inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Ghost Whisperer"...where are all the real women on TV?!?!?!

Written By: MMinx on 05/03/06 at 1:59 pm

>:(  Just when I thought female lead characters on television could not get anymore cookie-cuuter and submissive, along comes "Ghost Whisperer"!!!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! 

Just because this is a girl who talks to ghosts, doesn't mean she has to wear cleavage-baring tops, or dated dresses, looking like a reject from the '50's/'60's. 

Why couldn't she be a kick-ass chick, who doesn't cry at the drop of a hat!!

I am so sick and tired of seeing her cry whenever a spirit passes over into the other world!!

And...the way she just caters to her husband's every whim, massaging him, and allowing him to paw at her, even when she very obviously does not want him to!

Why couldn't she argue with him about everything and set his ass straight for a change?!?!

Come to think of it, why is she even married in the first place?!?!

Why couldn't she just be a free and independent woman as oppose to an unsatisfied wife!?!

Must EVERY woman on TV be married, or have boyfriends?!?!?!

Let us see real women, who have jobs, who are strong, who don't cry, and who are single and free!!!

Otherwise, this is a pretty entertaining show.

Subject: Re: "Ghost Whisperer"...where are all the real women on TV?!?!?!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/06 at 7:01 pm

Are you kidding?

I watch the show BECAUSE of the cleavage.  :P

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/03/06 at 7:13 pm

What a minute, is this Jennifer Love Hewit's show?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 7:17 pm

Oh please.

The show has to cater to the demographic and if JLH is starring in it, they don't want to see some proto-feminist with a shirt buttoned up to her neck.

You want a kick-ass chick............go watch Buffy or Alias.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/06 at 7:23 pm

What a minute, is this Jennifer Love Hewit's show?

Yes.  JLH is luscios in it.  I swear she just gets hotter every year.  :P

Written By: Gil on 05/04/06 at 12:23 am

Watch MEDIUM if you want to see someone who communicates with the other side and looks like a REAL WOMAN with hips and her own breasts and everything.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 3:35 am

Oh please.

The show has to cater to the demographic and if JLH is starring in it, they don't want to see some proto-feminist with a shirt buttoned up to her neck.

You want a kick-ass chick............go watch Buffy or Alias.

On televion 20 years ago, the racket was, "If we put enough cleavage in there, maybe viewers won't object to lame concepts, lame scripts, and lame acting." Today it's the same, only there's no gamble involved. A big enough marketshare won't even question what kind of insipid swill TV programmers shove in front of them, and the networks know it!  Just keep the cheesecake coming! Buffy, Alias, Xena, they're all pretty lame-o too!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/downtown.gif

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 6:44 am

I couldn't care either which way, as that show sends me to sleep...zzzzz. I thought medium was kitschy, but this is pure, dunno, feels a bit like Charmed without all the demons and magic spells to me.

Not even the evervescent Jennifer Love Hewitt could rescue it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/06 at 8:24 am

Watch MEDIUM if you want to see someone who communicates with the other side and looks like a REAL WOMAN with hips and her own breasts and everything.

Yes...I agree...Medium is a great show, and I love Patricia Arquette's character, Alison Dubois. I like the fact that she is a family women, married with kids....yet she has this special gift that she uses to solve mysteries. Gil, you should join and become a registered member...so that I can give you a karma point! ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/04/06 at 9:13 am

They are both ok shows....

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 9:28 am

You wanna see real women on TV? Watch the Anna Nicole show, or old Simple Life episodes. I know plenty of women like that...spoilt, bratty, credit-card toting chattermatons. Of course they're a small segment of women in general, but a significant one nonetheless.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 9:41 am

You wanna see real women on TV? Watch the Anna Nicole show, or old Simple Life episodes. I know plenty of women like that...spoilt, bratty, credit-card toting chattermatons. Of course they're a small segment of women in general, but a significant one nonetheless.

