noise with a bunch of screaming with some rhyming nonsense!!  All revolving round the penis seeking vagina or something completely different--i am stumped!!

Written By: limblifter on 04/24/06 at 8:33 am

Every gen has it's music but, this is NOT music--it's noise with a bunch of screaming with some rhyming nonsense!!  All revolving round the penis seeking vagina or something completely different--i am stumped!!

This coming from someone who has a picture of Jonathan Davis in their avatar. ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 3:48 pm

Q: Are we not men? A: We are Emo!

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/24/06 at 7:31 pm

I admit, some emo is really stupid and the way they dress is ridiculous but I think emo exists or still exists rather, because some kids need it. The lyrics of emo songs might help kids get over problems. Say you just came home from school and you're really mad because you got in a fight with your really good friend and you got made fun of. You come home and put on Linkin Park or AFI cd and you feel better because you know that you're not the only one that this has happened to. Well I think music in general makes you feel good but I guess that there's just something about emo that a lot of kids like. Whether or not emo will last forever, I can't say but we'll see.

This coming from someone who has a picture of Jonathan Davis in their avatar. ::)

that's what I was thinking ;D

Written By: RheemO on 04/25/06 at 3:53 am

I admit, some emo is really stupid and the way they dress is ridiculous but I think emo exists or still exists rather, because some kids need it. The lyrics of emo songs might help kids get over problems. Say you just came home from school and you're really mad because you got in a fight with your really good friend and you got made fun of. You come home and put on Linkin Park or AFI cd and you feel better because you know that you're not the only one that this has happened to. Well I think music in general makes you feel good but I guess that there's just something about emo that a lot of kids like. Whether or not emo will last forever, I can't say but we'll see.

As far as problems of any kind go,

A bunch of sister pants wearing, toe nail painting, hopped up on something, screaming loonies can not be of much help in my opinion because most of what they are saying was most likely made up in their lil ole heads and fantasy solves nothing!  Reality holds the key to reality, nothing can replace the truth!  The truth is, you won't find it in the lyrics of most any kind of music!!

Written By: RheemO on 04/25/06 at 4:01 am

I,

kinda messed up that whole reply with quote thing but, the things i said still apply :)!!

If some one said in a song that the answers yo seek were in meth-E- or pot-would you believe because thsy said it was so?

Most parents don't have a clue but,
some still do!!

Written By: RheemO on 04/27/06 at 3:02 am

Just,

When ya thought this went away--it's back cause, i want more feedback on this.  Kids today are gett'n so screwed when it comes to music!!  Why do they listen to what they are told to hear?  Who tells them, think bout that one for abit!!

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 11:43 am

that's what I was thinking ;D

Linkin Park is emo???

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:45 am

Linkin Park is emo???

I'd say they're not, but they definitely have some major emo tendencies. "Breaking the Habit" is very much an Emo song, in fact Chester Bennington is very emo.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 11:47 am

I'd say they're not, but they definitely have some major emo tendencies. "Breaking the Habit" is very much an Emo song, in fact Chester Bennington is very emo.

I never thought of them as emo before, I guess it's in the lyrics though. I usually go by what sounds emo, Fall Out Boy type stuff.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:49 am

I never thought of them as emo before, I guess it's in the lyrics though. I usually go by what sounds emo, Fall Out Boy type stuff.

Well yeah, FOB are the poster children of emo.  Linkin Park are numetal, with some emo tendencies, particulary on their second album Meteora.  Considering how big emo is in 2006, I wouldn't be suprised if their next album has even more of an emo influence.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 11:51 am

Well yeah, FOB are the poster children of emo.  Linkin Park are numetal, with some emo tendencies, particulary on their second album Meteora.  Considering how big emo is in 2006, I wouldn't be suprised if their next album has even more of an emo influence.

Ya that wouldn't be a surpise. Emo is taking over the world, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:53 am

Ya that wouldn't be a surpise. Emo is taking over the world, lol.

It almost seems to be taking the place of Glam Rap.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 11:54 am

It almost seems to be taking the place of Glam Rap.

Possibly. A lot of people like rap AND emo at the same time though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:57 am

Possibly. A lot of people like rap AND emo at the same time though.

True.  I wonder why ...

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 12:04 pm

What exactly defines an "emo kid" outside of listening to emo music?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 12:05 pm

What exactly defines an "emo kid" outside of listening to emo music?

Wearing eyeshadow, liking '80s clothes, lamenting being dumped, cutting off your fingers.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 12:08 pm

Wearing eyeshadow, liking '80s clothes, lamenting being dumped, cutting off your fingers.

Yea I've seen plenty of kids like this, I actually wasn't sure if they were the so called emo kids. I don't get why they cut their fingers, that sounds pretty stupid.

Written By: Kryllith on 04/27/06 at 1:09 pm

so modern day goth basically...

