inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Progression of Technology and Popular Culture and the Relationship between..

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 3:31 am

...between each,

Not having an technologists/sociologists/pop-cultural analysts perspective, all I can do is conjecture and pontificate, but it seems to me the particular 'style' or 'trends' in pop culture are driven predominantly by technology and technological progression rather than social movements. Take the '50s which seemed a very conservative, modern era; it was the most economically prosperous period in the history of the United States, and hence the culture would revolve around the ideals of hard-working productiveness. The rock explosion of the 60s was indeed a large part due to to technology. New recording technologies such as the 16-track, reverb-rooms were actually responsible for rock and 'rock and roll.' Today's high-mobility, seemingly individualistic society seems driven by what technology has wrought; we're becoming more self-absorbed because of the 'benefits' of technologies such as the internet.

So the point is, I think the cultural identity of each era is profoundly shaped by technology, over anything else. Technology both imprisons us, and enables new frontiers to be crossed...

Subject: Re: The Progression of Technology and Popular Culture and the Relationship betwe

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:20 am

I suspected this thread wouldn't get hits...the question was a bit of a mess..

Subject: Re: The Progression of Technology and Popular Culture and the Relationship between..

Written By: Andydrew on 05/02/06 at 3:28 am

Yeah, I have always thought that too.
I know what you mean. Like for one instance, I don't know if you could consider this popular culture, but, like how hardly any kids are playing in the streets anymore because they've got their video games, tv and computers and other tech. I have also noticed that when any new technology comes out, everyone kinda gets all excited because it would probably save them trouble in whateva task it helps/dose(except for entertainment technologies), but by eliminating that effort needed by using all this technology (which has been made over the last century and this decade), I think its given people more room/time to be able to expirement more, socialy, and by using the latest technology of the time combined as a kind of backdrop(if that makes any sense), be able to create all types of things which all kinda come together to make a "pop culture"(if that makes any sense).

Subject: Re: The Progression of Technology and Popular Culture and the Relationship between..

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 7:23 am

Yeah, I have always thought that too.
I know what you mean. Like for one instance, I don't know if you could consider this popular culture, but, like how hardly any kids are playing in the streets anymore because they've got their video games, tv and computers and other tech. I have also noticed that when any new technology comes out, everyone kinda gets all excited because it would probably save them trouble in whateva task it helps/dose(except for entertainment technologies), but by eliminating that effort needed by using all this technology (which has been made over the last century and this decade), I think its given people more room/time to be able to expirement more, socialy, and by using the latest technology of the time combined as a kind of backdrop(if that makes any sense), be able to create all types of things which all kinda come together to make a "pop culture"(if that makes any sense).

There are just some icons which totally revolutionise the culture of an era; the ipod was far more than a faddish gadget like a portable AM-Radio would've been to an early 60s kids, it was a statement which spoke of our values, our lifestyle, and what we aspire to. Perhaps in no other era has technology been encapsulated in technology as this. They're not just 'nerdy gadgets', but the new status symbols.

Written By: Gil on 05/03/06 at 12:53 am

I don't think technologies imprison us.  how?  technology lets us do more stuff, and lets you do old stuff in less time.  that's not prisoning.  It's seems like just empty rehtoric to be saying that.  Like when people say being judgemental is a prison, because if you choose something as good or right, you are shutting off other possibilities.  So what?  It's your choice.

Written By: Andydrew on 05/03/06 at 1:59 am

I don't think technologies imprison us.  how?  technology lets us do more stuff, and lets you do old stuff in less time.  that's not prisoning.  It's seems like just empty rehtoric to be saying that.  Like when people say being judgemental is a prison, because if you choose something as good or right, you are shutting off other possibilities.  So what?  It's your choice.

i said the exact same thing, grrrrr >:(

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/03/06 at 5:51 am

There are just some icons which totally revolutionise the culture of an era; the ipod was far more than a faddish gadget like a portable AM-Radio would've been to an early 60s kids, it was a statement which spoke of our values, our lifestyle, and what we aspire to. Perhaps in no other era has technology been encapsulated in technology as this. They're not just 'nerdy gadgets', but the new status symbols.

I always thought the walkman, CD-player with giant stereo equipment, rear projection TV, and VCR were big yuppie status symbols in the '80s, as well as status symbols for teens. The iPod and overwrought cell phones are similar this decade.

Written By: Gil on 05/04/06 at 12:35 am

i said the exact same thing, grrrrr >:(

It's not exactly a revolutionery or unique idea.  Please don't accuse plagirism if that is what you're after. 

Subject: Re: The Progression of Technology and Popular Culture and the Relationship betwe

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 2:45 am

It's not exactly a revolutionery or unique idea.  Please don't accuse plagirism if that is what you're after. 

No, it's just you repeating something which has already been said which is a bit annoying.

Written By: Gil on 05/04/06 at 9:29 pm

No, it's just you repeating something which has already been said which is a bit annoying.

I was saying it in my own unique way, which is the point.  I am entitled too have my say.  You said something trite that did not contribute too the body of knowledge in the known universe, but still you felt compelled to express it.  So why can't I be trite in my own unique way?  By attacking me you made two extra posts that are off topic.  Why did you start this confrontation?  Are you an angry person?  Do you have repressed angers?  Why couldn't you just read it and think to yourself "that idiot wrote something just as trite and meaningless and superflous as the stuff I wrote"?  Why couldn't you just leave it at that?  In your head?  To post something negative about me and to FORCE me to reply (to preserve my honor and integrity and fragile sense of self-worthiness) is even more annoying than the easily-glossed-over, 10-seconds-worth of-reading, itty-bitty minor annoyance of my original post.  Live and let live, my netfriend.  Live.  And Let.  Live.  I hope you have learned something.  Have you?  Come on, admit it.  You have.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 8:56 am

Oh, the irony...

Check for new replies or respond here...