inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vancouver, Washington Teen Murdered

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 12:39 am

Normally, I don't really care much when I hear about random murders, but this one is really sad, and happened within 100 miles of me.  Sad to think she was alive less than a week ago  :\'(

http://www.kptv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4807838

(FOX 12) -- Friends and family said goodbye to a Vancouver teen who died after being stabbed at a fast food restaurant last week.

The funeral for Anna Svidersky was held yesterday at Evergreen Memorial Gardens Funeral Chapel (1101 NE 112th, Vancouver).

On Monday, hundreds paid their respects to 17-year-old Anna Svidersky at a memorial service at the Church of Truth in Vancouver. Friends and family remembered Anna by sharing stories about her life and how she touched them in her own way.

Anna died last Thursday in what police call "a random act of violence" while working at a Vancouver McDonald's.

Today would have been Svidersky's 18th birthday.

The man accused of stabbing Svidersky, David Sullivan, is now in a state mental hospital.

Friends have set up fundraisers to help Svidersky's family pay for funeral costs:

The McDonald's on NE Andresen will donate every dollar rung up in the register this Thursday to the Svidersky family.

A trust fund has been set up through First Independent Banks for the public to make donations to the Svidersky family. The fund name is "The Memorial Fund for Anna Svidersky".

Subject: Re: Vancouver, Washington Teen Murdered

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 1:13 am

That's really sad  :\'(. It's hard to understand some of these people.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 1:16 am

That's really sad  :\'(. It's hard to understand some of these people.

Well in this case the murderer seemed insane beyond reason.  He was a scizo and a sex offender.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 1:20 am

Well in this case the murderer seemed insane beyond reason.  He was a scizo and a sex offender.

Oh, I didn't quite read all that. Well hopefully he stays locked up in the mental facility where he belongs. I hear about murders all the time happening in inner city Cleveland, young people always getting killed for no reason at all, it just never ends.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 1:22 am

Oh, I didn't quite read all that. Well hopefully he stays locked up in the mental facility where he belongs. I hear about murders all the time happening in inner city Cleveland, young people always getting killed for no reason at all, it just never ends.

Is that part of the reason Cleveland's a dump? Or is it a ghetto too?

I'm not sure, but I think Vancouver, WA has a pretty high crime rate. It's a suburb of Portland, which is a safe city.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 1:25 am

I'm not sure, but I think Vancouver, WA has a pretty high crime rate. It's a suburb of Portland, which is a safe city.

Ghetto is a good description. Just run down, lots of crime and drugs. Crappy public schools (40 % graduation rate). It is very ghetto in the inner city. It ain't pretty.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 1:29 am

Ghetto is a good description. Just run down, lots of crime and drugs. Crappy public schools (40 % graduation rate). It is very ghetto in the inner city. It ain't pretty.

It's funny, because people think of this stuff as being in coastal cities, but the Rust Belt cities like Detroit are really the worst.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 1:31 am

It's funny, because people think of this stuff as being in coastal cities, but the Rust Belt cities like Detroit are really the worst.

Detroit is really bad. I think it has the highest murders or something.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 1:32 am

That's probably because of ICP  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 1:33 am

That's probably because of ICP  ;D

;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/27/06 at 10:14 am

Actually, Camden NJ has the highest murder rate...some other famously unsafe cities are Atlanta, Detroit, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Dallas, Philadelphia, Chicago, Bronx and Brooklyn (NYC boroughs), Newark/Irvington/the Oranges (NJ, right next to me), and Washington DC.

I feel horrible for her.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 10:21 am

Actually, Camden NJ has the highest murder rate...some other famously unsafe cities are Atlanta, Detroit, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Dallas, Philadelphia, Chicago, Bronx and Brooklyn (NYC boroughs), Newark/Irvington/the Oranges (NJ, right next to me), and Washington DC.

I feel horrible for her.

