inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Today's rock music

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:09 am

Is rock dead nowdays? If you look at rock nowadays it consists of boring a/c type stuff or emo on the alternative side. There was still some decent rock up till about 2002, then rock just took a big dive down the drain. Though some of the soft rock stuff is ok, it's all the same and it's bland and boring. Some Emo songs can be ok, but for the most part emo is whiny crap. Where oh where has rock and roll gone?

Subject: Re: Today's rock music

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/06 at 1:12 am

It's around, but I agree it hasn't been "Top 40/everybody knows about it"-type mainstream since at least the first half of '03. It even seems like pop/punk has started fading out (that was more of a 2001-early 05 thing or so, and that was the most "rocklike" thing until recently).

It does seem like any revival is shortlived. Remember the garage rock/punk rock stuff (i.e. The Hives, Strokes) around '03? That didn't last long, and yet it was being touted as a huge thing.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 1:13 am

I agree with rock basically dying in 2002.  Rock wasn't exactly healthy in the '90s, but it was still king, of anything, as big as hip hop was.  2002 was the first year rap outsold rock, and was also when grunge and numetal become emo.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 1:17 am

Seems like it's mostly the R&B and Rap that's dominating the airwaves on the Billboard Charts.  Internationally, like the UK, Alternative Rock is still quite popular with bands like Arctic Monkeys, Feeder, and the Kaiser Chiefs

Even here in Canada, there is much Rock in our charts.  Mostly bands that are only successful here though

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:18 am

I agree with rock basically dying in 2002.  Rock wasn't exactly healthy in the '90s, but it was still king, of anything, as big as hip hop was.  2002 was the first year rap outsold rock, and was also when grunge and numetal become emo.

Ya 2002 was the last year there was decent rock. In the early '00s there was some ok rock out there, like Fuel, Default, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, Disturbed, Slipknot, etc. Nowadays it's mostly emo crap.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 1:18 am

Ya 2002 was the last year there was decent rock. In the early '00s there was some ok rock out there, like Fuel, Default, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, Disturbed, Slipknot, etc. Nowadays it's mostly emo crap.

Or really lame numetal and postgrunge.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:20 am

yea. Especially now in 2006, rock has seriously gone down the toilet. At least in 05 we had the Killers and Green Day.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 1:21 am

yea. Especially now in 2006, rock has seriously gone down the toilet. At least in 05 we had the Killers and Green Day.

2006 is downright awful.  I think 2007-2009 will be better.  1996 was pretty lame.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:22 am

2006 is downright awful.  I think 2007-2009 will be better.  1996 was pretty lame.

Yea hopefully.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:37 am

Oh yea I forgot Nickelback, they really suck now too.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:00 am

I actually reckon 06 has seen some pretty good releases...

the Arctic Monkeys album was decent, a bit overrated, the new Flaming Lips album sounds really exciting (I've only heard clips), and I plan to get it. The Strokes third album, though released in late 2005, actually met my expectations; it definitely outstripped the Scissors' Sisters debut which caused similar hype.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 2:29 pm

the Arctic Monkeys album was decent, a bit overrated, the new Flaming Lips album sounds really exciting (I've only heard clips), and I plan to get it. The Strokes third album, though released in late 2005, actually met my expectations; it definitely outstripped the Scissors' Sisters debut which caused similar hype.

It's slowly looking better, but the Top 40 is really awful right now.  I guess it could be worse though.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 2:33 pm

Nothing has done well on the hot 100 though, but yea there's some ok rock out there, but it's overshadowed by the crap.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 2:42 pm

1996 Lame?  Are you Kidding me??

"1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
"Counting Blue Cars" by Dishwalla
"Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against The Machine
"Wonderwall" by Oasis
"Glycerine" by Bush
"The World I Know" by Collective Soul
"Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" by Primitive Radio Gods
"Cumbersome" by Seven Mary Three
"Big Me" by Foo Fighters
"Pretty Noose" by Soundgarden
"Machinehead" by Bush
"Tonight, Tonight" by Smashing Pumpkins
"Bound For The Floor" by Local H
"Where It's At" by Beck
"Stinkfist" by Tool
"What I Got" by Sublime
"The Distance" by Cake

