inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Questions for my fellow Generation Y members

Written By: sonikuu on 04/28/06 at 7:15 pm

I've noticed there are a lot of members of the younger generation here (including myself) which is pretty surprising for a nostalgia board.  So, I have some questions for you.

1.  Why is it that you like previous decades enough to join a message board about them?
2.  How did you come to like the decades of the past?
3.  What is your favorite decade?
4.  What is your opinion on the 00's?

It should be pretty interesting to get a perspective from the members of Generation Y as to why they like decades from "before their time."  I'll post my answers a bit later.

Subject: Re: Questions for my fellow Generation Y members

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/28/06 at 7:30 pm

1. I like previous decades because me, not being born in them, can read and learn about them from people who were born in those decades.

2. My dad. He talks about "the good ole' days" all the time ;D

3. I would say that it's a tie between the 90's and the 00's.

4. I think the 00's are just ok. I mean, I don't think were getting ripped off as much as some people say, but how would I know when I've never experienced anything else.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/28/06 at 7:33 pm

I've noticed there are a lot of members of the younger generation here (including myself) which is pretty surprising for a nostalgia board.  So, I have some questions for you.

1.  Why is it that you like previous decades enough to join a message board about them?

It should be pretty interesting to get a perspective from the members of Generation Y as to why they like decades from "before their time."  I'll post my answers a bit later.

1. I like analyzing pop culture and really don't like our current one, honestly.
2. Well, my parents, I suppose, and my trusty rock n'roll encyclopedia.
3. It's a tie between the '70s, '80s, and '90s, actually.
4. They suck.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/28/06 at 7:44 pm

1. Well, I joined because of amiright.com, but I like the culture of the past, although I don't visit the decades board much...
2. By listening to music and watching the "I Love the..." series on VH1.
3. I dunno... '60s through '80s... different opinions about each aspect of the culture...
4. It's an ok board... the people are mostly nice, but it can be a bit dead...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/28/06 at 8:15 pm

1.  Why is it that you like previous decades enough to join a message board about them?
I actually didn't join for that particular purpose. Just came across it one day and decided to join.

2.  How did you come to like the decades of the past?
I was tired of most of the rubbishy culture of today that us kids are "supposed" to like, so I started to get more into earlier stuff (mostly 90s at first)

3.  What is your favorite decade?
Lived in: 90s Not lived in: 70s

4.  What is your opinion on the 00's?
Meh... it's alright. Not crazy about it, but no point hating on it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 8:51 pm

I've noticed there are a lot of members of the younger generation here (including myself) which is pretty surprising for a nostalgia board.  So, I have some questions for you.

1.  Why is it that you like previous decades enough to join a message board about them?

It should be pretty interesting to get a perspective from the members of Generation Y as to why they like decades from "before their time."  I'll post my answers a bit later.

1. I love the music and pop culture of the 60s, 70s and 90s, the lifestyle, fashion.etc. I just like the whole 'look' of the 70s.

2. Because they are there, and when studying the present one has to study the past. Largely through my interest in music as well.

3. Between the 60s and 90s, can't really decide.

4. It's pretty passe overall. Not horrible in most aspects, just bland, overly-produced, like a watered done version of the 80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 11:43 pm

I was born in 1990 ... thus, I gained an interest in the '80s.  Also, I've always been an analytical person, so splitting hairs and studying decades is right up my alley.
^See above.
I like the '80s and '90s.  Next would be the '40s and '60s.
They're the best of times and the worst of times.  Politically, they're tumultous, but exciting, pop culturally I'm not crazy about them, but the technology compensates for that.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/29/06 at 12:00 am

1. My childhood was in the '90s and I like discussing the '90s (and 2000s) on inthe00s. I enjoy talking about my memories from the past.
2. Like I said the '90s were my childhood years.
3. Probably the '90s, '00s are pretty close.
4. I generally like and enjoy the '00s. The biggest problem with the '00s though is the political situation in America (it sucks).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/29/06 at 12:18 am

The biggest problem with the '00s though is the political situation in America (it sucks).

Politically, they're tumultous,

The opposite down here in New Zealand. We've had a pretty decent centre-left goverment since 1999.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 12:28 am

The opposite down here in New Zealand. We've had a pretty decent centre-left goverment since 1999.

Is Ms. Helen Clark still P.M.? I know, you can tell I don't follow the news much.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/29/06 at 12:29 am

Is Ms. Helen Clark still P.M.? I know, you can tell I don't follow the news much.
I don't follow the news much either (especially politics... they bore me to no end!)

