inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The DaVinci Code

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/24/06 at 7:16 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes.  Anyone else?

Subject: Re: The DaVinci Code

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/24/06 at 7:55 pm

I am too. With all the contriversy, it should be interesting :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/24/06 at 8:20 pm

"I'd rather read the book" - but I'd rather gouge my intestines out with a fork.

When it comes to weaving a good conspiracy yarn, Dan Brown's a rank amateur.

If you're after a goo dconspiracy-theory-romp-through-history, read the following three, in approximate order:

"Gravity's Rainbow", Thomas Pynchon
"Foucault's Pendulum", Umberto Eco
"The Illuminatus! Trilogy", Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea

After reading all three of the above, your brain will forgive you for giving Dan your money :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/25/06 at 3:03 am

"I'd rather read the book" - but I'd rather gouge my intestines out with a fork.

When it comes to weaving a good conspiracy yarn, Dan Brown's a rank amateur.

If you're after a goo dconspiracy-theory-romp-through-history, read the following three, in approximate order:

"Gravity's Rainbow", Thomas Pynchon
"Foucault's Pendulum", Umberto Eco
"The Illuminatus! Trilogy", Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea

After reading all three of the above, your brain will forgive you for giving Dan your money :)

I second that. I refused to give Dan any of my money - so I borrowed the book instead !  At the end I came to the conclusion it was indeed a very amateur attempt at a "thriller". It was extremely predicable throughout. I could sit here and list about 1000 better thrillers I have read in the past 10 years.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/25/06 at 5:10 am

I tried the book and couldn't stay awake past the second chapter.  I tried again, and reads like what it is, a a bargain basement sham.  I can't imagine why it has become the rave it has. Boring, and mediocre, are the best I can come up with to describe it.

Written By: karen on 04/25/06 at 5:14 am

Well I'll be different and say that I read the book and liked it.  I've also read Deception Point and Angels and Demons and enjoyed them as well.  I am hoping to go and see the film when it is released.  Hubby enjoyed the book as well so he might be persuaded to comew ith me.

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/25/06 at 7:33 am

I might go to see it. However, I doubt that it will be all that great - it seems like these controversial things never really are all that when I actually see them for myself. Harry Potter, The Passion of the Christ, The Da Vinci Code... None of these have really outraged me as much as everyone seems to think I should be.

At worst I find myself thinking "Meh. OK. Well, at least it works in the story."

Written By: KKay on 04/25/06 at 9:48 am

i should read the book..sounds really good and im interested in the subject matter.

i can't pay to see tom hanks, though. he drives me nuts.
i'll watchi it on cable in a few months.

9(love his movies, just hate him!)

Check for new replies or respond here...