She seemed like such a cool, funny person.  How tragic, to die at 17 to the hands of a psycho.  Nobody deserves to die that young  :\'(

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 10:57 am

Ohhh...I thought you were referring to Vancouver, Canada. I know, that's f*cked up...I know just recently a teenage girl was shot to death randomnly here in Perth. Makes you wonder...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:06 am

Ohhh...I thought you were referring to Vancouver, Canada. I know, that's f*cked up...I know just recently a teenage girl was shot to death randomnly here in Perth. Makes you wonder...

The guy who killed her was definitely insane.  He walked into that McDonalds, "wanting to hurt a female".  It was a totally random killing, by a nutcase.  Luckily, he's in a mental hospital where he belongs.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:13 am

The guy who killed her was definitely insane.  He walked into that McDonalds, "wanting to hurt a female".  It was a totally random killing, by a nutcase.  Luckily, he's in a mental hospital where he belongs.

Speaking of Maccas...there was a stabbing at the local McDonald's (non-fatal, thankfully) last year. It seems like violent crime is getting worse in peaceful ol' Perth.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:22 am

Speaking of Maccas...there was a stabbing at the local McDonald's (non-fatal, thankfully) last year. It seems like violent crime is getting worse in peaceful ol' Perth.

Hmmm...weird.  Yet another reason not to work at Mickey D's  ;D (excuse the sick joke)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:24 am

Hmmm...weird.  Yet another reason not to work at Mickey D's  ;D (excuse the sick joke)

McDonald's is a hangout for all the local hoods...for some reason, it seems to be almost exclusively McDonald's. None of the other fast-food-chains have the same 'problem.'

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:27 am

McDonald's is a hangout for all the local hoods...for some reason, it seems to be almost exclusively McDonald's. None of the other fast-food-chains have the same 'problem.'

Maybe the stench of the food causes madness?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:28 am

Maybe the stench of the food causes madness?

Mad Cow disease?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:30 am

Mad Cow disease?

Probably.  Is that in Aussie?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:32 am

Probably.  Is that in Aussie?

Now it originated in the UK...it was a really big deal in the late 90s (?) I think with regards to some of the beef being used in McDonalds, and in general. Also about the time of the 'McLibel' case (not a good period for the golden arches). Did it reach your shores? Can't remember...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:38 am

Now it originated in the UK...it was a really big deal in the late 90s (?) I think with regards to some of the beef being used in McDonalds, and in general. Also about the time of the 'McLibel' case (not a good period for the golden arches). Did it reach your shores? Can't remember...

Mad Cow?  I don't think it has ... yet.  :P

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:41 am

Thankfully, Maccas (slang term here) only uses 100% Aussie beef now...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:42 am

Thankfully, Maccas (slang term here) only uses 100% Aussie beef now...

In the US, we call it "Mickey D's" sometimes. 

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/27/06 at 11:57 am

Perth, Australia? That's hard to imagine.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:59 am

Perth, Australia? That's hard to imagine.

Indeed it is...

But it seems concentrated in some places. This one suburb has seen at least a few murders this year, whereas my area is one of the safest. As far as I know, there's never been a murder or homicide commited in my suburb, probably less than a handful of rapes, violent assault.etc.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/27/06 at 9:32 pm

Indeed it is...

But it seems concentrated in some places. This one suburb has seen at least a few murders this year, whereas my area is one of the safest. As far as I know, there's never been a murder or homicide commited in my suburb, probably less than a handful of rapes, violent assault.etc.

So about how many homicides does Perth usually have in a year? In San Diego where I live, it averages about 50-60, but if the rate so far this year continues, this years total will easily exceed that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/27/06 at 10:08 pm

Indeed it is...

We had one murder in my town this year. It was of a middle-aged woman, by her middle-aged coworker at a law firm, and it was gruesome, and almost ten years to the day from the last murder in town, which was probably a mob hit. They recently arrested somebody, named Mr. Maisenbacher, whose wife is the guidance counselor at a high school in a neighboring suburb. Most of the crime in my town is theft from the neighboring poorer areas, though we live adjacent to some of the highest crime areas in NY/NJ and the country.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/06 at 5:23 am

Detroit is a summer resort compared to Gary Indiana.

