inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Whateverhappenedto: Fantasia Barrino?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/06 at 9:25 am

With all the recent hubbub about American Idol and the unfortunate exit of Kellie Pickler, I wonder what happened to the juggernaut that was Fantasia? ???

I just did a Yahoo! News Search and here is what I got:

Fantasia Barrio: 107 hits
Carrie Underwear: 613
Ruben Stuttered: 160
Clay Achin' : 163
Kelly Claxon: 684

Looks like Fantasia's media team has gone to sleep.   :-\\   Any thoughts out there?  ???

Subject: Re: Whateverhappenedto: Fantasia Barrino?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 11:21 am

2005-Present

Through Spring and Winter of 2005, Fantasia made many television appearances to promote her album. She played Aretha Franklin in an episode of the series American Dreams, singing "Respect", and guest voiced on The Simpsons episode "A Star is Torn". Fantasia appeared three times as a musical guest on Jay Leno's The Tonight Show.

On March 25th, 2005, Fantasia performed at the 36th NAACP Image Awards in honor of Illinois Senator Barack Obama after winning the image award for Most Outstanding Female Artist. In May and June 2005 Fantasia went on her first tour with her own live band, supporting soul singers Kem and Rahsaan Patterson. She also appeared as a headliner at several music festivals including the Saint Lucia Jazz Festival and the Reggae Sumfest on Jamaica. In October 2005, Fantasia received good notices as an opening act for Kayne West's Touch the Sky Tour.

In the late summer of 2005, Fantasia collaborated with Lyfe Jennings on his single "Hypothetically".

Life is Not a Fairy Tale

In September 2005, Fantasia published her memoir (which she dictated to a freelance writer), Life is Not a Fairy Tale. In it she revealed that she is functionally illiterate. She discussed this in an interview on ABC's 20/20 , saying she hadn't been able to read contracts, and she simply memorized the songs she was told to perform and sing on her records. Life is Not a Fairy Tale became a New York Times Best Seller. In July 2006, Fantasia is scheduled to appear as the star of a made-for-TV movie adaption of the book, on the Lifetime cable network.

As of 2005, she was being taught to read by tutors, so she can read to her daughter and read contracts. She was also pursuing her GED.

In 2006, Fantasia was nominated for four Grammy Awards, making her the first Idol to receive that many nominations, although she did not win any of those awards. Fantasia performed with several well-known artists including Steven Tyler and Ciara in an all-star tribute to Sly and the Family Stone during the Grammy Awards.

Sophomore Album

Fantasia has already begun working on her second studio album, which is rumored to be released in 2006. She wants to write some of her own music, and plans on experimenting with different genres of music, including country and rock. Missy Elliot will return as one of the writers on her second album, and Ne-Yo, who wrote Mario's "Let Me Love You", will be writing a song or two for Fantasia as well.

Barrino has received critical lauds from a variety of respected and noted individuals including Donna Summer, Dallas Austin, India Arie, Anita Baker, Ellen DeGeneres, Elton John, The Pointer Sisters, Star Jones, Stevie Wonder, Patti Labelle and Ghostface Killah.

Fantasia Barrino currently resides in Charlotte.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/30/06 at 2:17 pm

Fantasia is a fantastic talent, unfortunately she doesn't have "the look".  Kelley Clarkson does.  People will
say it is all about the music, but they lie.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/30/06 at 3:01 pm

Fantasia had some decent success with "Truth Is" last year, which I kinda liked but she hasn't done too much on the pop charts since that. Studdard has been a failure in the mainstream, but he's doing gospel now and I guess he's pretty successful in that.

Written By: Marian on 04/30/06 at 4:22 pm

Fantasia had some decent success with "Truth Is" last year, which I kinda liked but she hasn't done too much on the pop charts since that. Studdard has been a failure in the mainstream, but he's doing gospel now and I guess he's pretty successful in that.
i don't think Studdard really wanted to be a mainstream hit with the kids.I think he prefers gospel.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/06 at 4:25 pm

Fantasia is a fantastic talent, unfortunately she doesn't have "the look".  Kelley Clarkson does.  People will

Of course it is not all bout the music.  Entertainment is a complicated thing.  Gotta have the whole package.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/30/06 at 9:37 pm

kelly clarkson didnt look so hot herself when she first came out

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/30/06 at 10:11 pm

Kelly Clarkson was gorgeous then and she's gorgeous now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/01/06 at 5:22 am

Kelly Clarkson was gorgeous then and she's gorgeous now.

I gotta go with shaneiscrazy on this one.  :P

Written By: danootaandme on 05/01/06 at 10:24 am

Of course it is not all bout the music.  Entertainment is a complicated thing.  Gotta have the whole package.

Lucky for us, and them, that Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Bill Haley, Little Richard, and a host of others
that talent wasn't always that way, (back in the day)

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 05/01/06 at 11:37 am

kelly is a good singer and she is good in fame now as for Justin guarin he is a but of jokes when he lost and I mean he is a butt of so many jokes in the late night world

Written By: Gil on 05/03/06 at 12:40 am

Lucky for us, and them, that Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Bill Haley, Little Richard, and a host of others
that talent wasn't always that way, (back in the day)

Ella was unusually gifted and you can't even compare modern artists to her -- so that case is unusual.  Frank had big talent too, but the ladies always thought he was good looking.  Bill Haley had personality, and Richard was pretty and had personality.  So only in extremely rare cases like Ella is it ONLY about the talent.  Besides, being a good performer is more than just 'the voice'.

Check for new replies or respond here...