There have been much worse years

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 2:43 pm

"Wonderwall" by Oasis
"Glycerine" by Bush
"Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" by Primitive Radio Gods
"Big Me" by Foo Fighters
"Machinehead" by Bush
"Where It's At" by Beck
"Stinkfist" by Tool
"What I Got" by Sublime
"The Distance" by Cake

Yea 1996 was actually a pretty good year for rock.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 3:00 pm

Speaking of Today's Rock Music.  I would have to agree that it sucks.  There are some exceptions, but I would say that the 3 Greatest Rock Songs from the 2000's are...

1: "Judith" by A Perfect Circle (2000)
2: "Cochise" by Audioslave (2002)
3: "Hemorrhage" by Fuel (2000)

Nothing else comes close...In my opinion atleast

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 3:02 pm

Speaking of Today's Rock Music.  I would have to agree that it sucks.  There are some exceptions, but I would say that the 3 Greatest Rock Songs from the 2000's are...

1: "Judith" by A Perfect Circle (2000)
2: "Cochise" by Audioslave (2002)
3: "Hemorrhage" by Fuel (2000)

Nothing else comes close...In my opinion atleast

Yea I like audioslave, and the Fuel song is good. The Foo Fighters are still making pretty good rock, so is RHCP, but the majority of rock sucks now.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 3:16 pm

Yea I like audioslave, and the Fuel song is good. The Foo Fighters are still making pretty good rock, so is RHCP, but the majority of rock sucks now.

I still dig the Foo Fighters.  I've always liked them.  They still manage to hold on to the "Grunge" sound (Along with "Audioslave")

My favorite though is "Nine Inch Nails".  I could listen to each and every one of Reznor's Albums over and over again and never get tired of it, especially "The Downward Spiral"

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/06 at 3:40 pm

Is rock dead nowdays? If you look at rock nowadays it consists of boring a/c type stuff or emo on the alternative side. There was still some decent rock up till about 2002, then rock just took a big dive down the drain. Though some of the soft rock stuff is ok, it's all the same and it's bland and boring. Some Emo songs can be ok, but for the most part emo is whiny crap. Where oh where has rock and roll gone?

Yeah, rock has really gone down since about 2002 and has been steadily going down in sales for even longer. But the 00's is a hip-hop influenced decade so it's really not that surprising.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 4:04 pm

Rock has been baaad this decade. Particularly 2002+. It's all emo, indiemo (lame crap like Bright Eyes and the Postal Service), pretentious stuff like Arcade Fire (not the worst of it, though), and derivative, not terribly original modern like the Strokes. I know I'm being picky, but there are all these fans of current rock out there and they don't even know its '80s origins, which it can't hold a candle to. Or, there's incredibly dull nu metal and post-grunge, but nobody even really cares about that anymore...it's just dreck... The late '90s definitely weren't as good in terms of rock music as the early-mid '90s, but there were definitely some great albums by '90s artists that I like: From the Choirgirl Hotel by Tori Amos, Midnite Vultures by Beck, Bachelor No. 2 by Aimee Mann, Ray of Light by Madonna, OK Computer by Radiohead, The Soft Bulletin by the Flaming Lips were all 1998-1999 (well, OC was 1997), and really, really good.  The only '00s albums I've really sincerely liked have been Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and Radiohead's stuff.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:05 pm

The local altern scene experienced a real boom in 2004, but I think is really going along well atm. Expect to see some fresh new talent in the coming year...

Maybe it's just the American scene which is stagnating...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:21 pm

The local altern scene experienced a real boom in 2004, but I think is really going along well atm. Expect to see some fresh new talent in the coming year...

Maybe it's just the American scene which is stagnating...