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 04/27/06 at 8:05 pm

Wow, emo, just one of the many reasons why this decade sucks so freaking bad.  This has to be one of the gayest decades. our "music styles" today, are crap.  face it rap sucks.  Pretty much, if its music today, it sucks, accept for a few bands and artists.  Thats what tics me off so bad.  Everyone else has great memories of past decades like the 90's, and the 80's, and when they where teens.  Their "generations".  wow, what do we have?  nothing.  We have a terrible decade that fails.  I mean, what are we suposed to look back on?  The Apocolypse?  Terrorisim?  a terrible time, with terrible music, and a pitiful culture.....man, if only I was born earlier =/

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/27/06 at 8:08 pm

Other things:
-Being a pseudo-intellectual who loves obscure things for the sake of their obscurity and things that are deliberately "quirky."
-Someone who goes to local concerts of sheeshty bands for no reason.
-If you're a guy, starving yourself for the look.
-Constantly complaining along the lines that you're better than everyone else.
-You shop at Urban Outfitters (this is sort of hipster emo, I guess.)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 8:14 pm

Other things:
-Being a pseudo-intellectual who loves obscure things for the sake of their obscurity and things that are deliberately "quirky."
-Someone who goes to local concerts of sheeshty bands for no reason.
-If you're a guy, starving yourself for the look.
-Constantly complaining along the lines that you're better than everyone else.
-You shop at Urban Outfitters (this is sort of hipster emo, I guess.)

With all respects, I don't think it's completely fair to say that emo and indie are exactly the same thing.  There are definitely similarities, but there are differences to.

For one thing, emos tend to be full of self-pity, whereas indies tend to be more happy, but at the same time are very misanthropic.  Both identify with their music, and like to emo out over its lyrics and sound.  It's the indies who tend to be arrogant, however both seem to look down on people who dislike their music. 

Dressing indie basically means dressing retro, nerdy, or carelessly.  Dressing emo means the nerd-goth look, retro, '70s-ish haircuts, and "Baby of the '80s" type t-shirts, because most Emos were born in the '80s or at latest early '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/27/06 at 8:18 pm

With all respects, I don't think it's completely fair to say that emo and indie are exactly the same thing.  There are definitely similarities, but there are differences to.

For one thing, emos tend to be full of self-pity, whereas indies tend to be more happy, but at the same time are very misanthropic.  Both identify with their music, and like to emo out over its lyrics and sound.  It's the indies who tend to be arrogant, however both seem to look down on people who dislike their music. 

Dressing indie basically means dressing retro, nerdy, or carelessly.  Dressing emo means the nerd-goth look, retro, '70s-ish haircuts, and "Baby of the '80s" type t-shirts, because most Emos were born in the '80s or at latest early '90s.

Yeah, wearing a "Product of the '80s" t-shirt is sorta emo.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 8:20 pm

Yeah, wearing a "Product of the '80s" t-shirt is sorta emo.

Can you really call someone born in 1988 a "Product of the '80s", anyway? Or, if you're analyzing its technical aspect, can someone born in the first 9 months of 1990 wear one honestly?

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 04/27/06 at 8:22 pm

Can you really call someone born in 1988 a "Product of the '80s", anyway? Or, if you're analyzing its technical aspect, can someone born in the first 9 months of 1990 wear one honestly?

No, they cant, because they never experienced it.  See, thats just the thing, teens and kids today wish they could have lived trhough a GOOD decade, because this decade sucks so bad. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 8:25 pm

No, they cant, because they never experienced it.  See, thats just the thing, teens and kids today wish they could have lived trhough a GOOD decade, because this decade sucks so bad. 

I'm a product of the '90s.  That was a decent decade.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/27/06 at 8:27 pm

I'm a product of the '90s.  That was a decent decade.

I agree....I'm happy to be a "product of the '90s", albeit 1990.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 04/27/06 at 8:36 pm

Exactly, the 80's and the 90's where a GOOD DECADE.  But I dont really have the right to call it that, since I was born in '88.  therefore, I was just a kid during the GOOD decades.  So, it wasnt really my generation, or my time.  therefore, i cant remenise about "the good old days", because, I havent really "lived" thought a time that wwas good.  I remember quite a few things from the 90's that alot of my friends dont.  but, since I was just a kid, I guess it doesnt count.  All i have is this morally corrupt decade to look back on.  A terrible time, where people are labeled by what they where, look like, or think.  Wow, what a crappy decade this is =/

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/28/06 at 6:47 pm

Exactly, the 80's and the 90's where a GOOD DECADE.  But I dont really have the right to call it that, since I was born in '88.  therefore, I was just a kid during the GOOD decades.  So, it wasnt really my generation, or my time.  therefore, i cant remenise about "the good old days", because, I havent really "lived" thought a time that wwas good.  I remember quite a few things from the 90's that alot of my friends dont.  but, since I was just a kid, I guess it doesnt count.  All i have is this morally corrupt decade to look back on.  A terrible time, where people are labeled by what they where, look like, or think.  Wow, what a crappy decade this is =/

About the labling, why can't everything just be classified as music?  I mean who the heck came up with all these labels anyway? ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/28/06 at 7:24 pm

About the labling, why can't everything just be classified as music?  I mean who the heck came up with all these labels anyway? ;D

Seriously.

"Emo" is short for "Emotion"... all music has some sort of emotion behind the lyrics. That's right, kids.. some might even consider your ol' pal 50 cent an Emo.

