inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Two-thousand-ten or twenty-ten?

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/27/06 at 1:41 pm

When you think or speak about the years from 2010 onward, how do you say them? I've noticed that when people mention future years of this century they tend to be fairly divided in the ways that they pronounce them: there are those who continue the tradition of saying "two-thousand-something" because it's what they've gotten used to in the past six years, and then there are those who realize (even if only semi-consciously) how economical and preferable it would be to simply say "twenty-something." Not only is saying "two-thousand-thirty-one" needlessly cumbersome when one could just say "twenty-thirty-one" instead, but it has this sort of flashy, futuristic quality that I think is so 1999-2000. But the year TWO-THOUSAND -- with its promise of futuristic space travel and robots and whatever else -- is past, we've got the reality, and I'd prefer if we just ditched pronouncing it that way for the rest of the century. I'll let it slide for this decade since it's already become conventional, but come 2010 I'm going to insist on saying it my way. ;)

What do you think will happen? Will we go through the whole century pronouncing the years either way we please, or will one way become the standard? And which one?

Subject: Re: Two-thousand-ten or twenty-ten?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 1:46 pm

Twenty-ten for me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/27/06 at 2:31 pm

I like Twenty-Ten better as well.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/27/06 at 2:34 pm

I say "twenty something".  I don't recall anyone calling 1906 as "nineteen hundred and six".  It was "nineteen oh six". 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 2:35 pm

Twenty-Ten.  Eighteen-hundreds, nineteen hundreds, twenty hundreds.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 2:35 pm

I say "twenty something".  I don't recall anyone calling 1906 as "nineteen hundred and six".  It was "nineteen oh six". 

Yea that's my reasoning as well, it should be said the way we always used to say it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/17/09 at 3:13 pm

One thing I would look are on formal documents (weddings, showers, diplomas); those will probably use the "two thousand and" spelled out like some are; but currently I'm hearing both used roughly interchangably. (Toyota though prefers Twenty-ten). Now, in short-hand form (for instance, we say '09 as "oh nine"), how will we say '10? "one-zero"?, or simply "ten?"

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/09 at 3:50 pm

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/Funny/NOONECARES.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/17/09 at 5:59 pm

I would prefer to call it...

"Bimillennium Ten"

Written By: Brian06 on 09/17/09 at 6:12 pm

In this country most people are using two thousand (and) ten probably for consistency (it is two thousand nine logically next year is two thousand ten). I still kind of prefer twenty ten but I understand the consistency argument so for now I usually stick with calling it two thousand ten if I'm talking to somebody.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/17/09 at 7:56 pm

Wait, they photoshopped me out of the picture!  ;D

Written By: karen on 09/17/09 at 10:16 pm

One thing I would look are on formal documents (weddings, showers, diplomas); those will probably use the "two thousand and" spelled out like some are; but currently I'm hearing both used roughly interchangably. (Toyota though prefers Twenty-ten). Now, in short-hand form (for instance, we say '09 as "oh nine"), how will we say '10? "one-zero"?, or simply "ten?"

Or even oh ten  ::)

Written By: mooster on 09/19/09 at 8:12 pm

Two thousand and ten

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/09 at 8:27 pm

Back in 1110, did they call it "Eleventy Ten" ? ???

;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/20/09 at 4:24 pm

Bring in 2010!

Written By: Paul on 09/20/09 at 4:57 pm

I'm inclined to pronounce it 'twenty-ten'...

Only because the sodding 'twenty-twelve' Olympics have been force-fed into my brain!  >:(

My sentiments with these sodding Olympics entirely!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/09 at 5:07 pm

Bring in 2010!

I like your attitude, one karamel!

Written By: darkflux on 12/10/10 at 10:19 am

yeah, and i suppose you were alive that long ago?

seriously, either way is grammatically correct, but what people will use is the one that is both easier to say, and has fewer syllables. people are just grammatically lazy like that.

and by the way, i've seen old newsreels where they said "in the year nineteen hundred eleven", so there :P

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/10/10 at 10:38 am

I mostly pronounce this year "two thousand ten." I'm not sure how I'll pronounce 2011, but I know for sure that once 2013 arrives, I'll pronounce it "twenty-thirteen."

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/10/10 at 7:36 pm

I personally prefer twenty-ten. It's shorter and easier.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/10 at 7:53 pm

I personally prefer twenty-ten. It's shorter and easier.

I agree with you Blaze.

Written By: bigdsketch on 12/10/10 at 11:04 pm

I'm definetly all with "twenty ten". It's simpler and to the point, and besides no one in 1993, for example, woulda called it "one thousand nine hundred and ninety-three" like we were doin in the 2000s  8-P

Written By: Brian06 on 12/10/10 at 11:10 pm

I definitely prefer the twenty format for 2010 +, I understand why we said two thousand from 2000-2009, but now it just makes sense to say twenty ten, eleven, etc. When I hear two thousand and ten I honestly cringe a little lmao.

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/10 at 11:51 pm

i've seen old newsreels where they said "in the year nineteen hundred eleven", so there :P

Because you were alive then?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/10 at 11:59 pm

2010 for me

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/10 at 12:00 am

2010 for me
...or MMX

Written By: Howard on 12/11/10 at 6:41 am

twenty ten for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...