And yes she is.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/29/06 at 1:46 am

I see the topic has picked up some steam.  I see that music has definitely played a big part in many people's interest in past decades.  Certainly, it was part of it for me.  Anyway, I'll give my answers now:

1.  I like past decades because I hated the culture of the time (2002-2003 at the time) and was going through a really rough life at the time.  I chose to look back to previous decades, rather than the decade I was so unhappy with.
2.  See above.  Also, as a child, I was exposed to many retro influences.  Even though my earliest childhood memories are mostly concentrated in the mid-90's, I was exposed to a lot of 80's and early 90's stuff.  I led a quasi-80's childhood in the 90's.  Pretty cool actually.
3.  A close tie between the 80's and 90's.  Probably because that was the stuff I was exposed to when I was young.
4.  I used to hate the 00's, but now I actually kind of like them.  Sure, there are things I hate and wish would go away, but there's plenty of good things as well.

Written By: Andydrew on 04/30/06 at 6:58 pm

I liked the music of the past decades, and i like a lot of the movies and tv shows from the past decades. I just think it would be a great time to live in, i also liked some of the fashions that were popular of some of the past decades as well. But i do hate the 50s and 40s though.

most probably because i liked a lot of the movies, tv shows, video games* and music from that time, also because of the cultures of the decades, i think decades like the 60's 70's and 80's were very interesting a lot because of their (pop) cultures.

Thats a hard one i like the 70's and 80's the best but I'm gonna have to say the seventies, the flower child and disco era,lol.

The culture i think is unique in quiet a few ways, there are some things i don't really like about this decade, like rap of this decade, this decade has more technological and economical advantages. this  decade is more diversified the the last four decades. I hate the pollution problems we're having like global warming and the holes in the o-zone layer(if we even have that any more).
I have mixed feeling about the fashions of this decade, i like how the fashion have become more calmer looking, but some of the other fashion, like "slutty" fashions i don't really like.
Some, only some of the music this decade is really clique like, but there are new genras in this decade though which i quiet like, like goth, emo.
I also like the fact that most parents of the teens in this decade were teenagers in the 60s and 70s. I thinik thats really cool considering that they were like the first generations of teens to actually have a pop-culture, and have masive movements which I'mk really proud of by the way, so i really respect the people who were teens of the 60s and 70s.

Well that about answers all your questions, there are probably more things i want to add but i can't remeber thaem right now, so yeah, thanks for asking people like me these questions. it lets me know that we're being noticed, lol.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/30/06 at 7:15 pm

I've noticed there are a lot of members of the younger generation here (including myself) which is pretty surprising for a nostalgia board.  So, I have some questions for you.

It should be pretty interesting to get a perspective from the members of Generation Y as to why they like decades from "before their time."  I'll post my answers a bit later.

I don't consider myself Gen Y, but I'll answer anyway since I'm a youngin'. 

1. Because I love talking about past decades; politics, music, movies, clothes, style, all that jazz.
2. I guess because my parents were baby boomers and I grew up listening to a lot of the music they listened to and watching re-runs of the old TV shows they used to watch.  I was more exposed to the decades they lived through than the ones I lived through.
3. The 1960s.  Flower power!
4. I don't know, it's too soon to tell. 

Written By: Criz on 05/01/06 at 4:36 am

I was born in 1984 and just grew up with 80s infleunces all around me. I've always loved music from the era, and when I hit my teens I realised how much I loved the 80s, and then joined this board!

I don't mind some parts of the current decade - I always used to say that I wished I was born in 1970 so I'd be a teen in the 80s, but nowadays isn't that bad. For me it's the music and culture that I love the most about the 80s - for other issues, it was a pretty troubled decade. I know that nowadays isn't that much better politically - but for me and my music, there's alot of great music and styles around - even though I throw in a little 80s to most things I wear and most cd compilations I make ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/06 at 3:51 pm

1.Not really sure. I just have an intrest in the pop culture of the past.
2.I first became interested in past decades when I watche I love the 80's on VH1 about 3 years ago.
3.The 80's
4.There alright. Not that good but not that bad.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 5:37 pm

I was born in 1984 and just grew up with 80s infleunces all around me. I've always loved music from the era, and when I hit my teens I realised how much I loved the 80s, and then joined this board!

