inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The '00s and Scripted Dramas

Written By: MtOlivePickles on 04/24/06 at 7:58 pm

It seems like the first couple of years of this decade were, on TV anyway, all about the reality shows. We were innundated with Survivor and Big Brother, and the competitive reality shows like Fear Factor and American Idol. And then, in '04, it was like we started to get a return to the scripted dramas, starting with Lost.

I'm pretty sure there were exceptions to this--24 debuted in 2001, and The West Wing had been on since 1999; I'm sure there's more. But it seems like after the fall of 2004, the glut of reality shows kind of slowed down and more scripted dramas have started to come back into favor. What's your take on that?

Subject: Re: The '00s and Scripted Dramas

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/24/06 at 8:14 pm

I like scripted dramas alot more.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/24/06 at 9:49 pm

CSI has been really huge down here. As with Lost and Desperate Housewives. Probably more-so than your so-called reality and DIY shows.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 9:55 pm

I'm glad scripted dramas came back, starting in late 2003 with The O.C and getting big in late 2004 with Desperate Housewives and CSI, etc., getting to be the biggest thing on TV. The reality shows are terrible, they show TV networks they can't just take the quality out of TV and replace it totally with trash and make money off of it because it's cheaper...we need a nice mix of quality and trash  ;D .

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 9:57 pm

Scripted dramas are better. Reality is the trend of '00s TV, but LOST is the best show ever.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 10:01 pm

Scripted dramas are better. Reality is the trend of '00s TV, but LOST is the best show ever.

The two big trends are scripted dramas (including forensic/political thriller dramas and primetime soaps targeted to varying age and demographic groups) and various kinds of reality TV. The big trends of the '90s were "intelligent" sitcoms, adult animated programming, and to a degree crime/medical programming, though it had less dominance than in the '00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...