The American scene is booming, but not terribly talented, so I don't think you could exactly call it talent.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:23 pm

The American scene is booming, but not terribly talented, so I don't think you could exactly call it talent.

Yes, the American indie seem does seem to be a bit in love with itself. Whereas here there's a sense of 'fun' about everything, we don't take things that seriously I guess. And it's nice and cosy. I recently went to a gig which was attended by the numerous local 'who's who' of rock, but unfortunately couldn't track 'em down (I heard this from someone else)...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 8:24 pm

Oh yea I forgot Nickelback, they really suck now too.

totally.  That song "Photograph" has to be the crappiest song ever....it sounds like they wrote it in 5 minutes, and then put the lyrics to the same background music they use in nearly every other song of theirs. ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:19 pm

totally.  That song "Photograph" has to be the crappiest song ever....it sounds like they wrote it in 5 minutes, and then put the lyrics to the same background music they use in nearly every other song of theirs. ::)

Nickeback's music literally sounds like nails grating on a black-board...eechh!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 9:21 pm

totally.  That song "Photograph" has to be the crappiest song ever....it sounds like they wrote it in 5 minutes, and then put the lyrics to the same background music they use in nearly every other song of theirs. ::)

"Kim's the first girl I kissed, I was so nervous that I nearly missed".  I could have written that in the 6th grade.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:24 pm

Cobain has alot to answer for...

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 9:24 pm

totally.  That song "Photograph" has to be the crappiest song ever....it sounds like they wrote it in 5 minutes, and then put the lyrics to the same background music they use in nearly every other song of theirs. ::)

Photograph, Someday and, Savin' Me are all the exact same song with slightly different lyrics.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 10:15 pm

"Kim's the first girl I kissed, I was so nervous that I nearly missed".  I could have written that in the 6th grade.  ;D

oh i know....totally! ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 10:18 pm

Nickeback's music literally sounds like nails grating on a black-board...eechh!

yea that's about what nickelback sounds like, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 10:19 pm

Photograph, Someday and, Savin' Me are all the exact same song with slightly different lyrics.

that's true. I made the mistake years ago by buying one of their cds....by the time I was finished listening to it, I thought I had listened to the same song over and over again.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 11:03 pm

We got a few good Rock bands here in Canada currently in the charts.  I doubt any of these will make it Stateside, but you never know.  I think Three Days Grace might already have broke the US charts, but I am not sure ...

Mobile
http://www.myspace.com/areyoumobile

The Suits XL - Their current hit "Play" is very catchy
http://www.myspace.com/thesuitsxl

Hedley - Their lead singer placed 3rd in last year's Canadian Idol
http://www.myspace.com/hedley

Theory of A Deadman
http://www.myspace.com/theoryofadeadman

Three Days Grace
http://www.myspace.com/threedaysgrace

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 11:09 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/01/06 at 11:55 pm

Three Days Grace had a good amount of success and Theory of a Deadman have had a few songs get decent amounts of airplay (I loved "No Surprise")... haven't heard of the others.

Written By: ktelqueen on 05/02/06 at 12:28 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/06 at 12:32 am

hey J..i saw a really good cdn band this weekend..the Sleddogs..their single is Perfect Place..keep your eyes open for them  8)

I have heard of them.  I saw the tail end of their video for 'Bye Bye Life' on Much More Music and thought it was pretty good :)

I actually didn't know they were Canadian, but with a name like The Sleddogs, I should have known LOL

Written By: Criz on 05/02/06 at 5:44 am

"Wonderwall" by Oasis
"Glycerine" by Bush
"Big Me" by Foo Fighters
"Machinehead" by Bush
"Where It's At" by Beck
"Stinkfist" by Tool
"What I Got" by Sublime
"The Distance" by Cake

Not to mention all of the Brit-Pop and Indie stuff that was around from the likes of Blur, Pulp, Oasis, Shed 7, The Blutones, OCS, James etc...

