inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Much Does '90s Music Influence '00s Music?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/29/06 at 8:03 am

I'd say it does, to a certain degree, but the influence is only medium. Probably the most influential '90s groups on mid-'00s rock are Ben Folds Five, Weezer, Pavement, Beck, Guided by Voices, Hootie and the Blowfish, Modest Mouse, Blink 182, NOFX, and Green Day, and then on glam hop (including both rap and R&B), stuff like TLC and Destiny's Child is inarguably pretty influential, probably moreso than gangsta rap. Though not all R&B, stuff like Mariah Carey's early-mid '90s work, Boyz II Men, and Toni Braxton is very un-'00s.

Subject: Re: How Much Does '90s Music Influence '00s Music?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 4:52 pm

I think most all of the glam rap of the '00s is '90s-influenced, however Crunk is something that's distinctly '00s.  Pop is influenced by late '90s teen pop.  "Clear Channel" rock is pretty much stuck in 1995, although not as good as music actually from 1995.

Emo has some roots in the '90s, but it's not partially '90s at all, at least not any more than Grunge is partially '80s.

'00s R&B is almost exactly like '90s R&B, except a little less flashy and more hip-hop influenced. 

Overall I'd say '90s and '00s music are about 50% identical.  As opposed to '80s and '90s music being maybe 30% identical.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/29/06 at 4:58 pm

I think most all of the glam rap of the '00s is '90s-influenced, however Crunk is something that's distinctly '00s.  Pop is influenced by late '90s teen pop.  "Clear Channel" rock is pretty much stuck in 1995, although not as good as music actually from 1995.

Emo has some roots in the '90s, but it's not partially '90s at all, at least not any more than Grunge is partially '80s.

'00s R&B is almost exactly like '90s R&B, except a little less flashy and more hip-hop influenced. 

Overall I'd say '90s and '00s music are about 50% identical.  As opposed to '80s and '90s music being maybe 30% identical.

Yeah, "Clear Channel Rock" is stuck sort of in the late '90s or at latest maybe 2002, with the post-grunge and nu metal playlist. Emo and '00s "indie rock" and indiemo has roots in the '90s, but it isn't "'90s" at all, even if there's the influence present of '90s pop-punk, lo-fi indie rock, and "nerd rock" like Weezer and Ben Folds Five, along with Fugazi. There are some definite differences between the R&B of the '90s and '00s; pure A/C R&B like Whitney Houston or Toni Braxton or Boyz II Men with no hip-hop inflection isn't around anymore, about 75% of it is somewhat stylistically related to glam rap.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 5:02 pm

Yeah, "Clear Channel Rock" is stuck sort of in the late '90s or at latest maybe 2002, with the post-grunge and nu metal playlist. Emo and '00s "indie rock" and indiemo has roots in the '90s, but it isn't "'90s" at all, even if there's the influence present of '90s pop-punk, lo-fi indie rock, and "nerd rock" like Weezer and Ben Folds Five, along with Fugazi. There are some definite differences between the R&B of the '90s and '00s; pure A/C R&B like Whitney Houston or Toni Braxton or Boyz II Men with no hip-hop inflection isn't around anymore, about 75% of it is somewhat stylistically related to glam rap.

Indie rock is actually something I associate with the second half ot the 1990s as well as the '00s, but they're somewhat different than the '00s hipsters, in the '90s hipsters seemed to have this retro-'70s obsession and had a different set of "hipster movies" such as Pulp Fiction, and tended to be more "slacker-ish" I guess you can say, almost grungy in a way, as opposed to the '00s Myspace indiemo which has a retro-'80s/classic rock thing going on and are obsessed basically with nerd sheesh like Japanese anime and dorky emo fashion, along with geeky, depressing indie rock.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/29/06 at 5:04 pm

The 90's definitely has a big influence on 00's music.  Perhaps most prominent is Grunge's influence on Nu-Metal and, subsequently, Emo.  Grunge made angst cool and without that influence, Rock would either be dead (let's face it, Rock music in 1990 sucked) or would be extremely similar to Rap.  Also, Gangsta Rap still influences Rap music as some rappers, such as 50 Cent, are STILL milking the gangsta image for all it's worth.  