A few years back, this town of about 100,000 people had 130 murders.  :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 6:24 am

Detroit is a summer resort compared to Gary Indiana.

A few years back, this town of about 100,000 people had 130 murders.  :o

Gary...known for two things; violent crime and Michael Jackson.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 6:26 am

So about how many homicides does Perth usually have in a year? In San Diego where I live, it averages about 50-60, but if the rate so far this year continues, this years total will easily exceed that.

Nowhere near the US rate, thankfully. I think the average for the States as a whole is still about 8 times that of Australia. In that aspect I'm thankful I don't live in the 'land of the free and the 'Land of the Brave' (you'd have to be pretty brave to live in some of those neighbourhoods). Perth is still the buglary capital of Australia, though, I know few people who have never been burgled. Lucky we were insured when it happened to us.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 1:07 pm

It's sad to think that less than two weeks ago, the victim was still alive.  It's funny, because when horrible things are happening all around you, you have no idea.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/06 at 7:26 pm

Murder at Mickie-D's is nothing new. It may come as cold comfort to this young woman's loved ones, but back in the '80s, the crazed maniac would storm McDonald's and gun down everybody in the joint!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/mgwhore.gif

What's scary about random crime is that it's, well, random! It could just as well be me sitting there minding my own beeswax and eating chicken nuggets when Michael Myers drives a machete through me! Not really, when you think about it. Random crime is not quite as "random" as the word "random" implies. A pretty teenage girl is ten times more likely to be the victim of violence at the hands of a sex-crazed predator than a dorky thirty-something guy like me! That's just the way it is. Anyway, they say if I don't knock off McD's, I'll die of heart disease. They're right, too. The trans-fatty acids in American McDonald's products is ten times higher than in European McDonald's!

If you don't get killed quick in McDonald's, McDonald's will kill you slowly!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/couto.gif

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 7:50 pm

Murder at Mickie-D's is nothing new. It may come as cold comfort to this young woman's loved ones, but back in the '80s, the crazed maniac would storm McDonald's and gun down everybody in the joint!

What's scary about random crime is that it's, well, random! It could just as well be me sitting there minding my own beeswax and eating chicken nuggets when Michael Myers drives a machete through me! Not really, when you think about it. Random crime is not quite as "random" as the word "random" implies. A pretty teenage girl is ten times more likely to be the victim of violence at the hands of a sex-crazed predator than a dorky thirty-something guy like me! That's just the way it is. Anyway, they say if I don't knock off McD's, I'll die of heart disease. They're right, too. The trans-fatty acids in American McDonald's products is ten times higher than in European McDonald's!

If you don't get killed quick in McDonald's, McDonald's will kill you slowly!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/couto.gif

The guy said he was there to "kill a female".  I guess since a lot of teenage girls work at Mickey D's, and poor Anna was unfortunately the one that did, she died.  She was just in the wrong place, at the wrong time. 

I bet if Maxwell Smart was there instead of her (and I hope you don't have to work at McDonald's  ;)), he would have been fine.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 8:53 pm

The guy said he was there to "kill a female".  I guess since a lot of teenage girls work at Mickey D's, and poor Anna was unfortunately the one that did, she died.  She was just in the wrong place, at the wrong time. 

I bet if Maxwell Smart was there instead of her (and I hope you don't have to work at McDonald's  ;)), he would have been fine.

Serial killers tend to pick their victims a little more carefully, whereas a mass murderer would just go in there and shoot everyone indiscriminately...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/06 at 8:57 pm

It's sad to think that less than two weeks ago, the victim was still alive.  It's funny, because when horrible things are happening all around you, you have no idea.

I know...I stumbled upon her Myspace...it was sad.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/06 at 9:09 pm

\

Yes, that incident became known as the "Big Mac Attack"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/06 at 11:16 pm

Yes, that incident became known as the "Big Mac Attack"

There was the case of James Oliver Huberty (not to be confused with puberty) who mowed down 21 people at a San Diego McDonald's, 7/18/84.