What now?!

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/28/06 at 7:33 pm

Seriously.

"Emo" is short for "Emotion"... all music has some sort of emotion behind the lyrics. That's right, kids.. some might even consider your ol' pal 50 cent an Emo.

What now?!

Yeah, that's what I tell people who say they hate emo. Every song you could practically think of has emotion of some kind. I mean come on people, think! ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/28/06 at 7:34 pm

Seriously.

What now?!

What I've been saying, man!

The Beatles are emo!!!

SCOTT JOPLIN (remember him?) IS EMO!?!?!?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 7:53 pm

I dunno, I'm not content with not classifying music.  At least when it comes to rip-off bands that deserve to be classified.  For instance, Puddle of Mudd do not just sound like Puddle of Mudd, they sound like mainstream rock. 

As for emo, well it can't be '60s or '70s music, or really even '80s or '90s music, considering it wasn't really popular until the early to mid '00s.  I think it has to be punk-derived in some way or another.  It's actually short for "emotional hardcore".

Written By: La Roche on 04/29/06 at 1:41 pm

SCOTT JOPLIN (remember him?) IS EMO!?!?!?

Yup, his old house is about a mile from me.

Written By: RheemO on 04/29/06 at 6:12 pm

I wonder why rap isen't called emo cause--or cuz--they all talk bout gat'n each other down kill kill kill is an emotion!!!  Some lil rich punk called noise emo and fer some reason by word of mouth, the scene was hatched!!  Labols of any kind suck!!

Again, where am i wrong here??

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/06 at 7:29 am

Emo or Eno?

Nice one, Phil.  ;D

The Emo style doesn't half remind me of the New Romantics of the 80s (especially the hairstyles).

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/03/06 at 10:07 am

I still don't get it....

What the blankety bleep is emo?  Does it stand for something?  Could someone please give me examples of "emo" or "indie" songs so I can listen and figure out what it is???

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/03/06 at 11:32 am

I still don't get it....

What the blankety bleep is emo?  Does it stand for something?  Could someone please give me examples of "emo" or "indie" songs so I can listen and figure out what it is???

Emo= Dirty Little Secret- All American Rejects, Helena- My Chemical Romance, Dance Dance- Fall Out Boy

Indie doesn't really have a specific sound imo it's just music on independent labels.

Written By: shadowy_starr on 05/03/06 at 6:44 pm

I just found out that RheemO is my dad :o.....how cruel

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/03/06 at 6:45 pm

I just found out that RheemO is my dad :o.....how cruel

;D That's kinda funny, actually.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/03/06 at 7:48 pm

;D That's kinda funny, actually.

I agree!

Now I gotta wonder about my dad....

Written By: RheemO on 05/03/06 at 8:09 pm

I'm yer what??

:D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/03/06 at 8:12 pm

There's sort of this double standard, like the current indie crowd gets to classify everything but their music. Honestly, we all know Bright Eyes and Death Cab for Cutie are emo...but do they admit it? No.

I think the criteria for something being emo is sort of elusive. It has to be pretty whiny and have appeal to teens and college students. It has to be descended in some way from '90s pop-punk (though it's probably not as explicit if it's indiemo), hardcore punk, and new wave/post punk (this includes the Smiths and the Talking Heads.) Usually, its fans include the same group of teenagers who go around with Myspaces, being elitist hipsters and wearing huge scarves and looking all twee and sad with their shaggy haircuts. There's probably some influence from goth music and slightly from '90s indie pop, twee pop, and nerd rock. I think Fugazi, Texas is the Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate, etc. are the closest the '90s really gets to genuine emo.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 9:03 pm

I remember there was emo-rock back in '02 with the Deftones, Jimmy Eat World.etc, but that seemed to just be depressing punk, which wasn't all that bad. Now its seem to have grown into a whole sub-culture in the blink of an eye.

Written By: shadowy_starr on 05/03/06 at 11:29 pm

I'm yer what??

:D

::)

Written By: Skunch on 05/05/06 at 3:36 am

Hey Shatar,

Whatayo know,

EMO shucks my dear!!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/05/06 at 10:38 am

Sometimes I wonder if there's a guest out there that actually makes sense. Seriously, wtf? None of them know how to form a coherent sentence. What's the deal, guests..?!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:28 am

Sometimes I wonder if there's a guest out there that actually makes sense. Seriously, wtf? None of them know how to form a coherent sentence. What's the deal, guests..?!

Hence banning guests from posting...

Written By: 1993 on 05/07/06 at 12:50 pm

meh, it's basically just soft, garbage grunge making the rounds again. It's of very little significance but should be noted anyway.

Written By: RheemO on 05/08/06 at 4:22 am

When the group Garbage hit the scene, they were not kidding--at least they said it up front--GARBAGE!!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 5:08 am

When the group Garbage hit the scene, they were not kidding--at least they said it up front--GARBAGE!!

If you think Garbage is garbage, you should hear some of the real garbage out there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/06 at 1:56 pm

Didn't Garbage do a Bond song?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/10/06 at 1:58 pm

Garbage is not a bad group, regardless of their name.

Check for new replies or respond here...