On the whole though, I'd say 00's music has more parallels with the 80's than with the 90's.  Rap is the 00's version of Hair Metal, what with it's excess, obsession with parties, girls, etc.  Emo and Indie Rock are influenced by 80's Alternative, but they are basically the 00's equivalent of New Wave.  Emo, for example, started out as part of the Punk Rock scene but eventually turned into it's own music genre with effeminate guys with makeup (and occasionally ties) taking over.  Sounds kind of like New Wave to me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 5:10 pm

The 90's definitely has a big influence on 00's music.  Perhaps most prominent is Grunge's influence on Nu-Metal and, subsequently, Emo.  Grunge made angst cool and without that influence, Rock would either be dead (let's face it, Rock music in 1990 sucked) or would be extremely similar to Rap.  Also, Gangsta Rap still influences Rap music as some rappers, such as 50 Cent, are STILL milking the gangsta image for all it's worth.  

On the whole though, I'd say 00's music has more parallels with the 80's than with the 90's.  Rap is the 00's version of Hair Metal, what with it's excess, obsession with parties, girls, etc.  Emo and Indie Rock are influenced by 80's Alternative, but they are basically the 00's equivalent of New Wave.  Emo, for example, started out as part of the Punk Rock scene but eventually turned into it's own music genre with effeminate guys with makeup (and occasionally ties) taking over.  Sounds kind of like New Wave to me.

I agree with all of this.  The final "classic" rock from the years 1990 and 1991, and hell the late '80s too sucked ass.  The reason rock went grunge, then into a snorefest/shut the f*ck up complex, and then finally emo is because traditional "party" rock was so worn out by the late '80s and early '90s that people were simply tired of it.  Plus, rap offered a replacement.  Glam rap really is the '00s equivalent of hair metal, which is why I call it "glam rap" as opposed to "gangsta" rap.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/29/06 at 5:11 pm

Indie rock is actually something I associate with the second half ot the 1990s as well as the '00s, but they're somewhat different than the '00s hipsters, in the '90s hipsters seemed to have this retro-'70s obsession and had a different set of "hipster movies" such as Pulp Fiction, and tended to be more "slacker-ish" I guess you can say, almost grungy in a way, as opposed to the '00s Myspace indiemo which has a retro-'80s/classic rock thing going on and are obsessed basically with nerd sheesh like Japanese anime and dorky emo fashion, along with geeky, depressing indie rock.

Yeah, Pavement-style/Beck-style hipster rock was around in the second half of the '90s, but it was really just a descendent of late '80s college-rock like R.E.M and various other influences. '90s hipsters were pretty different than '00s hipsters in that they were still slackerish and grungey: they didn't care as much about their appearance and having the "right" clothing, music, furniture etc., they were more down-to-earth, and as you mentioned, they had a retro-'70s obsession. They weren't all that different than the mid-late '80s Thurston Moore sort of hipster. The total, mass-media, materialistic '00s hipster is absolutely obsessed with retro-'80s, buying hundreds of dollars of clothing, starving themselves to achieve a metrosexual appearance, the "new hot thing", and maintaining a certain state of expensive artiness and snootiness. As well as nerd sheesh like cardigans.

I agree with that...emo/indie is the new new wave, and glam rap is the new hair metal of this newer, crappier '80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 5:20 pm

I agree with that...emo/indie is the new new wave, and glam rap is the new hair metal of this newer, crappier '80s.

Well when you think about it indie and emo are very derived from new wave and synth pop, and also from the music of The Beatles and the Beach Boys.  On the emo side, the Killers, the Bravery, Panic! At The Disco, Death Cab, Action Action, etc. are all descended from New Order, Joy Division, etc, whereas on the indie side Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, etc. derive influence from artists like the Talking Heads.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/29/06 at 5:42 pm

Well when you think about it indie and emo are very derived from new wave and synth pop, and also from the music of The Beatles and the Beach Boys.  On the emo side, the Killers, the Bravery, Panic! At The Disco, Death Cab, Action Action, etc. are all descended from New Order, Joy Division, etc, whereas on the indie side Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, etc. derive influence from artists like the Talking Heads.

Si, si. Where do you think stuff like Bright Eyes and the Decembrists fits in, in terms of influence?

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/29/06 at 6:00 pm

i think  the R&B and rap songs had a more raw stripped down beats in the 90's and i think overall rap and R&B sounded much better in the 90's i miss 90's music so bad  :\'(

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/29/06 at 6:08 pm

Crunk may be distinctly '00s but it was around in the '90s, wasn't so popular like today but it's been around since the early '90s I believe.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 6:37 pm

Si, si. Where do you think stuff like Bright Eyes and the Decembrists fits in, in terms of influence?

I just heard a little Decrembrists ... they seem punk/new wave/Beatles influenced, like much of Indie is.

Crunk may be distinctly '00s but it was around in the '90s, wasn't so popular like today but it's been around since the early '90s I believe.