I don't mind some parts of the current decade - I always used to say that I wished I was born in 1970 so I'd be a teen in the 80s, but nowadays isn't that bad. For me it's the music and culture that I love the most about the 80s - for other issues, it was a pretty troubled decade. I know that nowadays isn't that much better politically - but for me and my music, there's alot of great music and styles around - even though I throw in a little 80s to most things I wear and most cd compilations I make ;)

In the '80s, the movie Donnie Darko wasn't out yet :)

Written By: Criz on 05/02/06 at 5:28 am

In the '80s, the movie Donnie Darko wasn't out yet :)

Hehe - true! Maybe that's just one of the reasons why I don't mind being young in the 00s :)

By the way - Has anyone ever told you that you're obsessed! ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 5:29 am

Hehe - true! Maybe that's just one of the reasons why I don't mind being young in the 00s :)

By the way - Has anyone ever told you that you're obsessed! ;)

Not about DD ... but yeah I'm obsessive  ;D

But then again, i AM donnie darko  ;)  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 7:38 am

Not about DD ... but yeah I'm obsessive  ;D

But then again, i AM donnie darko  ;)  ;D

You're slightly strange too... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/catmilk.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/camper.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bouncingstegi.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/boldred.gif

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 12:32 pm

You're slightly strange too... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/catmilk.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/camper.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bouncingstegi.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/boldred.gif

Same to you  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 12:39 pm

Same to you  ;)

It's a badge I wear with pride. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 12:40 pm

It's a badge I wear with pride. :)

Me also :)

Being normal is a pretty mundane existence.  Every person in history is a little "off" in some way or another.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 1:14 pm

Me also :)

Being normal is a pretty mundane existence.  Every person in history is a little "off" in some way or another.

Geniuses are never ordinary. Remember that.  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 1:16 pm

Geniuses are never ordinary. Remember that.  :)

Take Einstein, for instance.  He was rather strange. And of course there's Michael Jackson  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 1:24 pm

I think every Genius needs their inner demons. You have to really experience hardship to know true joy, to spur you on to greater heights.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 1:26 pm

I think every Genius needs their inner demons. You have to really experience hardship to know true joy, to spur you on to greater heights.

I'm actually rather insane.  It used to be a loud insane, but now it's a quiet, subdued insane.  But I find ways to make good out of it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 1:32 pm

I'm actually rather insane.  It used to be a loud insane, but now it's a quiet, subdued insane.  But I find ways to make good out of it.

Thou needest not mention so!

Do you ever pretend to speak in another accent/voice when talking to complete strangers? That's my next ambition, to get the courage to do just that. Now that's strange  :D :D :D.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 1:53 pm

Thou needest not mention so!

Do you ever pretend to speak in another accent/voice when talking to complete strangers? That's my next ambition, to get the courage to do just that. Now that's strange  :D :D :D.

No, BUT I speak in faux English, Australian, and oddly enough, CANADIAN (which to your ears probably sounds like my California/Midwest accent) accents.
Wait, come to think of it, I have faked being Canadian before.  Funny thing is, being that Canada and the States are both Western European-based "melting pots" people might not notice I was faking.

You should try to fake an American accent ... I've always wanted to hear a person from outside the States do that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/02/06 at 2:55 pm

Voices I'm good at I've really wanted to fake:

Blue-collar Joe Pesci Jersey (me when I'm angry, habitually)
Gay queen
Child molester
Cockney
Brooklynese
Bostonian
Southern aristocrat
German
Old-timey Yiddish.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 2:56 pm

Voices I'm good at I've really wanted to fake:

Blue-collar Joe Pesci Jersey (me when I'm angry, habitually)
Gay queen
Child molester
Cockney
Brooklynese
Bostonian
Southern aristocrat
German
Old-timey Yiddish.

I often speak a super-exaggerated Canadian accent.  With respect to Canada; I love Canada.  Believe it or not I do it in tribute of Canada.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/02/06 at 5:48 pm

I often speak a super-exaggerated Canadian accent.  With respect to Canada; I love Canada.  Believe it or not I do it in tribute of Canada.  ;D

Is your accent more Bay Area ("hella", etc.), or slow, plodding PNW?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 6:45 pm

Is your accent more Bay Area ("hella", etc.), or slow, plodding PNW?

Hmmm.. it's more Bay Area. Fast.  But I emphaSize S's like PNWers do.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 9:08 pm

That's another reason you should put a voice clip up...unless you're too embaressed. But, no pressure. Dunno if you've heard my voice yet :-[.

It seems everyone else can do an American accent, but the Americans have trouble doing other accents, particularly Australian. Everytime they and say, 'Gooday mate' it brings shudders down my spine.

Check for new replies or respond here...