inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Earthquake in Tonga causing Tsunami

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/06 at 12:11 pm

An earthquake has just hit Tonga and a Tsunami will hit Fiji soon and New Zealand later.

Subject: Re: Earthquake in Tonga causing Tsunami

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/06 at 12:13 pm

Report on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4970308.stm

Written By: Tia on 05/03/06 at 12:20 pm

it's weird to me that they can't tell somehow, by satellite or seismometer, whatever those gizmos are called, whether there's a tsunami. right now they're just speculating there might be one. maybe i'm just idealistic about technology.

Written By: Marian on 05/03/06 at 2:43 pm

An earthquake has just hit Tonga and a Tsunami will hit Fiji soon and New Zealand later.
There's a lot of big people in Tonga---I'm not surprised they caused an earthquake! :D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/06 at 2:44 pm

I think this is not serious as 18 months ago.

Written By: Marian on 05/03/06 at 2:45 pm

I think this is not serious as 18 months ago.
It isn't.The advisory has been .lifted.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/03/06 at 3:20 pm

I'm glad that all the tsunami warnings have been lifted...

Written By: Tia on 05/03/06 at 4:49 pm

yeah, it went right down the memory hole dude! i was listening to the news and they were all, our big story at this hour -- moussaoui verdict is in! i'm all, um, tsunami? hello? like i give a damn about moussaoui. i can't even spell it.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/03/06 at 6:27 pm

Bit scary, and close to home too.  :o

The warning has been lifted, from what I've heard.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/03/06 at 7:05 pm

The Tsunami Warning Centre issued warnings for countries in the region at 3.42am, saying at the time it did not know whether the quake actually generated a tsunami. If it did, it could have hit Fiji at 5.13am and Gisborne at 6.21am. The Centre later cancelled all warnings, and said New Zealand would likely experience half-metre swells only. Niue registered a 0.21m wave at 4.03am and Pago Pago registered a 0.15m wave at 4.36am, according to data on the Tsunami Warning Centre website.

Written By: Tia on 05/03/06 at 10:56 pm

The Tsunami Warning Centre issued warnings for countries in the region at 3.42am, saying at the time it did not know whether the quake actually generated a tsunami. If it did, it could have hit Fiji at 5.13am and Gisborne at 6.21am. The Centre later cancelled all warnings, and said New Zealand would likely experience half-metre swells only. Niue registered a 0.21m wave at 4.03am and Pago Pago registered a 0.15m wave at 4.36am, according to data on the Tsunami Warning Centre website.
well, i'm glad it was a bust.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 3:48 am

I'm glad that all the tsunami warnings have been lifted...

I just hope this isn't the start of a series of seismic events that will culminate in a catastrophic Tsunami. There were a whole bunch of earthquakes and volcanoes around the Pacific that set the stage for the 12/26/04 Tsunami. You can say it's God punishing mankind for being so bad, but that's just the Santa Claus-for-grownups aspect of religion that's so annoying. Those plates that compose the surface of the Earth are forever grinding, sliding, and shifting no matter what mankind does. I hate to borrow from Ayn Rand, but if Atlas shrugs, you're sh*t outta luck!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/orangehat.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...