In the South in clubs, yeah, but that's not really enough to count for mainstream '90s credit.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/29/06 at 10:10 pm

I just heard a little Decrembrists ... they seem punk/new wave/Beatles influenced, like much of Indie is.

In the South in clubs, yeah, but that's not really enough to count for mainstream '90s credit.

Rap in the '90s was extremely coastally dominated, the most popular rappers were either from NYC or L.A.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:31 am

Rap in the '90s was extremely coastally dominated, the most popular rappers were either from NYC or L.A.

Cos those were not only the centres of Black Urban culture, but they were right in the neighbourhood of the popular culture distribution nodes of L.A. and NYC. But it's strange that cities like Chicago, St. Louis.etc were never really big contributors to rap, or were in the rap-spotlight in the 90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 2:48 am

Cos those were not only the centres of Black Urban culture, but they were right in the neighbourhood of the popular culture distribution nodes of L.A. and NYC. But it's strange that cities like Chicago, St. Louis.etc were never really big contributors to rap, or were in the rap-spotlight in the 90s.

St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit started to be big rap cities in the early '00s, about the same time Southern rap started to be big and rap from NYC/Jersey and Los Angeles took a hit.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 3:34 am

St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit started to be big rap cities in the early '00s, about the same time Southern rap started to be big and rap from NYC/Jersey and Los Angeles took a hit.

Good or bad, Detroit became famous on the back of Eminem. Though unlike previous 'black rappers' of the Vanilla Ice variety, at least he had some cred among the 'Rap establishment.'

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 11:19 am

Good or bad, Detroit became famous on the back of Eminem. Though unlike previous 'black rappers' of the Vanilla Ice variety, at least he had some cred among the 'Rap establishment.'

Detroit is home to another "blackting" musician, Madonna, whose music ultimately fits more into the "black music" canon, with its heavy Motown, disco, and gospel influences.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/30/06 at 7:07 pm

most black people i know think madonna is stupid but i love her music from the 90's and some of the 80's

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 8:51 pm

Detroit was once possibly at the heart of American pop-culture in the early 60s with Motown, and when the region was so economically prosperous. Now it's just a grey area on the map, a rust-heap throwback to the age of progression, reminiscences of past glories dotting the ghettos in closed down car-manufacturing plants, dying malls.etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 9:04 pm

Detroit was once possibly at the heart of American pop-culture in the early 60s with Motown, and when the region was so economically prosperous. Now it's just a grey area on the map, a rust-heap throwback to the age of progression, reminiscences of past glories dotting the ghettos in closed down car-manufacturing plants, dying malls.etc.

Oh God no, that's a massive misperception...there are huge, prosperous suburbs with thriving economies, and there're other companies besides the car-manufacturing ones. And plenty of thriving factories for various concerns, it has some of the country's most prosperous retail space. The city itself sucks, but the suburbs are some of the best in the country...I think that foreigners to a certain degree misperceive the rust belt, no offense.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 9:08 pm

Oh God no, that's a massive misperception...there are huge, prosperous suburbs with thriving economies, and there're other companies besides the car-manufacturing ones. And plenty of thriving factories for various concerns, it has some of the country's most prosperous retail space. The city itself sucks, but the suburbs are some of the best in the country...I think that foreigners to a certain degree misperceive the rust belt, no offense.

Yes, the city I mean. What's happening to the American city? Though we in Australia experienced the same exodus from the city to the 'burbs from the 50s into the 60s, 70s and 80s, at least we're seeing a vibrant re-surgence back into the cities. It seems that, aside from a few examples, this isn't really happening in American cities or only to a limited degree.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 9:09 pm

Yes, the city I mean. What's happening to the American city? Though we in Australia experienced the same exodus from the city to the 'burbs from the 50s into the 60s, 70s and 80s, at least we're seeing a vibrant re-surgence back into the cities. It seems that, aside from a few examples, this isn't really happening in American cities or only to a limited degree.

I also think the way they're doing it is wrong, it just attracts yuppies and not honest, working people, and doesn't include the poor or even the middle-class, bringing in endless chain stores, etc.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 9:13 pm

I also think the way they're doing it is wrong, it just attracts yuppies and not honest, working people, and doesn't include the poor or even the middle-class, bringing in endless chain stores, etc.

There problem is simple. Fuel, and to a lesser extent automobiles, are too cheap (thankfully, that situation is being rectified)...Fewer cars = more people out in the street = more vibrant cities.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 10:53 pm

I agree with all of this.  The final "classic" rock from the years 1990 and 1991, and hell the late '80s too sucked ass.  The reason rock went grunge, then into a snorefest/shut the f*ck up complex, and then finally emo is because traditional "party" rock was so worn out by the late '80s and early '90s that people were simply tired of it.  Plus, rap offered a replacement.  Glam rap really is the '00s equivalent of hair metal, which is why I call it "glam rap" as opposed to "gangsta" rap.

