inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Judas Damon betrayed the sacred trust

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/02/06 at 4:19 pm

I'm not a Yankees or Red Sox fan (I'm a Braves' fan), but who can really blame the way Boston, Massachusetts residents treated former Red Sox centerfielder Johnny Damon?  75-80% booed him and among my favorites, held up signs calling him "Judas Damon" and one that said "Johnny Damon: Looks like Jesus, acts like Judas, throws like Mary."  He also had money thrown at him (which was over the line.)

Normally I'd say this was classless, considering the way Braves' fans cheered Julio Franco.  But this guy, who promised Boston he loved them best and would never play for New York, left for the best offer instead of keeping his promise.

How are those thirty pieces of silver treating you, Damon?

Subject: Re: Judas Damon betrayed the sacred trust

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 6:14 pm

This is no different from any other player switching teams in Free Agency.  You're clearly Biased because you're a Braves fan who hates New York

Had Damon signed with a team like the Brewers, you woulden't be making this topic right now

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/02/06 at 6:22 pm

Oh come on.  He left for more money.  Players do that all the time in every single professional sport.  Is this really newsworthy?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/02/06 at 6:24 pm

This is no different from any other player switching teams in Free Agency.

Had Damon signed with a team like the Brewers, you woulden't be making this topic right now

You're right, I wouldn't.

The difference is that Damon never said he would never play for the Brewers like he did with the Yankees.  Damon said on May 20, 2005 he would never play for the Yankees.  Did he not lie for, at the risk of carrying this analogy too long, the thirty pieces of silver (extra cash) from the Yankees instead of keeping his loyalty to Red Sox fans?

Chipper Jones took a massive pay-cut (17 million to 11 million) to help the Braves.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/02/06 at 6:29 pm

You're right, I wouldn't.

The difference is that Damon never said he would never play for the Brewers like he did with the Yankees.  Damon said on May 20, 2005 he would never play for the Yankees.  Did he not lie for, at the risk of carrying this analogy too long, the thirty pieces of silver (extra cash) from the Yankees instead of keeping his loyalty to Red Sox fans?

Chipper Jones took a massive pay-cut (17 million to 11 million) to help the Braves.

Actually, if you had watched his appearance on Letterman, you would have heard him say that reporters never printed his exact statement.  He said he'd never play for the Yankees......unless he was disrespected, and in his mind, he was.  Hence why he left the Red Sox. 

Once again, why is this a thread?  Go to Royal Rooters or SoSH if you want to Yankee-bash.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/02/06 at 6:32 pm

Once again, why is this a thread?  Go to Royal Rooters or SoSH if you want to Yankee-bash.

I'm anything but a Yankees-basher.  My least favorite teams are the Mets and the Cubs.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/02/06 at 6:38 pm

I'm anything but a Yankees-basher.  My least favorite teams are the Mets and the Cubs.

Really?  He's a Yankee.......and you're bashing him. 

I expect stuff like this on other websites; not this one.

Check for new replies or respond here...