inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Punk revival this year

Written By: Andydrew on 04/26/06 at 6:38 am

Do any of you think that punk will make a revival this year? just wandering 8)

Subject: Re: Punk revival this year

Written By: limblifter on 04/26/06 at 8:00 am

Punk doesn't need to be revived because it never died.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/06 at 8:35 am

Agreed, it may have kind of sort of leveled off awhile back, but it has never died.

Written By: Gis on 04/26/06 at 10:51 am

It's mutated a little but no, it's never gone away.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 5:52 pm

Um, no. The punk revival was the early '90s...and we're focused on new wave, hardcore, and post-punk revivals at the moment.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 8:37 pm

There were many 'punk' revivals, though the term has been used differently. There was the early 90s up-tempo rock punk, to a lesser extent late 90s/early 00s punk (interestingly led by many of the same bands), and emo-punk, prevalent today.

Many die-hards still consider the late-70s/early-80s punk explosion the only 'true' form of punk..the Pistols, the Clash, the New York Dolls, the Ramones, the Dead Kennedys, Motorhead.etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 8:45 pm

There were many 'punk' revivals, though the term has been used differently. There was the early 90s up-tempo rock punk, to a lesser extent late 90s/early 00s punk (interestingly led by many of the same bands), and emo-punk, prevalent today.

Many die-hards still consider the late-70s/early-80s punk explosion the only 'true' form of punk..the Pistols, the Clash, the New York Dolls, the Ramones, the Dead Kennedys, Motorhead.etc.

Yeah, I think punk was one of those four year movements that was extremely important theoretically, if not for the music itself, in terms of quality. The punk movement is when the guitar-based, neo-British Invasion/American folk and psych/jam rock. classic rock and ponderous arena rock of the early-mid '70s gave way to the rock of the '80s, '90s, and '00s. Punk ultimately led to new wave, post-punk, synth pop, alt rock (though this is more neo-'70s, Brit Invasion rock and American folk rock), '90s pop-punk, indie rock, and Britpop. It also indirectly influenced, in its harsh directness, hip-hop and alot of the R&B since 1985 or so.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 8:53 pm

The punk philosophy is similar to the 'Garage Bands' of the 60s - a return to simplicity, and snatching the power away from the big record execs and putting it in the hands of the little guys. Bands were seen utmost as a self-contained unit of artistic/political expression. The Kennedys are perhaps one of the most political punk groups, and they really pushed this agenda. Punk was as much as a statement of freedom of expression as a musical revolution, which did not really accompany the 'punk' movements of the 90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 8:55 pm

The punk philosophy is similar to the 'Garage Bands' of the 60s - a return to simplicity, and snatching the power away from the big record execs and putting it in the hands of the little guys. Bands were seen utmost as a self-contained unit of artistic/political expression. The Kennedys are perhaps one of the most political punk groups, and they really pushed this agenda. Punk was as much as a statement of freedom of expression as a musical revolution, which did not really accompany the 'punk' movements of the 90s.

Yeah, punk was waaay more important theoretically than musically, IMO. It began the various alternative rock movements and forced us finally away from '60s idealism in rock.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, punk was waaay more important theoretically than musically, IMO. It began the various alternative rock movements and forced us finally away from '60s idealism in rock.

That's one thing I don't like about punk. Much of it was more expouding a philosophy/lifestyle/political POV than actual artistic experimentation. Sure, they used their artistic license, but like folk (I know many will hate me for this), they often took old chord progressions and added new lyrics. While I like a few punk bands of the era; mainly The Clash and the Dead Kennedys, I actually prefer Disco musically, even though it's campy image is semi-justified, by way of all the majority of it being rather crappy.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:11 pm

That's one thing I don't like about punk. Much of it was more expouding a philosophy/lifestyle/political POV than actual artistic experimentation. Sure, they used their artistic license, but like folk (I know many will hate me for this), they often took old chord progressions and added new lyrics. While I like a few punk bands of the era; mainly The Clash and the Dead Kennedys, I actually prefer Disco musically, even though it's campy image is semi-justified, by way of all the majority of it being rather crappy.

Disco overall produced better songs than punk, though they were equally influential.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/26/06 at 9:18 pm

I don't see a punk revival. Emo is today's punk. I see more and more crossover A/C hits. James Blunt, Daniel Powter, and The Fray type music will probably be a big part of the late '00s. Nick Lachey's and Ashley Parker Angel's solo stuff is doing very good as well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:20 pm

I don't see a punk revival. Emo is today's punk. I see more and more crossover A/C hits. James Blunt, Daniel Powter, and The Fray type music will probably be a big part of the late '00s. Nick Lachey's and Ashley Parker Angel's solo stuff is doing very good as well.

I think teen pop will finally, finally die on its last legs, though...including the Simpsons, Mandy Moore, etc.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/26/06 at 9:21 pm

I think teen pop will finally, finally die on its last legs, though...including the Simpsons, Mandy Moore, etc.

Ashlee Simpson died when L.O.V.E. came out, one of the worst pieces of music ever.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:31 am

Emo = sorry excuse for punk.

Actually, I'm generally not a fan of Punk, with some exceptions.  Music needs melody.

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/06 at 3:24 pm

Do any of you think that punk will make a revival this year? just wandering 8)

I sure hope not.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/27/06 at 6:29 pm

Don't care either way. All I know is I won't be the one who will be listening to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...