inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If It's Not Broken, Should You Try Something New?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:25 pm

This is my issue with the modern rock revival (and most emo)...it really takes without adding anything substantially original, it's highly derivative. And overall, this is one of my big problems with this decade. I believe that truly innovative, important music, which this decade has produced very little of (to the semi-mainstream eye), does more than imitate.

Subject: Re: If It's Not Broken, Should You Try Something New?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:04 pm

This is my issue with the modern rock revival (and most emo)...it really takes without adding anything substantially original, it's highly derivative. And overall, this is one of my big problems with this decade. I believe that truly innovative, important music, which this decade has produced very little of (to the semi-mainstream eye), does more than imitate.

I whole-heartedly agree. It's either ripping from the 80s (e.g. Killers), 90s ('Bright Eyes' sounds a bit like Hootie and the Blowfish). I have to admit I'm sort of sick of the conventional rock outfit style. I'd personally like to see a bit more cross-over/fusion styles; the addition of more ethnic instruments, sparing use of SoundFX. Actually very different sounding melodies/arrangements (like the Smiths' 'folk' style), and perhaps more influence of Jazz/Swing other neglected styles on modern music.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:05 pm

Btw, cloudbuster, you always seem to be complaining about current indie bands, just wondering what current bands you really think ARE being original, crossing those boundaries?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 10:07 pm

Btw, cloudbuster, you always seem to be complaining about current indie bands, just wondering what current bands you really think ARE being original, crossing those boundaries?

Not many...Radiohead certainly is. Flaming Lips are.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:11 pm

Not many...Radiohead certainly is. Flaming Lips are.

Both are also largely 90s bands...any mostly exclusive 00s Indie bands that really speak to you?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 10:15 pm

Not that I know of, though I'd be glad to find one.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:17 pm

Not that I know of, though I'd be glad to find one.

Have you heard of 'New Buffalo' a.k.a. Sarry Seltman? Probably hard to find over there, but it is available online. I don't know but that's one of the best albums I've heard in awhile. Sarah Blasko's debut is also good, as well as the Panics, Eskimo Joe, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, McClusky...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 10:18 pm

Have you heard of 'New Buffalo' a.k.a. Sarry Seltman? Probably hard to find over there, but it is available online. I don't know but that's one of the best albums I've heard in awhile. Sarah Blasko's debut is also good, as well as the Panics, Eskimo Joe, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, McClusky...

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs aren't that bad, actually.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 10:25 pm

I agree.  Although I like The Killers, I think it's mostly because I want them to bring the '80s back.  In reality, they don't hold a candle to the bands, such as New Order that they rip off.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:39 pm

The name of the album is 'Last Beautiful Day' - you can buy it online, or alternatively I think it's on itunes. If you do buy it, tell me what you think. It's a bit like 'Cocktail bar' music,but still very good.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 10:44 pm

Oh yeah, Rufus Wainwright is quite good.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/27/06 at 10:17 am

I agree.  Although I like The Killers, I think it's mostly because I want them to bring the '80s back.  In reality, they don't hold a candle to the bands, such as New Order that they rip off.

Yeah, and for example, the Strokes don't hold a candle to Television and the Pretenders.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 10:58 am

Yeah, and for example, the Strokes don't hold a candle to Television and the Pretenders.

Derivative or not I prefer the Strokes to those bands...

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/27/06 at 11:47 am

I have to admit, I don't know what "indie" is supposed to refer to.  ???

I honestly don't remember people using that term in the '90s all that much; Radiohead, for example, was an alternative band, not "indie." I'm sure the term was used in the '90s for certain bands, but maybe it's grown too big for its breeches in the '00s... Anyway, I still prefer to designate '90s bands like Radiohead, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, as alternative.

It is possible, I suppose, that everyone was referring to these bands as "indie" in the '90s and I was simply oblivious to it all. ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 11:50 am

I have to admit, I don't know what the hell "indie" is supposed to refer to.  ???

I honestly don't remember people using that term in the '90s all that much; Radiohead, for example, was an alternative band, not "indie." I'm sure the term was used in the '90s for certain bands, but maybe it's grown too big for its breeches in the '00s... Anyway, I still prefer to designate '90s bands like Radiohead, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, as alternative.

It is possible, I suppose, that everyone was referring to these bands as "indie" in the '90s and I was simply oblivious to it all. ;)

indie= independent non-major record label. It's as simple as that. It is also used to describe bands that started out on independent labels (like Death Cab For Cutie).

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 12:03 pm

indie= independent non-major record label. It's as simple as that. It is also used to describe bands that started out on independent labels (like Death Cab For Cutie).

Many people interpret 'indie' differently. Some think it's an actual style of music...

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 12:19 pm

Many people interpret 'indie' differently. Some think it's an actual style of music...

That's weird.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/27/06 at 12:41 pm

That's why I was confused, actually. :)

Written By: Gil on 04/27/06 at 8:03 pm

Innovating is great, but sometime artists are made out to be bad than just cuz they don't.  An artists job is not necessarily to do something different, but just to express thereself.

Check for new replies or respond here...