inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Numetal/post-grunge/pop punk bands that went emo

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 7:26 pm

What numetal, post-grunge, and pop-punk bands went emo in the mid-'00s?

I'd say:

Blink 182
Hoobastank
Linkin Park (to a slight extent)
Papa Roach

Subject: Re: Numetal/post-grunge/pop punk bands that went emo

Written By: Apricot on 05/01/06 at 7:48 pm

Hoobastank was originally something not-suck? They're not EMO now, though.. they're like Coldplay... grown-up EMO.

Papa Roach did, like, a total 180 into EMO. Totally.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:24 pm

Green Day...were pop-punk through the '90s and are now pretty emo.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:26 pm

Blink seperated just in time to avoid becoming really emo. I quite liked the 'Enema of the State' and still sort of do. 'Adam's Song' was sort of my theme-tune for 2000, as I could really relate to it, settling in, having no friends blah blah blah...

Written By: Apricot on 05/01/06 at 8:37 pm

Green Day...were pop-punk through the '90s and are now pretty emo.

They're still Pop-Punk... they just appeal to the EMO crowd. Just because a band like, say, Neutral Milk Hotel, tends to appeal to EMOs doesn't make it EMO.

They have a few EMO tendencies, which explains their appeal.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:39 pm

They're still Pop-Punk... they just appeal to the EMO crowd. Just because a band like, say, Neutral Milk Hotel, tends to appeal to EMOs doesn't make it EMO.

They have a few EMO tendencies, which explains their appeal.

You always capitalize EMO  ;D ...

Yeah, just because a band appeals to the emo crowd doesn't necessarily make it emo. However, most bands that do have a few emo tendencies. Like the Killers aren't really emo, but they have enough lyrical emo tendencies to appeal to the emos.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:41 pm

Yeah, just because a band appeals to the emo crowd doesn't necessarily make it emo. However, most bands that do have a few emo tendencies. Like the Killers aren't really emo, but they have enough lyrical emo tendencies to appeal to the emos.

Greenday did sort of 'fit into the mould' with American Idiot, but are certainly not emo/of the emo ethic. They come from a much longer heritage...90s garage punk.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:52 pm

Greenday did sort of 'fit into the mould' with American Idiot, but are certainly not emo/of the emo ethic. They come from a much longer heritage...90s garage punk.

Yeah, they never quite became "emo." It's just one of those cases where they capitalized on/were influenced by a trend. Like alot of artists did disco in the late '70s because it was the hot thing to do.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 9:05 pm

I actually think that while American Idiot lyrically is a '00s timepiece, the actual music is very '90s.  Which perhaps makes it only more of a time capsule.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:08 pm

I actually think that while American Idiot lyrically is a '00s timepiece, the actual music is very '90s.  Which perhaps makes it only more of a time capsule.

Yes, it's very late 90s...Letterbomb is probably my favourite, my least favourite is 'When September Ends.' Aside from 'Good Riddance', Greenday were never that good at the slow ballads.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 9:09 pm

...Certainly more downbeat, though. I remember that when Good Charlotte came out, I thought, "Oh, this is just Blink-182 on heavy depressants."

Written By: Apricot on 05/01/06 at 9:11 pm

I saw the word "emo" capitalized.. the first time I'd seen it, that person did it, so I always do it.. at first, I thought "EMO" was an acronym, because it was capitalized like that.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:12 pm

...Certainly more downbeat, though. I remember that when Good Charlotte came out, I thought, "Oh, this is just Blink-182 on heavy depressants."

I always thought GC's music was very upbeat, very upbeat, like Avril Lavigne'

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 9:12 pm

Yes, it's very late 90s...Letterbomb is probably my favourite, my least favourite is 'When September Ends.' Aside from 'Good Riddance', Greenday were never that good at the slow ballads.

"Good Riddance" is classic.  Even though I can't remember when it first came out, it really sums up the feeling of 1997.

"September Ends" I actually find very underrated.  Aside from "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", I'd say it's the best track off American Idiot.

That's true.  It is more emo-ish, for sure.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:14 pm

"Good Riddance" is classic.  Even though I can't remember when it first came out, it really sums up the feeling of 1997.

"September Ends" I actually find very underrated.  Aside from "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", I'd say it's the best track off American Idiot.

That's true.  It is more emo-ish, for sure.

'Good Riddance' was my primary (read: elementary) school graduation song in 1998. It was everywhere on the airwaves back in '97. Brings back so many good memories.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 9:17 pm

'Good Riddance' was my primary (read: elementary) school graduation song in 1998. It was everywhere on the airwaves back in '97. Brings back so many good memories.

Yeah, that song was basically everywhere.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/02/06 at 2:11 am

Good Riddance is a very good song.  To me, it's a very bittersweet song as it brings up memories of my childhood and all the things I took for granted at the time.  Then again, I get that with several songs, mainly the slower, sadder ones ("Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls also stirs up similiar emotions).  I'm sure everyone here has at least one song that makes them feel bittersweet nostalgia for days long past.  Hell, some of the songs we hate now may be what makes us feel nostalgic in the future.

Check for new replies or respond here...