inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Student Walkouts

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/28/06 at 8:18 pm

I'm sure most of you have heard about the recent protests about immigration. You also made of heard about the student walk outs. At my high school almost 200 students walked out of class, and most of them had no idea what they were marching for, they just wanted to get out of class. I think it was a irrational decision to walk out. I mean if you want to make changes, walking out of class isn't really the best idea. And then I've heard about May 1st being a national walk out day or something. I want to know what you guys think about all this.

Subject: Re: Student Walkouts

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 8:48 pm

I'm sure most of you have heard about the recent protests about immigration. You also made of heard about the student walk outs. At my high school almost 200 students walked out of class, and most of them had no idea what they were marching for, they just wanted to get out of class. I think it was a irrational decision to walk out. I mean if you want to make changes, walking out of class isn't really the best idea. And then I've heard about May 1st being a national walk out day or something. I want to know what you guys think about all this.

Now the students are striking? What's the world coming too... :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/06 at 10:43 pm

Now the students are striking? What's the world coming too... :D

Striking students are big improvement on the old days.  A few centuries ago, all we had to look at were the peasants, and they were revolting.  *rimshot*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/06 at 11:00 pm

A. I think this should be on the politics board, because I'm about to say...

B. The rightwingers WANT the students to "walkout." What they REALLY don't want is the students to come back! If all the students walked out and never came back, the Right could fulfill one of its biggest wet dreams...close all the public schools!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 04/29/06 at 6:39 am

B. The rightwingers WANT the students to "walkout." What they REALLY don't want is the students to come back! If all the students walked out and never came back, the Right could fulfill one of its biggest wet dreams...close all the public schools!!!

An uneducated workforce is their best defense.    ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/06 at 7:27 am

Who said the right wants to close all the public schools?  There are LOTS of good public schools.

The problem is the laggard public schools that are rife with corruption and incompetence... and the apologists that support those corrupt institutions.  Institutions that have existed under Democrat ad Republican presidents alike.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/01/06 at 1:18 pm

Hey, them thar youngin's, we were have walkout's in JrHigh while you kids were still in diapers or even before some of you were even born!

I remember on occasion when a teacher got on the defense and said that a student would be a trash collector is he didn't shape up. One of the student's father was one and got up. Almost everyone in the class got up and left school. I really don't think most were in support of the guy, but rather used the opportunity to skippout on school.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/01/06 at 1:27 pm

My sister's H.S. (that she just graduated from) is the best in the state of Georgia.  New Trier H.S. is the best public H.S. in the state of Illinois. 

Not all public schools suck and not all of them should be closed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/06 at 5:35 pm

Who said the right wants to close all the public schools?  There are LOTS of good public schools.

The problem is the laggard public schools that are rife with corruption and incompetence... and the apologists that support those corrupt institutions.  Institutions that have existed under Democrat ad Republican presidents alike.

Yes, there are LOTS of good public schools, but the the right just dosen't want to fund them.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/06 at 5:42 pm

Yes, there are LOTS of good public schools, but the the right just dosen't want to fund them.

The only business the Right wants the federal government in is war and punshment. The "free market" should take care of schools. The Left might want "outcome-based education," but the Right definitely income-based education!

Written By: STAR70 on 06/01/06 at 5:54 pm

since students can't vote, they vote with their feet. BLOWOUT!!! BLOWOUT!!!

Written By: wndysbg on 06/02/06 at 3:11 pm

I am a public school teacher.  I teach 7/8 grade - Language Arts at a K-8 school.  This is my 17th year of teaching so I have been around for awhile and I have seen many things in public schools.    As far as the quality of education . . . . .  I have worked with some of the best teachers in the state and some of the worst.    I do agree that bad teachers can bring a school down, and a good teacher can only do so much with what he/she is given.  Example - I have an 8th grader who is failing everything and has failed everything all year.  He will not graduate.  When we asked the mother what her plans were to help her son, because parents are a VERY important factor in education, she responded., "I will pray for him."  That's it, that's her plan.  I believe in the power of prayer, but since that meeting I have not seen God or any of his angels helping this kid out. There are 4 of us who have worked with this kid, we have tried all kinds of things, but some kids just don't care and when their parents will not support you and help their child, what can you do?  Public education takes a lot of blame for societies woes, but public education does not get to pick who they educate.  The kids that walk through my door each day, regardless of who they are, will always receive the best I have to offer.  Unfortunately, many do not want to accept it. I try to touch and change lives everyday, but sadly it does not always work.    OKAY - off my high horse - sorry to go on so long - but this subject does cut close to the heart.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/06 at 4:03 pm

I am a public school teacher.  I teach 7/8 grade - Language Arts at a K-8 school.  This is my 17th year of teaching so I have been around for awhile and I have seen many things in public schools.    As far as the quality of education . . . . .  I have worked with some of the best teachers in the state and some of the worst.    I do agree that bad teachers can bring a school down, and a good teacher can only do so much with what he/she is given.  Example - I have an 8th grader who is failing everything and has failed everything all year.  He will not graduate.  When we asked the mother what her plans were to help her son, because parents are a VERY important factor in education, she responded., "I will pray for him."  That's it, that's her plan.  I believe in the power of prayer, but since that meeting I have not seen God or any of his angels helping this kid out. There are 4 of us who have worked with this kid, we have tried all kinds of things, but some kids just don't care and when their parents will not support you and help their child, what can you do?  Public education takes a lot of blame for societies woes, but public education does not get to pick who they educate.  The kids that walk through my door each day, regardless of who they are, will always receive the best I have to offer.  Unfortunately, many do not want to accept it. I try to touch and change lives everyday, but sadly it does not always work.    OKAY - off my high horse - sorry to go on so long - but this subject does cut close to the heart.

Applause to you (and welcome to the boards).  I am a certified K-6 teacher even though I do not use my certification. I have been in the classroom (at public schools) so I do know what it takes to educate kids (which is part of the reason why I am not teaching). My beef is NOT with public schools or with teachers at public school. I know there are MANY, MANY good ones (as well as not so good ones). My beef is with the fact that many public schools are not funded the way they should be. I remember when I was student teaching (in 5/6 grade) and there was only 1 package of contruction paper to last the entire school year. Many books were totally outdated, etc. I'm sure you, as a teacher probably have the same issues. Teachers are not being paid what they should be and I know many who use their own $$$ to buy supplies. My husband (a retired college professor) always said, "I knew going into teaching was not going to make me a millionaire nor diid I take a vow of poverty."

Cat

Written By: wndysbg on 06/02/06 at 5:31 pm

Applause to you (and welcome to the boards).  I am a certified K-6 teacher even though I do not use my certification. I have been in the classroom (at public schools) so I do know what it takes to educate kids (which is part of the reason why I am not teaching). My beef is NOT with public schools or with teachers at public school. I know there are MANY, MANY good ones (as well as not so good ones). My beef is with the fact that many public schools are not funded the way they should be. I remember when I was student teaching (in 5/6 grade) and there was only 1 package of contruction paper to last the entire school year. Many books were totally outdated, etc. I'm sure you, as a teacher probably have the same issues. Teachers are not being paid what they should be and I know many who use their own $$$ to buy supplies. My husband (a retired college professor) always said, "I knew going into teaching was not going to make me a millionaire nor diid I take a vow of poverty."

You hit the proverbial nail on the head.  Money for public schools goes to the wrong places. Schools are underfunded.  I work with one of the best science teachers I have ever met and she pours a fortune into her classroom, buying things for the kids to dissect and other supplies.  The students actually enjoy going to her class - imagine a 13 year liking to go to science.  Oh - the things we could do if we had the money.  :)

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...