inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Noughties?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 4:02 pm

I've heard that since the British call zero "nought", the '00s are generally referred to as "The Noughties" in Britain.  Even the BBC has accepted the term. Hmmm.  Now in America, "The Zeroes" would work much better than "The Noughties".  I kind of like the Noughties though.  It sounds like a decade, and also sounds like "Nineties" which makes sense.

"We play the best hits of the eighties, nineties, and noughties!"

Subject: Re: The Noughties?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/26/06 at 4:30 pm

Actually I believe the official name for this decade is the noughties.  Just like the next decade wil be the teens.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 4:57 pm

Actually I believe the official name for this decade is the noughties.  Just like the next decade wil be the teens.

I actually prefer the "tens" to the "teens".  Probably because 2010, 2011, and 2012 don't end in -teen.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 5:51 pm

I like the "noughties"...I can imagine a lascivious British radio announcer enunciating it at 3 AM via satellite radio.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 8:38 pm

Yeah, Noughties sound good...

Another option is the 'hundreds'...which strangely enough, no one seems to have picked on. In history shows.etc when referring to the decade 1900-1910 they always say the 'Ninteen hundreds.'

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 10:16 pm

Yeah, Noughties sound good...

Another option is the 'hundreds'...which strangely enough, no one seems to have picked on. In history shows.etc when referring to the decade 1900-1910 they always say the 'Ninteen hundreds.'

That's true. However, "nineteen hundreds" I think works better for the 1900-1909 decade, because that decade was essentially a part of the "long 20th century" that went from the revolutions of the late 1700s to the beginning of WWI.  Whereas the '00s, and even the '90s seem more early 21st century-ish.

Check for new replies or respond here...