inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: grunge

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/30/06 at 7:23 pm

if grunge type music dose make a comeback in the next few years do you think the fashions associated will also

ex: flannel ,overalls

Subject: Re: grunge

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/30/06 at 7:40 pm

flannel ,overalls
Hope not.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 8:13 pm

Yeah, I think that grunge music, college rock, and older "alternative rock" like Dinosaur Jr. will make a big comeback c. 2011 and the fashion will come back with it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 1:14 am

I hope grunge doesn't come back.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:19 am

Grunge wouldn't be a big deal because it has no 'dragon' so to speak, to conquer. No great stagnating mass like 'Hair-metal' to totally destroy. I think a grunge revival wouldn't make an impact because the music today is too 'hip' and 'cool' in  comparison.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 3:21 am

Grunge music sucked.  It always did, and it always will.  No offense to anyone who likes it .. it just was never my cup of tea.  IT was just loud noise

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 8:53 am

How can you not like Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, etc..?  They Rocked

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/06 at 3:56 pm

Grunge music sucked.  It always did, and it always will.  No offense to anyone who likes it .. it just was never my cup of tea.  IT was just loud noise

Grunge was alright. It had a few good songs here and there. I like a few songs but I always prefered classic rock and 80's rock.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 4:06 pm

Nirvana were amazing, but Pearl Jam is just sludge to me. I actually think a grunge style/ethos revival, or the ethos of '90s hipsters (very slackerish, relaxed, chill) will come back in the early '10s and be a big, big deal, and wipe away the stagnant hipster rock and glam rap. Revivals can be fairly selective, though. Like something about the early '80s new wave that's popular now fits the "futuristic", highly designed feel of the '00s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 5:51 pm

Nirvana were amazing, but Pearl Jam is just sludge to me. I actually think a grunge style/ethos revival, or the ethos of '90s hipsters (very slackerish, relaxed, chill) will come back in the early '10s and be a big, big deal, and wipe away the stagnant hipster rock and glam rap. Revivals can be fairly selective, though. Like something about the early '80s new wave that's popular now fits the "futuristic", highly designed feel of the '00s.

I wonder if that's why new wave is back, because their fantasties about the future proved true in some ways.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/01/06 at 7:14 pm

I would like Grunge to come back, but I'm not too keen on it.  After all, it'll be big for a few years, but it would eventually become commercialized.  What do we get out of that?  Well, after a few years of possibly great music, we'd get stuck with Post-Grunge (AGAIN!) and we would eventually be consumed by another crapfest of music.  Let's face it, Grunge is partially responsible for the crappy Nu-Metal and Emo bands.  If Grunge becomes popular again, we just run the chance of repeating history and eventually declining into yet another crapfest of music in the 2020's.

I'd like Grunge to come back, but I'd prefer it if something influenced by Grunge, but completely new at the same time, became popular.  Kind of like how Punk influenced Grunge, but Grunge brought completely new things to the table at the same time.  We should be trying to create completely new types of music, not endlessly copying the music of the past.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 7:21 pm

I would like Grunge to come back, but I'm not too keen on it.  After all, it'll be big for a few years, but it would eventually become commercialized.  What do we get out of that?  Well, after a few years of possibly great music, we'd get stuck with Post-Grunge (AGAIN!) and we would eventually be consumed by another crapfest of music.  Let's face it, Grunge is partially responsible for the crappy Nu-Metal and Emo bands.  If Grunge becomes popular again, we just run the chance of repeating history and eventually declining into yet another crapfest of music in the 2020's.

I'd like Grunge to come back, but I'd prefer it if something influenced by Grunge, but completely new at the same time, became popular.  Kind of like how Punk influenced Grunge, but Grunge brought completely new things to the table at the same time.  We should be trying to create completely new types of music, not endlessly copying the music of the past.

I was actually hoping for the neo-wave bands to break out big.  Seems like all it really is is a part of Emo, though.