The other one I was thinking of was not a Mickie-D's at all, but Mr. George Hennard at Luby's Cafateria in Killeen, Texas, accent on Kill. This was 10/16/91. Hennard crashed his truck through the front window, whipped out his Glock and Ruger and blew away 24 people. As Wikipedia points out, among the victims were the parents of Suzanna Gratia Hupp. Thus, the Luby's massacre was the gift that kept on giving. Hupp left her gun in her car that day because of concealed weapons prohibition. Hupp became a member of the Texas House where she fought for the concealed permit legislation!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/06 at 11:19 pm

Serial killers tend to pick their victims a little more carefully, whereas a mass murderer would just go in there and shoot everyone indiscriminately...

Yes, I hate it when people fail to distinguish between MASS MURDER and SERIAL MURDER. I wouldn't want to be a serial murderer. Too much time, tedium, evasion, and riddance. I'd rather be a Charles Whitman-type mass murderer. Just blow away 25 poor souls in one wild-eyed afternoon. You get all the fame and its much less work!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger_red.gif

I never worked at McD's, and I dunno if I could handle it. It's a lot of fast-paced, high-pressure work, for absolutely rock-bottom wages, plus you have to wear that godawful uniform. I'll say this for McD's, the stores are generally quite clean, and the counter people are always polite to me. Given that I'm sure they don't always want to be polite, and they put up with quite a bit for a pittance, I'm always polite to them.  I find at other fastfood joints, the order of the day is rude and filthy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/knob.gif

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 11:26 pm

Speaking of the subject of murder, we just recently commemorated the 10-anniversary of the Port Arthur Massacre, the worst shooting in our history. You probably heard a bit about it on the news back in '96, changed the whole gun-laws in the country and everything. It was so big because things like that rarely happen here compared to America. There was a bit of a scuff-up between people who wanted to commemorate the memory of those lost (the Prime Minister included), and those (many who lived through it) who just wanted to forget about it. Not having lived through something so terrible, I don't lean one way or another, but yeah, that's one example.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/06 at 11:34 pm

Speaking of the subject of murder, we just recently celebrated the 10-anniversary of the Port Arthur Massacre, the worst shooting in our history. You probably heard a bit about it on the news back in '96, changed the whole gun-laws in the country and everything. It was so big because things like that rarely happen here compared to America. There was a bit of a scuff-up between people who wanted to commemorate the memory of those lost (the Prime Minister included), and those (many who lived through it) who just wanted to forget about it. Not having lived through something so terrible, I don't lean one way or another, but yeah, that's one example.

Wow! That was ten years ago, wasn't it? Where does the time go! Martin Bryant of Tasmania, what a total wig-out. That guy killed 35 people, an impressive toll even by Texas standards! Thirty-five people is also quite a lot of deaths at one time in little old Tasmania. Adjusted for population ratio, that would be like killing 35,000 people in Texas!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jestera.gif

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 11:39 pm

I've heard that serial murderers often have their crimes spaced out by years of time, whereas spree/mass killers kill a bunch of people at once.  There's a big difference.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/29/06 at 12:10 am

I've heard that serial murderers often have their crimes spaced out by years of time, whereas spree/mass killers kill a bunch of people at once.  There's a big difference.

Yes, the "spree killer" is an important subset of mass murder/serial killers. They're represented by perpetrators such as Charles Starkweather and Andrew Cunanan. These guys KNOW they're going to be caught and/or killed, so they're going to take out as many people as they can.

Serial killers often have a paraphiliac, misogynistic, or ethnic motive. Thus, they establish an easy pattern. If I was going to be a serial murderer, I would be as random as possible. Find a vulnerable victim, walk in shoot 'em dead, and leave. Maybe the victim is an old man, a little kid, a businessman, a teenaged chick, or a middle-aged housewife. Doesn't matter. Shoot 'em and leave. Don't hang around and do funny stuff so you can leave DNA and get yourself caught.