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 5:46 am

Not to mention all of the Brit-Pop and Indie stuff that was around from the likes of Blur, Pulp, Oasis, Shed 7, The Blutones, OCS, James etc...

I don't remember any of them having hits in 1996 in America (With the exception of Oasis, who I already mentioned).  "James" had a hit song called "Laid" in 1994 and Blur came along in 1997 and had a hit song called "Song 2"

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 7:36 am

I don't remember any of them having hits in 1996 in America (With the exception of Oasis, who I already mentioned).  "James" had a hit song called "Laid" in 1994 and Blur came along in 1997 and had a hit song called "Song 2"

'Song 2' is one of the songs I remember from 96...used to be my favourite song.  :-[

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/06 at 11:52 am

Blur were not a big success in America.  Song 2 came out in 1997 and was actually their 16th hit

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 11:55 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 12:06 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/06 at 12:26 pm

Blur were quite popular here in Canada.  I remember their songs 'Girls and Boys' and 'Country House' were quite huge.  Their 2003 album 'Think Tank' also did well.  The songs 'Out of Time' and 'Crazy Beat' did very well

Did you know lead singer Damon Albarn is the man behind The Gorillaz?

Written By: chaka on 05/02/06 at 1:43 pm

here's good rock music of the 00s:
Audioslave
Foo Fighters
Tool
Pearl Jam (yes,they're still around..)
Queens Of The Stoneage

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/02/06 at 1:44 pm

here's good rock music of the 00s:
Audioslave
Foo Fighters
Tool
Pearl Jam (yes,they're still around..)
Queens Of The Stoneage

Yea I agree, those are all good. It is out there, just so overshadowed by other stuff. I have Audioslave's and Foo Fighter's CDs.

Written By: chaka on 05/02/06 at 1:46 pm

Yea I agree, those are all good. It is out there, just so overshadowed by other stuff. I have Audioslave's and Foo Fighter's CDs.

believe it or not I've never felt like buying a Foo Fighters album.
I don't really know why because they are a great band.
I love the song "Friend Of A Friend" of the In Your Honor album.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 2:01 pm

believe it or not I've never felt like buying a Foo Fighters album.
I don't really know why because they are a great band.
I love the song "Friend Of A Friend" of the In Your Honor album.

Maybe, because the rock stations play nothing but Foo Fighters?  ;D

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 2:08 pm

Maybe, because the rock stations play nothing but Foo Fighters?  ;D

That's better than hearing "Fall Out Boy" or any other EMO junk on Rotation every minute

Atleast Foo Fighters are defectors from the 90's, which makes them cool with me  8)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 2:20 pm

That's better than hearing "Fall Out Boy" or any other EMO junk on Rotation every minute

Atleast Foo Fighters are defectors from the 90's, which makes them cool with me  8)

True  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/02/06 at 2:21 pm

I'm so sick of Fall Out Boy, and especially those lame All American Rejects losers, they whine like little girls.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/02/06 at 8:46 pm

Theres good stuff out there. Just look and you will find. Granted today's rock music is quite mediocore compared to the 70s rock bands such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Badfinger, The Who, Rolling Stones, etc.  :-\\

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/03/06 at 5:54 am

Theres good stuff out there. Just look and you will find. Granted today's rock music is quite mediocore compared to the 70s rock bands such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Badfinger, The Who, Rolling Stones, etc.  :-\\
In saying that, looking at billboard and other charts of the 60s/70s/80s and 90s, pop music has always been... crap (for lack of a better word) ...of course that is a very subjective point of view.  ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/03/06 at 7:11 pm

The P.O.D. CD's I like the best, "Satellite" "Payable on Death" and the new one "Testify" have made the 2000's somewhat cool...

Off of the new P.O.D. I like 'Roots In Stereo' and 'Strength of my Life'  with Matisyahu and 'On The Grind' with Boo-Yah Tribe the best...

But I honestly think the 80's and '90's had better music overall than this decade...so far.

Check for new replies or respond here...