Written By: shadowy_starr on 05/01/06 at 9:45 pm

I don't know if any of you have heard of a band named Evanescence but they were labled somewhere as post-grunge ???....I didn't even know that there was a post grunge. :D

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 2:22 am

I agree that Pearl Jam Sucks.  BUT, there is one exception, their Song called "Alive" is Awesome. But pretty much every other song from them is Horrible

Kurt Cobain once went up to Eddie Veder and told him that he thought Pearl Jam Sucked  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/02/06 at 2:27 am

Pearl Jam was amazing.  Eddie Vedder's voice is so powerful and enigmatic........I could listen to him sing for hours.

Written By: Gis on 05/02/06 at 3:22 am

I don't know if any of you have heard of a band named Evanescence but they were labled somewhere as post-grunge ???....I didn't even know that there was a post grunge. :D
Now that does surprise me I would not have called them that by any means.

Written By: chaka on 05/02/06 at 1:03 pm

Kurt Cobain once went up to Eddie Veder and told him that he thought Pearl Jam Sucked  ;D

he actually apologised later because he didn't want to offend Vedder.
He realised just how talented he was (is) and at one point he even admitted being jealous of him for being able to write such great lyrics.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 1:19 pm

he actually apologised later because he didn't want to offend Vedder.
He realised just how talented he was (is) and at one point he even admitted being jealous of him for being able to write such great lyrics.

You can't possibly be serious?  I've always thought that "pearl Jam" were the Worst Lyrical Rock Group ever!  Just listen to the song "Alive" and tell me those aren't pathetic lyrics.  Sounds like they thought of a great 2 minute guitar solo and needed a song to build around it, so they just used filler material for the song just so they could get to the guitar solo  ;D

I mean, check out these lyrics

Son, she said, have I got a little story for you
What you thought was your daddy was nothin

Written By: chaka on 05/02/06 at 1:26 pm

Alive is their most overrated song IMO and I agree the lyrics are not special but there are so many other amazing Pearl Jam songs that aren't popular.
But if you look at Nirvana lyrics..it's usually full of contradictions,Cobain even said when they recorded their songs he had to improvise because he didn't really have any lyrics.
Sorry but Vedder's lyrics are way better than Cobain's.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/02/06 at 5:55 pm

Kurt Cobain actually said that his lyrics really don't have any meaning at all.  He just made them up and thought they sounded good.  Also, in my opinion, Pearl Jam is the best Grunge band, closely followed by Soundgarden.  Nirvana's a great band (I own all their studio albums as well as Unplugged), but they're overrated.  Ironically enough, people assume that Nirvana was the most popular band of the early 90's despite the fact that Pearl Jam sold more albums.  Also, in 1992, Kurt Cobain himself said Guns N Roses were "sadly the most popular band in the world."  This was around the time November Rain came out.

The funny thing is that Kurt Cobain called Pearl Jam a "commercialized version of Alternative" (he never used the term Grunge except in a negative manner) when two of the members of Pearl Jam were in Green River, which is agreed upon by critics as the first real Grunge band (just barely though, as Soundgarden and the Melvins were formed soon afterward).

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/03/06 at 8:35 am

Grunge +  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/mblah05.gif = http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/spam1.gif

Let's all do what we can to keep grunge down were it needs to be...thank you :)

Written By: chaka on 05/03/06 at 8:39 am

I actually hope the "grunge trend" never comes back, I mean it just belongs to the 90s...any band of the 00s claiming to be grunge..No that just doesn't work out,it would just be a poor imitation made to be listened by the masses.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/03/06 at 8:52 am

I actually hope the "grunge trend" never comes back, I mean it just belongs to the 90s...any band of the 00s claiming to be grunge..No that just doesn't work out,it would just be a poor imitation made to be listened by the masses.

This is the "future" of our music listening experience...why the hell do we need to refurbish grunge now or in the next recycling decade?  Grunge belongs with the fishes....or even  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/spam1.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...