Strictly hypothetical, you understand. I could never. I feel pangs of guilt even if I step on a cat's tail by accident!
:P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 12:13 am

Yes, the "spree killer" is an important subset of mass murder/serial killers. They're represented by perpetrators such as Charles Starkweather and Andrew Cunanan. These guys KNOW they're going to be caught and/or killed, so they're going to take out as many people as they can.

Serial killers often have a paraphiliac, misogynistic, or ethnic motive. Thus, they establish an easy pattern. If I was going to be a serial murderer, I would be as random as possible. Find a vulnerable victim, walk in shoot 'em dead, and leave. Maybe the victim is an old man, a little kid, a businessman, a teenaged chick, or a middle-aged housewife. Doesn't matter. Shoot 'em and leave. Don't hang around and do funny stuff so you can leave DNA and get yourself caught.

Strictly hypothetical, you understand. I could never. I feel pangs of guilt even if I step on a cat's tail by accident!

Actually, that's probably pretty painful to a cat.  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:24 am

Often, to merely kill is not the objective of a serial killer. Those who are psychological disturbed enjoy teasing, toying with and torturing their victims. They gain pleasure from watching their victims suffer before they die, or feel a surge of power whey they squeeze a victim's life out of them slowly with their own hands (sometimes literally). In general, Mass murderers tend not to care so much about things like that. For whatever reason, they just want to KILL, KILL, KILL. Another important overlooked difference.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/01/06 at 5:20 am

If I was going to be a serial murderer, I would be as random as possible. Find a vulnerable victim, walk in shoot 'em dead, and leave. Maybe the victim is an old man, a little kid, a businessman, a teenaged chick, or a middle-aged housewife. Doesn't matter. Shoot 'em and leave. Don't hang around and do funny stuff so you can leave DNA and get yourself caught.

Serial murderers feel COMPELLED to pick victiims according to a pattern and to toy with them or their dead bodies, or to leave clues, or to keep souvenirs.  Generally speaking you do not see much in the way of "shoot and run" serials.  As opposed to spree killers like those guys in DC 4 years ago, or the mass murderers who simply go for maximum kill in a minimum amount of time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 2:31 pm

Often, to merely kill is not the objective of a serial killer. Those who are psychological disturbed enjoy teasing, toying with and torturing their victims. They gain pleasure from watching their victims suffer before they die, or feel a surge of power whey they squeeze a victim's life out of them slowly with their own hands (sometimes literally). In general, Mass murderers tend not to care so much about things like that. For whatever reason, they just want to KILL, KILL, KILL. Another important overlooked difference.

I've actually heard that most serial killers are sex offenders too, probably because both crimes are motivated by getting off on power.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/01/06 at 5:53 pm

I've actually heard that most serial killers are sex offenders too, probably because both crimes are motivated by getting off on power.

Serial killers also tend to have a history of cruelty to animals in their childhood.  They also tend to have a history of being perverts too.  :-\\

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 5:55 pm

Serial killers also tend to have a history of cruelty to animals in their childhood.  They also tend to have a history of being perverts too.  :-\\

They're insane.  It's a disease.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:00 pm

Yes, the too are linked. Often serial killers do derive a twisted sexual pleasure from murder.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 9:03 pm

Yes, the too are linked. Often serial killers do derive a twisted sexual pleasure from murder.

This may also explain why their crimes are often very far apart.  Generally, they may be able to hold back their sickness, but every now and then they'll enter a dark moment and act on it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:10 pm

This may also explain why their crimes are often very far apart.  Generally, they may be able to hold back their sickness, but every now and then they'll enter a dark moment and act on it.

Yes, it sort of builds up over time, just like any 'normal' desire. In most cases, true serial killlers can never be released into society, no matter how much they've appeared to be 'reformed' (not that they should be anyway). So in a way it's a kind of tragic existence, because many can't control their actions.

Check for new replies or respond here...