inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mercury Rev

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:55 am

I first got into them when I saw the video clip for 'In A Funny Way' (the one with the animal puppets) last year, but I didn't buy the album due to the mediocre reviews (heard a few of the songs though). I then went and bought a double pack consisting of 'Deserter's Songs' and 'All Is Dream', which I can say I really enjoyed. The orchestration backing is really lush, and reminds me of Polyphonic Spree in its ethearal, ochestral quality, even though they are really different. In many ways they are like early R.E.M...For those who have heard them, what do you think of them? I know some of you might criticize them for being 'hipster/yuppie' music (they don't make the same artistic pretentious as Arcade Fire, though), but they've been around for much longer than the current batch of contemparies.

But more importantly, I'd love to see this sort of music penetrate the mainstream market. Mercury Rev, the Spree, Sigur Ros, Augie March, the Panics lush, melodically rich, inventive and arty without being artsy.

Subject: Re: Mercury Rev

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 6:23 pm

I liked Opus 40, but that's the only one I've listened to from them

Subject: Re: Mercury Rev

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:00 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...