Even though the '70s and '80s are distinctly different (especially pop culturally and fashion, and a good deal of music too), they definitely do have that "party rock"/classic rock quotient in common. You could well argue 1973-1991 were the Party Rock years (even though some '60s/early '70s rock was definitely fun, it had more of a revolutionary slant to it).

So yeah, I can definitely see why grunge and rap stormed in around 1992/93 for good (imagine what the '90s would've been like without that).

Overall though, I'd say '90s music influences '00s music with its basic formulas (Disney/teenpop, rap, some form of alternative rock, R&B, some country) and attitude, but not much from the sound itself anymore. 2003 was the last year clearly '90slike songs were still kinda cool.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/30/06 at 11:10 pm

Even though the '70s and '80s are distinctly different (especially pop culturally and fashion, and a good deal of music too), they definitely do have that "party rock"/classic rock quotient in common. You could well argue 1973-1991 were the Party Rock years (even though some '60s/early '70s rock was definitely fun, it had more of a revolutionary slant to it).

So yeah, I can definitely see why grunge and rap stormed in around 1992/93 for good (imagine what the '90s would've been like without that).

Overall though, I'd say '90s music influences '00s music with its basic formulas (Disney/teenpop, rap, some form of alternative rock, R&B, some country) and attitude, but not much from the sound itself anymore. 2003 was the last year clearly '90slike songs were still kinda cool.

I agree. I think you'd actually be surprised how uncool and passe most '90s music is.  Aside from the very coolest music from that era, such as Nirvana, Snoop Dogg, etc., must of the music of the 1990s is relatively forgotten. But still, the formula of popular music has been relatively unchanged since 1997.  Even crunk and emo are really evolutions of gangsta and pop punk, which are both very '90s genres.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/30/06 at 11:14 pm

'90s music definitely influnences '00s music a lot, even though the '90s and '00s are quite a bit different, the '90s are very influential on this decade.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:02 am

I agree. I think you'd actually be surprised how uncool and passe most '90s music is.  Aside from the very coolest music from that era, such as Nirvana, Snoop Dogg, etc., must of the music of the 1990s is relatively forgotten. But still, the formula of popular music has been relatively unchanged since 1997.  Even crunk and emo are really evolutions of gangsta and pop punk, which are both very '90s genres.

What, are you living in a hole? 90s music is unbelievably influential, much more than you give it credit for, and 90s culture is still very much alive and well. I don't want to go into a whole long spiel about it, but the 90s are not to be under-estimated.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 2:28 pm

What, are you living in a hole? 90s music is unbelievably influential, much more than you give it credit for, and 90s culture is still very much alive and well. I don't want to go into a whole long spiel about it, but the 90s are not to be under-estimated.

I do pretty much live in a hole  ;D

But yeah, it's highly influential, like I've said the '00s are in many ways a "New Nineties", but many of the actual music artists, etc. from the 1990s are largely forgotten today.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 4:10 pm

I do pretty much live in a hole  ;D

But yeah, it's highly influential, like I've said the '00s are in many ways a "New Nineties", but many of the actual music artists, etc. from the 1990s are largely forgotten today.

The only way the '00s are a "new nineties" is on the surface...they're quite different, WAY more than the '70s were than the '60s.

'90s culture is under the surface, I love it personally, but its sort of dead at the moment.

Other things the '70s and '80s have in common...undue flashiness of the rhinestone style, bad, bad hair.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 5:38 pm

The only way the '00s are a "new nineties" is on the surface...they're quite different, WAY more than the '70s were than the '60s.

'90s culture is under the surface, I love it personally, but its sort of dead at the moment.

Other things the '70s and '80s have in common...undue flashiness of the rhinestone style, bad, bad hair.

I actually some of the less common '80s styles, like the ones that would be considered "dorky" back then.  For instance, like what Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald look like in the Brat Pack movies is quite classy.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 5:46 pm

I actually some of the less common '80s styles, like the ones that would be considered "dorky" back then.  For instance, like what Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald look like in the Brat Pack movies is quite classy.

Yeah, Anthony Michael Hall was hot in the brat pack pics, and pretty cool then. So was the way that the "college rock" scene dressed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 5:50 pm

Yeah, Anthony Michael Hall was hot in the brat pack pics, and pretty cool then. So was the way that the "college rock" scene dressed.

Really? I think the way Ringwald dressed in the '80s would be quite stylish in the '00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...