It's not totally out-of-sync with real life. My brother-in-law said he didn't want my niece to become "one of those UMass girls with big t*ts who thinks the world revolves around her."
:D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 9:44 am

It's not totally out-of-sync with real life. My brother-in-law said he didn't want my niece to become "one of those UMass girls with big t*ts who thinks the world revolves around her."

Paris Hilton syndrome...symptoms include reduced ability to articulate speech, increased sex drive, loss of principles/morals, and an predeliction for 'cuddling' small, innocent chihuahuas....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 11:48 am

Jennifer Love Hewitt  :P  :-*

Written By: STAR70 on 05/04/06 at 1:12 pm

Are you kidding?

I watch the show BECAUSE of the cleavage.  :P

ME 2 !!!!

Written By: STAR70 on 05/04/06 at 1:13 pm

Yes.  JLH is luscios in it.  I swear she just gets hotter every year.  :P

O-O-O-O-O-OH Y-E-E-E-E-E-E-A-A-A-A-A-AH!!!

Written By: STAR70 on 05/04/06 at 1:15 pm

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT????

Written By: STAR70 on 05/04/06 at 1:15 pm

Paris Hilton syndrome...symptoms include reduced ability to articulate speech, increased sex drive, loss of principles/morals, and an predeliction for 'cuddling' small, innocent chihuahuas....

WOOF WOOF!!!! RUFF RUFFF!!!! BOW WOW WOW!!!!!

Written By: STAR70 on 05/04/06 at 1:16 pm

Jennifer Love Hewitt  :P  :-*

JENNIFER LOVE GODDESS!!! OH YEAH!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 5:44 pm

I wanted to say, "but the world does revolve around them!" Those college chicks are the most fawned over and catered to segment of the population, save billionaires. The point is, if you go through life having it all too easy, you become intellectually vapid and indifferent to the needs of others. It can also impair your judgment, as in the case of Natalee Hollaway! That is, If you're in one of the protected classes of the populus (hot college chicks, Wall Street bigshots), you may be blind as to who you can trust when you step outside that protected circle.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pimpflash.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 5:47 pm

Maybe some people want better for their friends/family.  I sure as hell wouldn't want my younger sister turning into one of those types.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 5:56 pm

Maybe some people want better for their friends/family.  I sure as hell wouldn't want my younger sister turning into one of those types.

It's just a phase for a lot of them. They "grow out of it" as their lives progress. It depends. Now, for most of human history the age of 20 was "all grown up." Unfortunately, college has become a protracted form of adolescence and it infantilizes millions who don't have the self-awareness to understand what is happening to them. The real REAL reason everybody is pushed into college in this generation is to keep them out of the job market a little longer, and to sell them all kinds of crap while they're too young to know better! You know, sell them credit cards with 28% interest rates, sell them horrible "Spring Break" junkets to Cancun...
But I digress from the topic.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/04/06 at 6:23 pm

JENNIFER LOVE GODDESS!!! OH YEAH!!!!

You got that right, Star.

I'd party with her any time.  :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 6:36 pm

It's just a phase for a lot of them. They "grow out of it" as their lives progress. It depends. Now, for most of human history the age of 20 was "all grown up." Unfortunately, college has become a protracted form of adolescence and it infantilizes millions who don't have the self-awareness to understand what is happening to them. The real REAL reason everybody is pushed into college in this generation is to keep them out of the job market a little longer, and to sell them all kinds of crap while they're too young to know better! You know, sell them credit cards with 28% interest rates, sell them horrible "Spring Break" junkets to Cancun...
But I digress from the topic.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Correction, the real reason people are pushed into college is because for the most part, you can't get a decent paying job without a Bachelor's degree at the least.  I'm finding that out right now.  Entry-level advertising jobs are hard to find right now.  Also, some parents (like mine) grew up in a time when it wasn't necessary to go to college to get a good job.  You started at the bottom of the company and worked your way up.  My dad makes more right now than 1/2 his staff who have college degrees.  My parents wanted my sister and I to go to college so they pushed at our grades to insure we had the best to get in with.

Check for new replies or respond here...